Ricardo Nouvo Reborn to 99.99% original.

mark field

Re: Ricardo Nouvo Reborn to 99.99% original.

Postby mark field » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm

regardless of reasons for your decisions- we are all very interested in this restoration, and to be honest, i quite enjoy watching the comming together of so many NOS parts- (even the reflectors). it can be the little things that make the difference. lets see this beast come together. and fast!!!! :D oh and one thing regarding the reflector bracket- they were usually zinc plated, if you get your hands on one zinc plating like new will set you back about $10. i have a guy here in Sydney that has done all my zinc plating for my 82 Ducati and the finish is superb. will you mind if others help find your bracket? and did it have a round or fancy squarish tapered type reflector?
steel is the real deal.

mickk

Postby mickk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks Mark, I am enjoying it and posting the details should help people looking for 1050 gear.

Re the bracket, it was the squarish tapered reflector, like a shield, I still have it I think its a cateye. I left it on the bracket for years and one day I needed to use the the reflector on another bike because it was the only one I had that had that protruding stud in the right place for the rear rack. So I chucked the bracket in a box with a microscope, dont ask me why, I think it might have been on the bookcase before that. It went from there to a bag of bits, that I rehoused to a box then to a bucket in the garage, but I cant find it. I am going to clean the garage soon, it may turn up.

Zinc ey? Hmm, I dont remember, but it was a sexy bracket as far as brackets went, it was very well machined.

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm

this is what ive been thinking you are after, this style was used for years on bikes, many a cool person ripped them off and consigned them to the bin when they had them on their new bike. i was one such person.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cateye-Rear- ... 5405c32c39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steel is the real deal.

MattP69

Postby MattP69 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:27 am

Doing up a 70's Ricardo myself at the moment. Keen to see your finished bike!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Got my frame back from the powder coaters yesterday. The job is excellent but I am not happy with the colour. The owner was away on the day I dropped it off and the young guy in the office failed to inform me that the silver colour I selected was a satin and not a gloss. My wife says she quite likes it but I am trying for an 80's look to match the vintage of the bike and I'm not so sure. The powder coater said they could remove the coat but they would have to burn it off and I'm not sure whether the thin tubing will cope with the heat. A bit of a dilemma.

I also received the Ricardo and Tange decals from Cyclomondo and they look great.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:22 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Got my frame back from the powder coaters yesterday. The job is excellent but I am not happy with the colour. The owner was away on the day I dropped it off and the young guy in the office failed to inform me that the silver colour I selected was a satin and not a gloss. My wife says she quite likes it but I am trying for an 80's look to match the vintage of the bike and I'm not so sure. The powder coater said they could remove the coat but they would have to burn it off and I'm not sure whether the thin tubing will cope with the heat. A bit of a dilemma.

I also received the Ricardo and Tange decals from Cyclomondo and they look great.
can you get a gloss shine on the powdercoat finish with some 'cut and polish' paste?? or just clear coat it? but if you dont like the colour, i guess there is no loss other than financial and a bit of time should you decide to remove it.
steel is the real deal.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:59 am

It's a metallic. From what I read a cut and polish will not work. I thought about. Coat of clear gloss but apparently it will turn out a bit yellow. Is there a chemical way to remove powder coat?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:37 am

are they prepared to coat another piece (eg fork) for you to do some testing on?
one suggestion for polishing

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:It's a metallic. From what I read a cut and polish will not work. I thought about. Coat of clear gloss but apparently it will turn out a bit yellow. Is there a chemical way to remove powder coat?
if your not happy with the colour anyway, then would it matter if it was a bit yellow?
steel is the real deal.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 am

Spending money for another colour I'm not happy with is not a fiscally good idea.

mickk

Postby mickk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:02 pm

mark field wrote:this is what ive been thinking you are after, this style was used for years on bikes, many a cool person ripped them off and consigned them to the bin when they had them on their new bike. i was one such person.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cateye-Rear- ... 5405c32c39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is close Mark, similar shape and curve but mine was a bit more refined and was not so open on the back, but thanks for looking!

The brakes arrived today, look pretty good to me but its dark. So apart from rims, the job is pretty much finished as far as parts go. I need to decide on the rims, go with existing or wait until I can get new ones. I will get the frame done in about 6 weeks when finances have recovered. I will be selling some NOS Duegi cleat shoes on ebay to help fund. Small sizes mainly, one leather white and blue pair are good enough to put in a showcase, they are just beautiful. I also sell Opals too
http://www.opalauctions.com/stores/kangarooopals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 10% off for all members here.

I feel your pain re the powdercoat mate, sounds like the place I went to 22 years ago. Times have changed. The bloke in the grey dust coat has died. You remember him, he was the bloke that sent three kids to school and paid off his house over 40 years through running the bike shop and making a modest income aka profit. The blokewho had every color and part in his head, knew where to get it if he didnt have it and can rebuild a bike in the dark and did so once on the Suntour. Yes thats him, the same bloke that used to fix kids puntures for free.

In his place is the bloke that has two beemers, a holiday house, 4 kids in private school and no mortgage. You know the bloke, the one that imports things he doesnt even look at from china because there is no need when you are making 300% moving boxes to anyone who will take them. From Kmart to the local chinese $2 shop; if it has to do with bikes, they sell it. Everything that used to be sold by a bike shop you can now buy anywhere. Its all rubbish but 80% of people dont care because they dont ride every day. They will buy the same thing three times rather than buy one good one from a bike shop.

Nowdays, most so called bike mechanincs and bike shops know nothing. Bicycle Mechanic used to be a trade once you know. Instead there are well meaning people who dont have any hands on experience like your new best mate the powdercoaters offsider. They mean well but they just dont understand what they are doing. I think this is because most people today, especially the younger ones, are not encouraged to ask questions. There is also a culture in Australia now of not telling anyone anything, job protection of a sort that stems from a lack of job security that is built on unrealistic profit margins.

So many Bike shops along Nepean Hwy open up and close after a year or two. They cant make money on parts because unless you have an emergency, you buy online or from Big W. They might have done all the courses, have all the right intentions and good stock, but they never succeed today it seems. One reason is because they can build a bike in the shop, it rides well for a week, then the problems begin. They just dont have the experience. I am sure they have the passion these bike shop owners, but they really have no clue.

The only bike shops making money today are those who have good mechanics and service. There are probably 20 bike shops in Melbourne that have been around for 30 years or more. These are the only ones I would go to. They make money from good service to Mum and Dad in Spring when they want to buy bikes and money from real riders throughout the year doing repairs and parts. Nothing is too much trouble and the customer is always right. The price is the price, its not Vic market at closing time. You get what you pay for and the work is guaranteed. If your not happy you can go back and work out a solution, no problems, call again.

There is a bit of a bike resurgrence in Oz atm for many reasons. $2000 fixed wheel Brunswick fashion statements, so somene must be doing well. Many people are doing what I did and such a high demand for old Campagnolo parts is unprecedented since internet sales began. It sure is beautiful to look at, but prices are through the roof and you have to really know what you are looking at to play that game.

I think this boom has 10 years to run max then the trendis in the inner city will have another option. About 2025 when I cant be stuffed pedalling anymore, battery technology will be nothing like it is today. Electric bikes will take over the world just like the first two wheelers ended up doing before Henry Ford. I think this is why some smart Governments here, are now putting in place plans for the future, albeit in a very mild and haphazard fashion.

mickk

Postby mickk » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Here are the brakes, ols and new, mine are pretty good spring feels better but the new ones have not been adjusted, but it was the writing I was after.

I think grey blocks and shoes were standard with original 1050 brakes not black

On to remove the powder coat the weather has held things up.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Getting there with your parts. I'm on the hunt for a new fork for mine (actually had 2 from a couple of cactus Nuovo's but I sold them, doh). I decided to do a dummy build whilst I still dithered on the powder coat and I have discovered that the front wheel either doesn't sit square in the dropouts or the front brake caliper bolt hole is not centered. I tried a number of wheels so it's definitely the fork.

mickk

Postby mickk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Ive managed to get NOS NIB Sl-1050 at last for a reasonable price and also a period SIS RD cable too! I think mine had a white one on it, I guess cheaper than this one. A nice addition to my build.

So thats the GS complete to brand new as was in 1988. The thing with the levers is they have a very unique gasket in them, that rarely comes with second hand ones. They would be very hard to manufacture, here is an old one, They stick like shite to a blanket and get damaged easuily when removed you see. Its good to get them at last.

I havent moved on the frame yet, too busy but I have paint samples that match what I need.

Only decision and parts left are rims. I will post detailed pics of my originals so you can see if I should replace with new old stock if I can find them.

I dont theink there is any point trying to find the original alloy type Weinmann that were on it originally. No one knows what they were, but if I find out one day I will nab them.

I need to get the original seat post ground down to remove a few of the scratches and there is that pesky Viscount 2236 saddle that will bug me like the reflector mount but these are just minor details.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm

I wouldn't worry about the craptastic Velo saddle and just buy the San Marco Concor Super Corsa that it was trying to be.

mickk

Postby mickk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:49 am

Ah was it sss? Thanks for the tip, I will check it out!

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 am

getting down to the nitty gritty- your leaving no stone unturned, its facinating to watch all these parts come together. if you have pics of your badly needed parts then we can all keep an eye open for them.
steel is the real deal.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:37 am

was this something like what you are after?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WEINMANN-CAR ... 3ccbb2a5af" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steel is the real deal.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:05 pm

mark field wrote:was this something like what you are after?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WEINMANN-CAR ... 3ccbb2a5af" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Nuovo came with clinchers. The early model one I had, with the 6200 series Shimano 600, had Araya's. I think I have a one of the Weinamms' that was on one of my Shimano 1050 series Nuovo's.

mickk

Postby mickk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:42 pm

The NOS NIB Sl-1050 arrived and a period RD cable too.

Very happy to have the lil bkack gaskets. They are what are hard to fiind, they get damaged during removal of levers from frame.

I used these for ages. I know them well, so I wanred new ones, that were guaraanteed clean.

The price sticker was a bonus! I guess they would have been about 70 Aussie at the time if they were 15 in the USA.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:48 am

Cool thread. I'm doing a late 80s 105 build on a NOS Reynolds 501 frame at the moment. I'm not being nearly as particular as you (the frame was never built up before anyway so there is nothing to replicate) but it's cool to see the effort you've gone to with yours. For mine I'm buying new parts for those which are still around in the same form - like nitto bars and MKS pedals, tange headset etc. It pleasantly astonishes me how many bicycle components are still being produced, unchanged, for more than 25 or 30 years. Its not unique to bikes, I see it in furniture and homewares also, but for bikes it seems limited to good quality Japanese stuff? (With the exception of Shimano anyway).

Anything 105 from an old, cherished but written-off bike I can reuse I'm polishing up, but I got the 7 speed shifters NOS and the FD NOS NIB which is cool and interesting, even my wife who couldn't care less about bikes was fascinated to peer into a box that had hardly been opened for twenty five years. But I'm going to feel guilty for actually using it I think. Is this normal NOS NIB feeling? It's like the derailler wants me to leave it alone and put it back in the box for another twenty five years.

mickk

Postby mickk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:30 pm

Ok well like all good projects, cash runs dry, so a hiatus but a late run and I can pretty much get it assembled.

I have now purchased some second hand Look PP76 pedals for $100 posted. They are in pretty good nic, 15 years of abuse left in them but that wont be necessary.
They have the usual black marks from the rubbed off plastic from the cleats and the usual scuffs from inserting cleats, but I would rate them 8/10 for a second hand pair, pics over teh weekend.

Im buggered if I can find the HG50 I bought, so had to buy another.

I also plonked on some MACH2 Cds NOS. They were cheap enough, I have been watching same for a year or more, but the $90 postage was the killer and the seller wouldnt ship a second pair for less than another 90 bucks so a chance lost. I just hope they arrive in perfect condition. The seller has included some old school original BMX stickers to make the postage less painful, which I will post here too.

I also nabbed a size 46 NOS NOB pair of Duegi all white leather with red highlights early 90s shoes. I think maybe a half a size too big for me, but another pair for the collection, they are beautiful. I may pass them on as such sizes are rare in this eera of shoe now and it wouild be a shame to hoard them really.

So I think all that is left is to strip the frame and paint it and assembly. maybe a few cables, oh and handlebar tape. I will always have my eyes out for the seatpost NOS and saddle but i can live without them.

I might get the wheels made up first just for fun to look at, I think I desere that treat. I need some spokes too, I want stainless, I wouldnt mind old stainless, but I dont know how to measure spokes, so I need advice on what to use, or just leave it up to Terry Hammond to decide. The original ones, Bugsy Beltrame cut each of them infront of me when they were about 2 months old, he said it was the best part about buildig new wheels. They were obviously only about maybe 50 ents each at the time.

Oh tyres. I had some sexy Kevlar ones that are still on the rims but there is no point in trying to source near 30 year old tyres, I dont think they would be in very good nick, mine are so I just proved I am an idiot. So if I was to go with the best 700 x 15 tyres, what would they be nowdays I wonder.

I have not gone into tyres much. To be faithful to the build, I need your advice on them really.

I will test burning off the powdercoat soon.

mickk

Postby mickk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:33 pm

yugyug wrote:Cool thread. I'm doing a late 80s 105 build on a NOS Reynolds 501 frame at the moment. I'm not being nearly as particular as you (the frame was never built up before anyway so there is nothing to replicate) but it's cool to see the effort you've gone to with yours. For mine I'm buying new parts for those which are still around in the same form - like nitto bars and MKS pedals, tange headset etc. It pleasantly astonishes me how many bicycle components are still being produced, unchanged, for more than 25 or 30 years. Its not unique to bikes, I see it in furniture and homewares also, but for bikes it seems limited to good quality Japanese stuff? (With the exception of Shimano anyway).

Anything 105 from an old, cherished but written-off bike I can reuse I'm polishing up, but I got the 7 speed shifters NOS and the FD NOS NIB which is cool and interesting, even my wife who couldn't care less about bikes was fascinated to peer into a box that had hardly been opened for twenty five years. But I'm going to feel guilty for actually using it I think. Is this normal NOS NIB feeling? It's like the derailler wants me to leave it alone and put it back in the box for another twenty five years.
I agree, old stuff is cool. So much changes so quickly now,

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Don't waste your time looking for old stock tyres, get some new ones. By the way it's been proven wider tyres are faster so source some 25/28mm skin walls.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

mickk wrote: Oh tyres. I had some sexy Kevlar ones that are still on the rims but there is no point in trying to source near 30 year old tyres, I dont think they would be in very good nick, mine are so I just proved I am an idiot. So if I was to go with the best 700 x 15 tyres, what would they be nowdays I wonder.

I have not gone into tyres much. To be faithful to the build, I need your advice on them really.
I just looked at the ricardo catalogs I have (downloads from this forum). The Nouvo had IRC skinwall Triathlon 25s in 1985 and IRC Roadlite 25s in 1987. There is also an IRC Skinwall Roadlite spec’d for 1987 Windcheaters and Elites, possibly not the same tyre, or possibly just a copywriting error. Did your tyre originally have a skinwall? If you don’t need a skinwall for authenticity then you’ve got the current IRC Roadlite as an option, though the logos look like they've been updated (and look crap). Anyway I’d go a skinwall as it suits the period better, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like IRC make skinwalls anymore.

Ricardo used Panaracer Records on their 1990 Pinnacle, so thats another option if its still around.

I used Veloflex Masters 25s for my build last year. Look and ride great, but effing hard to get on the rim. Recommended by forum members here, thought it was a sick joke for a few minutes. :lol: