Ricardo Nouvo Reborn to 99.99% original.

CXCommuter

Re: Ricardo Nouvo Reborn to 99.99% original.

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 pm

yugyug wrote:
mickk wrote: Oh tyres. I had some sexy Kevlar ones that are still on the rims but there is no point in trying to source near 30 year old tyres, I dont think they would be in very good nick, mine are so I just proved I am an idiot. So if I was to go with the best 700 x 15 tyres, what would they be nowdays I wonder.

I have not gone into tyres much. To be faithful to the build, I need your advice on them really.
I just looked at the ricardo catalogs I have (downloads from this forum). The Nouvo had IRC skinwall Triathlon 25s in 1985 and IRC Roadlite 25s in 1987. There is also an IRC Skinwall Roadlite spec’d for 1987 Windcheaters and Elites, possibly not the same tyre, or possibly just a copywriting error. Did your tyre originally have a skinwall? If you don’t need a skinwall for authenticity then you’ve got the current IRC Roadlite as an option, though the logos look like they've been updated (and look crap). Anyway I’d go a skinwall as it suits the period better, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like IRC make skinwalls anymore.

Ricardo used Panaracer Records on their 1990 Pinnacle, so thats another option if its still around.

I used Veloflex Masters 25s for my build last year. Look and ride great, but effing hard to get on the rim. Recommended by forum members here, thought it was a sick joke for a few minutes. :lol:
No prolems with installing my Vf Masters (23s hough, 25's don't fit) as easy as a worn out Conti

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:04 pm

It just depends on the depth of your rim well and how accurate the rim manufacturer is with sizing.

mickk

Postby mickk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:12 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Don't waste your time looking for old stock tyres, get some new ones. By the way it's been proven wider tyres are faster so source some 25/28mm skin walls.
Oh yer? first I heard of that! They did not use anyone over 80 ks for that test. I wonder why they say that? maybe better purchase as the tryre grips or somthing I dunno , I would be interested in hearing why.

I think from memory, the originals, panaracer rings a bell. I flatspotted the rear after a week. I remember riding down the footpath on Batman avenue and they had a driveway cut into it, just a bluestone drop off, 8 feet or road them a blustone riser. Back then it was 12 feet wide the asphelt footpath, no pedestrians just a forgotten route.

So I am fanging down this footpath about 60 at dusk, seen the drop of with about 10 feet to go, couldnt jump it, couldnt bunny hop out of it, so emergency anchors, slid off the edge and hit the rim trying to hop out of it and that was the end of the tyre and tube and nearly me.. Now the replacements, I think they might have been IRC Forte.

When we get the rims, and build the wheels we can look at the tyres. As soon as the rims get here the wheels get built.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:34 pm

mickk wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Don't waste your time looking for old stock tyres, get some new ones. By the way it's been proven wider tyres are faster so source some 25/28mm skin walls.
Oh yer? first I heard of that! They did not use anyone over 80 ks for that test. I wonder why they say that? maybe better purchase as the tryre grips or somthing I dunno , I would be interested in hearing why.

I think from memory, the originals, panaracer rings a bell. I flatspotted the rear after a week. I remember riding down the footpath on Batman avenue and they had a driveway cut into it, just a bluestone drop off, 8 feet or road them a blustone riser. Back then it was 12 feet wide the asphelt footpath, no pedestrians just a forgotten route.

So I am fanging down this footpath about 60 at dusk, seen the drop of with about 10 feet to go, couldnt jump it, couldnt bunny hop out of it, so emergency anchors, slid off the edge and hit the rim trying to hop out of it and that was the end of the tyre and tube and nearly me.. Now the replacements, I think they might have been IRC Forte.

When we get the rims, and build the wheels we can look at the tyres. As soon as the rims get here the wheels get built.
Your still living in the 80's, even the pro's are running 25mm tyres. Have a look at these blog posts - https://janheine.wordpress.com/?s=tires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm

When did 23mm become such a standard anyway? Ricardo were using 25mm anyway on their high end bikes in the late 80s.
Last edited by yugyug on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Doesn't count though. 25c IRC Triathlon tyres run really skinny. Looks skinnier than a 23c. I'm measure one tmw.

EDIT: 25c at approx 100psi measures in at 22.8mm.

Don't buy old stock tyres. I went through some mud and water on the weekend, and the dry sidewalls begun to tear and bulge, even though my tyres are fairly unused. 300km of use after 20 years sitting around, and one tyre is totally dead due to the torn sidewall.
Last edited by QuangVuong on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Undersizing tyres has been a problem for a long time. It was all comes about with manufacturers trying to have the lightest tyre for the weight.