securing bike to roof rack

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

securing bike to roof rack

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I have never put my bike on the roof before. I'm aware that many have smashed them up there so will tie a ribbon to the cb antenna and put a sticker inside the windscreen to remind me it's there.
The roof was the cheapest way given I already had the rack hanging from the roof of the shed. I am taking the family away to Bright for the alpine classic and it wont fit in the back where it normally goes because of luggage.
A $25- quick release clamp bolted to the rack and I'm away.

I plan to cable tie the back wheel to the roof rack to secure the back of the bike, but I'm worried about the quick release coming loose on the forks where it is secured to the rack. Maybe an occy strap or rope and hitch knot off the h/bar stem pulling the front of the bike down? Any other ideas?
warthog1

by BNA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:56 pm

BNA

Re: securing bike to roof rack

Postby wombatK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:56 pm

The loads born by the QR are much higher when you've got a wheel in the forks - if they can hold up there, you have
no reason to expect they'll come loose on the roof mount. Just make sure you use the same firm tension.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby KGB » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm

A simple velcro tie is usually enough for the rear wheel, personally I use old toe straps. Cable tie will certainly work though as well.
KGB

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks. Just a bit paranoid about it falling off I guess. When I'm riding I can see the quick release and hopefully feel if it comes loose, not that it ever has :idea: :oops:
warthog1

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Seems secure enough to me. Had plenty of time with a QR mounted bike on the roof with no issues, nor with properly tightened QRs on the bike.

As an extra safety feature measure the overall height of your vehicle and start checking the height signs around the place and ask yourself "do i fit?" with and without the bike.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby wombatK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:22 pm

There's plenty of low-clearance under-cover car parks where getting the 4WD with that height of roof rack on it would
be impossible anyway. If the roof rack is not a recent addition, OP would be much less likely to wander
into an under-cover park without checking clearances.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I've had the roof rack and car for 10 years. The roof rack doesn't live on the car anymore as it uses enough diesel without it.
I'm pretty conscious about height but I might measure it anyway.
warthog1

Postby earlybird » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 am

I've got a lockable fork mount which works well for me: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/DAA ... fork-mount
earlybird

Return to The Shed