10spd TT shifters only giving 8 gears

lammy

10spd TT shifters only giving 8 gears

Postby lammy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 am

I just bought some second hand 10spd Dura Ace SL-BS79 TT shifters and am having dramas!!!

FIRSTLY I Installed the levers pointing down, this means the rear index shifter is on the left!!
To get it to match my usual road setup ie rear sti on the right hand side, I have had to swap the lever to the oth bar and turn it upside down! That sound normal and ok?

SECONDLY I simply cannot get 9 clicks. (10 gears) out of this unit!! I started with just 4 clicks then got it to 7 but am missing 2 further clicks!!!! Anybody else had this issue!!!!!

Driving me mad please help me!!!!!!!

Duck!
Expert

Re: 10spd TT shifters only giving 8 gears

Postby Duck! » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:39 am

Shouldn't need to flip them over if swapping from left to right; on either bar, downward-pointing is the slack cable/small sprocket/ring position. Or another way to look at it, the cables run along the underside of the bars.

If you're not getting the full range, you've probably got the indexing washers out of position; it's easy to do. Start with the thick chrome washer; on one side it has a square recess that fits the boss on the shifter base, on the other it's grooved almost the entire way around. The section that isn't grooved points downward. It's the same both sides. Next is a thin, toothy washer, with a small tab bent at 90 degrees to the washer; this tab points away from the shifter guts (into the groove in the previously fitted chrome washer), the inward-pointing teeth vary in width, and match the core of the shifter guts - it will only fit one way.Now bring the whole lot together, lever still pointing down. It should nicely slot together. Fit the two bolt halves & nip it up. You should now have all 10 gear positions (9 clicks).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

lammy

Re: 10spd TT shifters only giving 8 gears

Postby lammy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Duck, thanks so much, I worked at it pulled it all apart reassembled a few times, but managed to get it working!!! I must say the Shimano instructions are useless.