Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Saturnstarzz wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Do a search in this forum. This one comes up so often that we could justify a sticky post for it.

If square taper cranks then it could be loose cranks. If so it needs to be fixed immediately - no finishing the ride. However, if you have kept riding it then the damage will likely already be done and no amount of retightening will fix it for long and you will need new cranks.

I can't see splined cranks giving you this particular problem.



+1 for a sticky same as Mavic Hub service.


Nominated and seconded, all those in favour?

Methinks the best idea might be to open the floor for any and all suggestions re diagnosing clicks then condense it down into a single post covering all angles with a dotpoint list of a suggested best order of checking.

Thoughts?

Shaun

Why not just link to the last exhaustive thread on the same subject, just a few weeks ago.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

by BNA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm

BNA
 

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby Dave R32 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm

To add to your database of things that click when pedaling.

On SRAM Force and Red cranksets...both are very susceptible to loosening of the chainring bolts which causes a click and I have seen 2 sets of Red cranks where the assembly mechanism has come loose in the non drive side crank, just enough to cause a click which is extremely difficult to isolate from a BB30 or PF30 BB click.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K = Sold | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista
User avatar
Dave R32
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm
Location: North Lakes - Brisbane

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:18 am

RonK wrote:Why not just link to the last exhaustive thread on the same subject, just a few weeks ago.


It's a sticky - it should be as concise as possible. Any thread, even if it covered all the ground, would be repetitive, somewhat inconsistent and tedious to read. I'm glad that some one is willing to put it together so it is easier not just to find (ie sticky) but to read through (ie stripped down and presented in a logical and readable fashion).

Go for it Saturn.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:01 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
RonK wrote:Why not just link to the last exhaustive thread on the same subject, just a few weeks ago.


It's a sticky - it should be as concise as possible. Any thread, even if it covered all the ground, would be repetitive, somewhat inconsistent and tedious to read. I'm glad that some one is willing to put it together so it is easier not just to find (ie sticky) but to read through (ie stripped down and presented in a logical and readable fashion).

Go for it Saturn.


Damn right, well said Col.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25702
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm

dudleygb wrote:Yeah that's what I got done. I just think it needs a tighten or they did a crap job. Either way, another coil job will cost another 60 dollars elsewhere and a new crank is 100. I might as well just get a spare anyways, CRC prices are pretty good right now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk



You don't need to keep staring new threads for essentially the same problem. IMHO

When you say the pedal became loose. Was the pedal unscrewing from the thread repair or was the thread repair unscrewing from the crankarm?
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
dudleygb wrote:Yeah that's what I got done. I just think it needs a tighten or they did a crap job. Either way, another coil job will cost another 60 dollars elsewhere and a new crank is 100. I might as well just get a spare anyways, CRC prices are pretty good right now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk



You don't need to keep staring new threads for essentially the same problem. IMHO

When you say the pedal became loose. Was the pedal unscrewing from the thread repair or was the thread repair unscrewing from the crankarm?


It started creaking, making a tick tick tick as I peddled. Some suggested some grease and a tighten up. Seems to have done the job for now, although I think it's still good to have a spare crank anyways. No more threads on this subject... Promise.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Helicoil- Not Helical thread

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 pm

dudleygb wrote:,,,snip,,,The helicoil looks like its worked but I see you get another actual re-thread job like this:

http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com.au/ ... hread.html

...snip...


That link is installing a Helicoil
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm

dudleygb wrote:...snip... think it's still good to have a spare crank anyways...snip,,,


Early on I gave you a link for a new crankset for $105. I would have happily paid you $40 plus postage for the bottom bracket and chainrings. You could have ebayed the damaged crank set (got anywhere from $1 to $100). This would have meant you spent less than the cost of the thread repair.

Just live with the repaired crankarm. If the pedal continues to work loose try low strength locktite on the pedal thread.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
dudleygb wrote:...snip... think it's still good to have a spare crank anyways...snip,,,


Early on I gave you a link for a new crankset for $105. I would have happily paid you $40 plus postage for the bottom bracket and chainrings. You could have ebayed the damaged crank set (got anywhere from $1 to $100). This would have meant you spent less than the cost of the thread repair.

Just live with the repaired crankarm. If the pedal continues to work loose try low strength locktite on the pedal thread.


Yeah I saw that, I couldn't wait for the part and then the repair etc etc. I was to impatient. I appreciate your comments though, I might still do that.

For now, I will do as you say, live with it and try the locktite if it starts creaking again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
dudleygb wrote:,,,snip,,,The helicoil looks like its worked but I see you get another actual re-thread job like this:

http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com.au/ ... hread.html

...snip...


That link is installing a Helicoil


I see there's another one though, it's like a spring, like this.... What is this?
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&sour ... 9875636101


Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Helicoil is a brand of thread repair coil.
People often use it as a generic term for a thread repair insert.

A bike shop could have used any brand of thread insert. For example Unior Left Replacement Threaded Insert, Silver 9/16 Unior also make a kit of taps and L and R inserts.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:04 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Helicoil is a brand of thread repair coil.
People often use it as a generic term for a thread repair insert.

A bike shop could have used any brand of thread insert. For example Unior Left Replacement Threaded Insert, Silver 9/16 Unior also make a kit of taps and L and R inserts.


The unior looks the best, pricey, but I could effectively buy it and make up the cost buy doing crank pedal repairs lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Timesert another brand just for interest
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:06 pm

I'll start the guide in the next few days as I have been laid up with Gastro since Sunday.
Image
User avatar
Saturnstarzz
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Tick...Tick...Tick on the pedal/crank area

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Heli coils are better than the original threads have used them for years. You have to know how to fit them correctly or they will fail. Normally after the initial installation you have to retention them also. As for the tick I have two perfect cranks and they do this when the grease dries out in the threads from many washes or riding in the wet and drying out from old age.
User avatar
Dragster1
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 pm
Location: Eluding motorist in Brisbane

Previous

Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gness



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit