Good place in Melbourne to get tubs glued on

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Good place in Melbourne to get tubs glued on

Postby jasonssv » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:31 am

Just looking for a recommendation of a good shop to get some tubulars glued on in Melbourne area,

I usually do it myself but have a new set and would rather get an expert on these.
jasonssv

by BNA » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:05 pm

BNA

Re: Good place in Melbourne to get tubs glued on

Postby Duck! » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:05 pm

I work in Frankston if that's convenient for you. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby open roader » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:35 pm

jasonssv wrote:I usually do it myself but have a new set and would rather get an expert on these.

Why pay someone to do something you have the skills to do yourself?

After seeing a few fairly poor glue jobs myself supposedly performed by alleged 'experts' who charged for their services, now I only trust my own glue up skills. If there is a technical flaw with your own glue job - it's your own fault - don't risk your teeth on someone else's glue job- esp. if you have worked with gluing singles before.

For a fresh pair of tub rims I add 3 very fine layers to the rims - one at a time with 24hr cure time in between. If the hoops are also fresh then 2 x layers of glue on the tapes - again with 24hr between layers. Then a 4th layer onto the rim - allow this one to just to get tacky then whip on the hoops. Align on the rim, add plenty of air and wait another 24hr before riding. Done this with 2 sets of brand new tubular wheelsets with neat and safe results.

If you have done it before then just take the extra time to glue your own from fresh.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 pm

open roader wrote:
jasonssv wrote:I usually do it myself but have a new set and would rather get an expert on these.

Why pay someone to do something you have the skills to do yourself?

After seeing a few fairly poor glue jobs myself supposedly performed by alleged 'experts' who charged for their services, now I only trust my own glue up skills. If there is a technical flaw with your own glue job - it's your own fault - don't risk your teeth on someone else's glue job- esp. if you have worked with gluing singles before.

For a fresh pair of tub rims I add 3 very fine layers to the rims - one at a time with 24hr cure time in between. If the hoops are also fresh then 2 x layers of glue on the tapes - again with 24hr between layers. Then a 4th layer onto the rim - allow this one to just to get tacky then whip on the hoops. Align on the rim, add plenty of air and wait another 24hr before riding. Done this with 2 sets of brand new tubular wheelsets with neat and safe results.

If you have done it before then just take the extra time to glue your own from fresh.

+1

Other people don't have their skin on the line. Do your own glue job. The above method will work well (although I use different nomenclature).

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Return to The Shed