Using a floor pump

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Using a floor pump

Postby tim_ribs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:26 pm

Now, I did search for the answer to this question, but had no luck. I think perhaps it is too stupid to have ever been asked before?

I'm trying to pump up my high-pressure tyres (the ones with the very thin nozzles) but am having difficulty getting any air in. I connect the pump to the nozzle as per the instructions but all I seem to be able to do is pump up the pressure in the hose to my desired level, without any air getting into the tyre.

I guess, before I blame my pump/tyre, it's probably best to look to the pump operator, so I'm hoping someone can please explain what I should be doing so I can try that first? :)
tim_ribs

by BNA » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

BNA

Postby thomas_cho » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

Have you unscrewed the valve of your inner tube?
thomas_cho

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 pm

Try this:
http://bicycletutor.com/presta-valve/

You don't need the adapter that is shown in the video, but it will give you an idea of how to use the valve. Basically you unscrew the little knob thingy on top until it reaches the top of the valve. If you press the top of the valve at this point you will get a spurt of air - it's now ready. Pop your presta pump attachment onto the valve. The needle on your guage should shoot up if you have it on properly. Then start pumping. Disconnect the pump when ready and screw the knob thingy down.

David
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby stryker84 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:49 am

Spot on, David. Except maybe...
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:The needle on your guage should shoot up if you have it on properly.

... depends on how your floor pump works. Some require you to put a stroke in before the gauge reads the pressure.

Cheers!
stryker84

Postby tim_ribs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:57 am

Ahh, I need to unscrew the knobby thing?! I'll try that this evening.

I know my pump is one of the ones that shoots up since I've used it on my mountain bike which has big valves, so hopefully I'll see some shooting tonight.
tim_ribs

Postby brakepad » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Unscrew the knobby thing and press the top of the valve to break the seal. You will have some air come out and then connect your pump and start pumping.

You will have to pump until the air pressure in the pump hose overcomes the pressure in the tyre. If you are looking at the gauge, you will see the pressure climb until you are able to overcome the pressure in teh tyre holding the valve closed, the pressure will then drop and you can keep on pumping till you reach the correct pressure.

Let us know if you succeed, otherwise people may keep on giving you advice even though you don't need it.
brakepad

Postby tim_ribs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 am

Yep, the unsrewing of the little knobby thing sorted it all out.

Plenty of air in the tyres now, thanks for the help guys.
tim_ribs

Return to The Shed