Carbon Creaking?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Carbon Creaking?

Postby RobRollin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Riding my Avanti Giro Pro when I put the power down in a sprint or climbing I get creaking which I presume is from the rear stays or seatpost?

The Giro Pro has carbon forks and rear stays. Ive heard that a creaking sounds means that the carbon is cracked?

Is it normal for carbon to creak?

Thanks
RobRollin

by BNA » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

BNA

Postby MountGower » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

G'day Rob

Frame failure is of a slightly increased nauture when gluing two different tubes like that, but it is still very unlikely. What happens too often is that manufacturers, ignoring the essential nature of certain parts, use cheap bottom brackets because they can't be seen. This is most likely where the creaks are coming from. It can be a little surprising just how short hte lifespan of a BB can be.

As with any replies you get about this, it'll be speculation. Many things can creak, even the frame, I suppose. Perhaps there is another forumite near you or your LBS is still in favour with you. Perhaps venture a little further from home if not.

Good luck resolving this.
MountGower

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Otherwise, try greasing all suspect joints. Yes, even CF parts. There are tales and disclaimers where it is advised not to use grease on CF. But for all practical purposes and bike specific grease, there are no problems.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Sveky » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I had creaking noise with my bike under load like yours and it turned out to be the none drive side crank arm. I simply took it off and put it back on again problems solved hehe
Sveky

Postby m@ » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Sveky wrote:I had creaking noise with my bike under load like yours and it turned out to be the none drive side crank arm. I simply took it off and put it back on again problems solved hehe

Could be a new catch cry for LBS mechanics - "have you tried taking it off then on again?" :lol:
Last edited by m@ on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm

If the carbon is creaking then you have problems...but is very unlikely to be that.For instance I had exactly the same prblem and it turned out to be the cable head needed a drop of lube where it sat in the cable holder on the head tube.Carbon bikes magnify sound.It is more likely bb needs a lube or something similar.
toolonglegs

Postby zoom bean » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm

m@ wrote:
Sveky wrote:I had creaking noise with my bike under load like yours and it turned out to be the none drive side crank arm. I simply took it off and put it back on again problems solved hehe

Could be a new catch cry for LBS mechanics - "have you tried taking it off then on again?" :lol:

rofl :lol: :lol: nice one
zoom bean

Postby rustguard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:23 pm

m@ wrote:Could be a new catch cry for LBS mechanics - "have you tried taking it off then on again?" :lol:

I have no doubt some would. :?

creaking is the bb 99% of the time, don't let anyone face it unless you have had it checked to be out of true

Last night I went for a ride with my gf, she kept complaining of a funny noise on her bike, I could'nt hear a thing, anyway about 3/4 of the way home she complained 3 times of it again, each time it co-insided with me applying my front brakes! Well there was one problem solved
rustguard

Return to The Shed