Scratch build Commuter/Tourer all welcome!

schroeds

Re: Scratch build Commuter/Tourer all welcome!

Postby schroeds » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:45 pm

If you carry 70 kg of gear maybe spend some money on Keown

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Oops...on lightweight camping gear I meant to say

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Why not get the fork that was made for Soma for that frame?
https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/pm-22 ... -fork.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guessing you could match up the same from another brand but will it have the same length and rake,as well as axle to crown lengths?
Also maybe just me but I have run XT 756 hubs on an all weather type wheelset and would put down a few more $$ and get hubs with better bearings to get longer life first off.

mickk

Postby mickk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Yes I am trying to get the fork that goes with the bike and two others, still waiting.

A slab in each pannier and groceries on top, the weight adds up. Where I live now there are no hills, there are no hills on my commute. Its easy riding but no good for fitness.

When I was fit I never used the bottom chain ring, Mt Buffalo, Pretty Sally, Black Spur etc, never needed it with a full load. I have never been able to ride tempo, I just push until I cant push any more then I walk. I would rather walk up a hill than ride say, 26/26. All that energy for nothing I reckon.

I rode many a GVBR in the old days on the racing bike with full panniers using little ring adapters that sat in the traingle of the rear stays. They made mounting a rack possible and away you go, never missed a beat. Old mate on tourer next to me having panniers bounce off, broken spokes etc. Its funny, a good bike can do anything it seems and a bad one will always be bad, jinxed.

I looked at my frame today, I thought the box was empty. 4lbs without forks and it feels lighter. Riders at work thought it was aluminium. I couldnt bring it home today so no pics, but initial thoughts.

Light, very light. A very nice finish, faultless paintwork gloss black, 10/10, not a mark on it. No peeling around the open bits and no sign of blisters. The BB is nicely finished, ready to go no filing needed. All caps in place and some protective foam around the drop outs. All the fittings have good holes and good paint coverage. Feels very smooth, the welds are pretty much invisible. I have to have as good look at them. They cant be hand welded if they are its the best hand welding I have ever seen, but maybe they have a bloke that works the file cheap, I will let you know.

Also very nice to have a frame not covered in oversized garish branding.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Mt. Buffalo, full load, 53t chainring.
No worries, enjoy the walk? :lol: :lol: :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:46 pm

I wouldn't bother with SRAM, particularly the BB7 disc brakes.

I would go the XT hubs built up on some Mavic rims with 36 spokes.

As your running a flat bar setup I'd would hunt down the new Shimano Deore group with its ice tech hydraulic discs and 10 speed clutch style rear derailleur. Choose a double front shifter and mate it with a 105 double front derailleur. On the rear choose the shorter length GS derailleur.

For cranks I would hunt down an old set of Sugino made Ritchey Road cranks with the square tapered bottom bracket interface. External bearing bottom brackets are rubbish if you spend a lot of time in the rain as the flog out pretty quick IMO. For chainrings I'd mount some 10 speed compatible Stronglight or Specislite TA's in your chooses combination.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:39 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:.snip... Choose a double front shifter and mate it with a 105 double front derailleur...snip..
I didn't think mountain bike shifters (10spd Deore, front) and road front derailleurs (105) played well together.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:.snip... Choose a double front shifter and mate it with a 105 double front derailleur...snip..
I didn't think mountain bike shifters (10spd Deore, front) and road front derailleurs (105) played well together.
I have read that it is possible to make it work by slackening of the cable tension.

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:36 pm

mickk wrote:Yes I am trying to get the fork that goes with the bike and two others, still waiting.

A slab in each pannier and groceries on top, the weight adds up. Where I live now there are no hills, there are no hills on my commute. Its easy riding but no good for fitness.

When I was fit I never used the bottom chain ring, Mt Buffalo, Pretty Sally, Black Spur etc, never needed it with a full load. I have never been able to ride tempo, I just push until I cant push any more then I walk. I would rather walk up a hill than ride say, 26/26. All that energy for nothing I reckon.

I rode many a GVBR in the old days on the racing bike with full panniers using little ring adapters that sat in the traingle of the rear stays. They made mounting a rack possible and away you go, never missed a beat. Old mate on tourer next to me having panniers bounce off, broken spokes etc. Its funny, a good bike can do anything it seems and a bad one will always be bad, jinxed.

I looked at my frame today, I thought the box was empty. 4lbs without forks and it feels lighter. Riders at work thought it was aluminium. I couldnt bring it home today so no pics, but initial thoughts.

Light, very light. A very nice finish, faultless paintwork gloss black, 10/10, not a mark on it. No peeling around the open bits and no sign of blisters. The BB is nicely finished, ready to go no filing needed. All caps in place and some protective foam around the drop outs. All the fittings have good holes and good paint coverage. Feels very smooth, the welds are pretty much invisible. I have to have as good look at them. They cant be hand welded if they are its the best hand welding I have ever seen, but maybe they have a bloke that works the file cheap, I will let you know.

Also very nice to have a frame not covered in oversized garish branding.
Thanks for the review on the frame quality, I've been thinking about getting this frame and fork for a while for a commuter build and $390 for the frame is a great price. You've sold me on the frame :)

mickk

Postby mickk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Ive had a good look at it now, it is so light.

THings have been moving slowly, the forks are coming, the ones that were made for the frame. The rear wheel arrives tomorrow, in the end I asked BPW what they had for my specs that are not as easy to fit as you would think, trust me Ivve done the hours on the net and phone, I think so many shops now just think you are price checking, they have given up on service. Young blokes that dont understand how much it costs to run a shop pretending to help you, its very sad.

Ive looked in detail most major brands, all the same now really. Even Campag looks like crap, so I have given up on building a great cool bike and am going to go down the cheap road with parts, maybe now spend half what I was going to. Im thinking second hand ultegra drive train now,lots around lightly used at a good price.

I will get some pics to you soon.

I have new side project, Im rebuilding the Ricardo Nouvo from scratch with NOS parts see other post!

mickk

Postby mickk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Well the wheel was in stock at BPW and it was meant to be at the shop on wednesday. No call, no wheel, Im over the LBS myth I can tell you.

The forks arrived, paint gob as good as the frame. Very well packed in a OEM box.

mickk

Postby mickk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:43 pm

I brought the forks home so I can get the pics rolling.

I think they and the frame are powder coated. Nice finish, nice medium sweep, very happy, weighs about a kilo but huge steerer that will need to be cut down.

I got the triple cross rear wheel. Surprise, surprise, 3X aint what it used to be. The first cross used to be well beyond the hub, big angles. That is triple cross. I got some lame version of it. Pics to follow.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:23 pm

So going cantis now and not the discs?
I kinda like both but tend to use the disc bikes more for commuting nowadays.

mickk

Postby mickk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:16 pm

I was thinking disc om rear, canti on front, Baabs but I am undecided.

Its not as easy as i thought. A staight MTB GS would be the go but the chain rings are too small.

A Road GS has the rings but not the brake levers and gear levers I want.

So I caught between two worlds. I think I am tending toward Shimano now on price at the lower end and good used.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 am

mickk wrote:Well the wheel was in stock at BPW and it was meant to be at the shop on wednesday. No call, no wheel, Im over the LBS myth I can tell you.
Don't jump the gun. I've got a wheelset from BPW that I bought through my LBS that BPW now 18 months later claims they didn't even stock to sell to the LBS in the first place. It's fair to say the wholesalers have their moments too...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mickk

Postby mickk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Well it has been a bot of a labor of love. I ordered the front wheel from the same LBS, hear nothing, contacted them oh yes we will order, heard nothing, called again, "Oh sorry we sold it, we have to order another one". So my last cent has been spent at the closest LBS to my work. Just amazing service, or lack thereof.

Anyway, I collected the bits and pieces. I ended up going with Chainreaction and got caught by their trap of a .com.au shipping out of the UK.

I got, Octane One Warp 1 Sealed Headset 2013
Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Triple Chainset
Shimano Deore HG61 9 Speed MTB Cassette
dura ace 7701 chain
deore m592 rd
deore m591 front
pr m590 trigger shifters
1 x deore 610 v brake for front
pr deore 610 trekking levers
use sx shockpost

$460 all up. The post was 60 and the cranks 95. I think I got good value for money overall but it took too long, too many hours comparing prices.

I had the frame, forks, handlebars, wheels and marathon plus tyres and rack already.

To be honest, I dont like shopping so it was a pain in the arse. The aim however, was to build a tourier similar to the only pre built one that suits my specs, that sells for 2500, for sub 1500. I think I might nudge 2000.

So I stuck it all ina box and couriered it all to THC, Terry Hammond Cycles. "How much to build a bike terry? $150!

I left some meat on the bones for him, so he chose tubes, bidons and cages, grips, bar ends, headstem, some temp flat pedals and a saddle.

I called in today to have a look and size up the steerer tube. Its looking good. I can pick up anytime from lunch tomorrow, but not even a nut case like me is going to ride a brand new bike on the first ride in the rain! so I might wait til saturday.

It was obvious that terry was busier than ever, many bikes out the back being built, many for repair, shop full of stock. There are just not a lot of blokes with his skills in Melbourne and if you are wanting a bike built properly, he is still the man on this side of town. A bike built by him just runs likie clockwork because it is tuned properly, the FD & RD are MM perfect it makes such a differnence in the long term. My previous build from him lasted 20 years withouot adjustment of fd and rd. The frame finally cracked after 20 years, bottom CS near the lug. I told him the other day and he said GIANT would have replaced it under warranty! so more fool me!

Call in if you are in the area, especially if you are a racer. Terry was a fantastic rider, comes from very old, very successfull stock. His grandfather was Stumpy Hammond, an original Aussie legend. Terry knows all the tricks and tips and is happy to share his knowledge with you young guns. He should have been le directeur, but hard to do that and run a bike shop.

So expect some piccies on saturdaay and thanks to all for their advice.

mickk

Postby mickk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:45 am

Got her today, looks beautiful but I think I might be swapping the HS to red. Oh and its 48 38 28, I would have liked to go 50 but I will see how I go.

Turned the cranks over twice and coasted 800 metres with the slight tail wind in complete silence, just beautiful.

Some slight adjustments needed to height and reach to be made and Im done.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:45 pm

looks very nice, you will be surprised how well the 48 chainring will work when your loaded and have been riding for hours on end

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:13 pm

A great commuter build.

Re 48t ring. It will be more then enough for the commute. My commutes are done unloaded but with the 48t I generally average around 29-30kmhr. You only really need the 50 if your planning to join some group rides on your way to work. Even then if your cassette has a 11 or 12 tooth you'll be fine.

mickk

Postby mickk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:48 am

I am getting used to the new geometry and it is settling in nicely. Not a noise from it, even in the last month of rain.

I have only used the gears a couple of times but they move very well. This is precisely the result I was looking for by getting Terry Hammond to put it together. Everything works properly, is well adjusted, nothng rattling or loose. I am still on the flat pedals which work best with work boots.

I do like the front brake, its very smooth I have not used the rear much at all but there is no tic tic tic from it.

I think in another month I will return for a bit of cable tightening. I added a front guard and a foam roll to protect the top tube.

The pack rack is rock solid, I love it, no flexing at all under load.

I have 6 lights going in the morning at 6.30 am and idiots still try to kill me, there is no winning it seems.