How to avoid fixing the same puncture 3 $%## times

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

How to avoid fixing the same puncture 3 $%## times

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Got my first puncture so I used these weirdass little glue patch thingies. How the hell is that supposed to patch a tube anyways, the glue is nowhere near sticky enough and the bloody thing keeps peeling off. WT?!
I remember being a kid and using actual little patches with real glue? Does this stuff exist anymore? Needless to say, I'm sick of fixing the same bloody hole 3 times.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb

by BNA » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 pm

BNA

Re: How to avoid fixing the same puncture 3 $%## times

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Weldtite AirTite Puncture Repair Kit

lots of choices

thx mitz, and I just ordered crap from CRC whilst free shipping was happening last week. :x
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 am

sorry, whilst on the subject, I took the rear wheel off and just fitted my spare tube. If I turn the wheel, the disc brake isnt rubbing, but if I apply the rear brake its like a scrapy sound whilst the front is nice and smooth. Is this because the wheel was taken off? Do I need to adjust stuff after removing and replacing the rear wheel?

BTW, dont you sleep? Pity I wasn't in Perth, do you have a bike shop?
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:42 am

its only about 10.30 here. I have been working night shift so my sleeping patterns are all mixed up.

Remove the wheel. Insert plastic tyre lever between the brake pads and slightly lever them apart. Re-instal the wheel and do up the quick release. Sometimes you have to loosen the quick release wriggle the wheel and redo up the quick release. Squeeze brake lever a few times once wheel is replaced.

Patch kits are cheapish at the LBS. Keep open tubes of glue in the fridge. Allow to warm to room temp before use.

Some people use Shoe goo for puncture repair

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 am

Patch kits are cheap on Flea Bay
eg here and here search heaps to choose from

mitzikatzi

Postby dudleygb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 am

cool thx for the tips, 1 am here, been screwing with this bike wheel lol
I will try wriggle it around a bit more tomorrow, see if I can get the nice smooth glide on the discs, that I had before.
Appreciate all your comments. Haha shoegoo, looks like a great product, and my shoes need fixing. I also just found this lol
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quality-BICY ... 1214956%26
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 am

Throw holey tubes away and replace with brand new, problem solved. Seriously, new tubes are $3ea, why bother stuffing around trying to fix them and then have them go flat again because patch didn't stick properly. I've got better things to do with my time, like riding!
Ross

Postby dudleygb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 am

Yeah true, but I'm a bit of a recycler myself, I like to get maximum use before I trash it. It's not really the cost, it's more an issue of trying to keep green. One of the reasons I started riding.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -bike-blog

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:48 am

I use the Park Tool preglued patches for my backup. If the puncture is small I will just throw a patch on and be on my way, but my last few punctures have been unpatchable. The inner casing of my tyre had split and kept rubbing the tube surface. 3 punctures in 1 week, but without anything penetrating the tyre!
My most recent puncture was the sidewall getting slashed by something embedded in the road surface, and slicing it open as I passed. Hole in tyre was the size of my pinkie finger, and the tube was unfixable.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:06 am

Is the op letting the glue dry before applying the patch?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby dudleygb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 am

Baalzamon wrote:Is the op letting the glue dry before applying the patch?

You need to let the pre-glued thingy dry before applying? Does that work better?
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0
dudleygb

Postby KGB » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 am

For a bad one that splits the tyre, if you have a $5 or $10 note, use it to wrap around the tube inside the tyre. The banknote plastic is strong stuff and will support the tube across the split in the tyre. Bigger notes may work too but I'm not rich enough to find out! I always keep a fiver in the saddle bag.

Ross wrote:Throw holey tubes away and replace with brand new, problem solved. Seriously, new tubes are $3ea, why bother stuffing around trying to fix them and then have them go flat again because patch didn't stick properly. I've got better things to do with my time, like riding!

I'm often inclined to throw away tubes but will usually patch at least once and then keep it as my "spare" tube. I'll use whatever (decent) patches I have on hand. I like the cure-c-cure patches because they're small. The glueless patches are ok, I like them to carry as emergency patches out on the road because they're nice and quick but they usually seem to fail after a couple of weeks at high pressure.
KGB

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 am

dudleygb wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Is the op letting the glue dry before applying the patch?

You need to let the pre-glued thingy dry before applying? Does that work better?

Well with the old type repairs where you have to scratch up the tire, apply glue and let it dry before applying the rubber patch.
There are new self adhesives ones, never used them but they will come off again so you still need to use the old type repairs.

Or get a heap of tubes and better tyres :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby drubie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:39 am

Ah, maybe you didn't read the instructions on the original patch kit. You have to wait a couple of minutes for the glue to dry before applying the patch. It doesn't work like super glue.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:49 am

My understanding of using glue less (ie the pre glued patches) patches.

Roughen up the area with sand paper. Wipe off dust. Peel backing off patch being careful not to touch the sticky surface with your fingers. Apply patch to tube. You do not let the glue dry out.

mitzikatzi

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:12 pm

KGB wrote:For a bad one that splits the tyre, if you have a $5 or $10 note, use it to wrap around the tube inside the tyre. The banknote plastic is strong stuff and will support the tube across the split in the tyre. Bigger notes may work too but I'm not rich enough to find out! I always keep a fiver in the saddle bag.

That is exactly what I did, but the hole was so big that even at 40psi the $5 note was bulging out the hole. It got me home at least. The non cycling folks at work were gobsmacked at how I got home and said they would never have thought of that.
I am going to keep some off-cuts of an old spare tube for emergencies. That is a bit stronger than a $5 note
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:33 pm

queequeg wrote:
KGB wrote:For a bad one that splits the tyre, if you have a $5 or $10 note, use it to wrap around the tube inside the tyre. The banknote plastic is strong stuff and will support the tube across the split in the tyre. Bigger notes may work too but I'm not rich enough to find out! I always keep a fiver in the saddle bag.

That is exactly what I did, but the hole was so big that even at 40psi the $5 note was bulging out the hole. It got me home at least. The non cycling folks at work were gobsmacked at how I got home and said they would never have thought of that.
I am going to keep some off-cuts of an old spare tube for emergencies. That is a bit stronger than a $5 note

Tile cement bag. Got me ~40kms home with a long sidewall gash.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Not spare tube sections they'll just stretch and let go sooner rather than later. You want something non stretchy like sections of sidewall off an old tyre.

Some folks carry a few for emergencies and when bunked down for the evening sew them in place with a needle and thread when bike packing in the wilds off road.

They don't weigh much :)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
trailgumby

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm

I always used to carry offcuts of Velox cloth rim tape actually. Just that last few cm on the roll. Sticky enough to stay in place until you get some air in there but only good for relatively small splits.

Back on topic: traditional style vulcanising rubber patches where you apply the glue - you need to let the glue dry first. Newer "glueless" patches with adhesive on them - peel and stick.
KGB

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:Not spare tube sections they'll just stretch and let go sooner rather than later. You want something non stretchy like sections of sidewall off an old tyre.

Some folks carry a few for emergencies and when bunked down for the evening sew them in place with a needle and thread when bike packing in the wilds off road.

They don't weigh much :)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

thanks for the tip. I'll cut some sections out of my old tyres before I chuck them.

My CRC order arrived today, so I have four new Marathon Plus tyres which should last me 2 years at least.

My current rear SMP is now on over 22,000km of service (after rotating from the front). I should have cut out the sidewall from the supreme before I binned it, but didn't even think about it. I have some used Bontrager Racelite Hardcase (32mm) tyres in my attic that are from 2009, so I might cut up one of those since I am never going to use them again. I really need to do a big clean out.
queequeg

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm

BTW the best patches are the Cure-C-Cure ones.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/weldtite/cure-c-cure-puncture-repair-kit-ec007520?xid=121196&awc=1302_1390221463_30a972893c9eaf2d6f08ebe7b45541fb&utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=Awin&utm_campaign=121196

Pre-glued ones are easy to carry for an emergency, but they have always failed on me eventually. Perhaps they've improved since the last time I used them. On the road I just carry two tubes.

Patching tubes is best done at home with proper glue and patches. Keep the glue tube in the beer fridge so it doesn't evaporate.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby 3DKiwi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 am

I don't bother with patches. New tube every time for me. I buy 10 packs online for about $25. I used to work in a bike shop so have fixed thousands of punctures with patches but can't be bothered now. If you fit a new tube you're not going to have to worry whether the patch stuck or not. The cement we used in the bike shop was a lot better than most of the rubbish in the cheap puncture kits.

The glue really isn't for gluing. Once dry it's provides smooth clean and slightly sticky surface for the patch that's very sticky to to stick on to.
3DKiwi

Postby kb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:27 am

I'd agree with this ^

Although if you can't find the cause of a puncture on the road, a patch may provide more protection.
kb

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm

I swear by these emergency tyre boots for tyre slashes that would put the bike off the road. Saved me on two commutes recently. Also saves finding a note in my wallet :wink: .

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/park-tool-emergency-tyre-boot-tb2/rp-prod13249
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to The Shed