Pedal Upgrade

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Pedal Upgrade

Postby Chuckles1981 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I just bought some crank brothers smarty pedals and shoes from T-7 :D

As i have never used clipless before or installed them..
:oops:
are the aything tip and hints u guys can give me???

Like which way to loosen the old pedals and how to install the cleats etc..
thansk guys :D
NOW
Trek 7.5 FX
Jamis Ranger 3.0

NEXT
Giant Trance X1
Chuckles1981

by BNA » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:08 pm

BNA

Postby aleg75 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:08 pm

oh no, you wont like those, you had better send them to me :wink:

Have you got a pedal spanner? or an open ended spanner that is long? perhaps the hardest part of changing pedals is getting the old ones off. Use your new pedals as a guide, one is for the left and one is for the right.....check which way the treads go so you know which way to turn the old ones to get them off. Hope that helps....

Cleats, can be a bit of trial and error here, put them on your shoes and see how they feel, some minor adjusting might have to be done to position them better.

The pedals should also have a switch/screw for making it easier/hard to get the cleat out, make it loose so you can get used to having to get the feet in and out.

keep some band aids close! havent heard of many people not crashing when they first go to cleats (myself included).

Ash
aleg75

Postby vx255 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:04 pm

aleg75 wrote:The pedals should also have a switch/screw for making it easier/hard to get the cleat out, make it loose so you can get used to having to get the feet in and out.
Ash

Crank brothers do not have any adjustments of any type, stomp and ride.

CB Vanilla, Candy and Quattro user here :wink:
Striving for mediocrity.
vx255

Postby aleg75 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:08 pm

vx255 wrote:
aleg75 wrote:The pedals should also have a switch/screw for making it easier/hard to get the cleat out, make it loose so you can get used to having to get the feet in and out.
Ash

Leran something new everyday! cheers.
aleg75

Re: Pedal Upgrade

Postby mikeg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Chuckles1981 wrote:I just bought some crank brothers smarty pedals and shoes from T-7 :D

As i have never used clipless before or installed them..
:oops:
are the aything tip and hints u guys can give me???

Like which way to loosen the old pedals and how to install the cleats etc..
thansk guys :D

Park Tool Pedal and removal help
Mike G.

Bike North member
CAMWEST member
mikeg

Postby Pushy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Grease the threads b4 installing, invest in a pedal spanner, right does and undoes the right way and left the wrong way. PS don't forget the bandaids for those skinned knuckles.
Pushy

Postby toff » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:10 pm

The ball of the foot should sit above the pedal's axle when pedalling.

Set your cleats to this position, and get used to riding them.

S tart by installing the cleats so that your feet point straight ahead. If you get knee pain, you can rotate your feet out or in to alleviate it. In extreme cases you may need to get wedges to alleviate knee pain, but you probably won't need to worry about that...

Over time, you will probably find yourself raising the saddle to a higher, more efficient riding height than you are currently using now without cleats. Saddle height can be addressed later in another thread.

Advanced riders sometimes push the cleat back, so that the ball of the foot sits just in front of the axle, but 90% of riders don't worry about it. Steve Hogg recommends riding with cleats in this position.
toff

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 pm

No need to tighten the bejabbers out of the new pedals on install either, the pedalling action keeps 'em tight.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby vx255 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm

aleg75 wrote:
vx255 wrote:
Ash

Leran something new everyday! cheers.

Its what attracted me to them in the first place... nothing adjustable means I cant stuff it up :lol:
Striving for mediocrity.
vx255

Postby MJF » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:10 pm

toff wrote:The ball of the foot should sit above the pedal's axle when pedalling.
... for power, and up to 1cm behind for cadence. According to Zinn, anyway. And Steve Hogg also sets up behind the ball from what I've read (balancing stresses front/rear of knee).
MJF

Postby 531db » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:54 pm

toff wrote:The ball of the foot should sit above the pedal's axle when pedalling.

Set your cleats to this position, and get used to riding them.

S tart by installing the cleats so that your feet point straight ahead. If you get knee pain, you can rotate your feet out or in to alleviate it. In extreme cases you may need to get wedges to alleviate knee pain, but you probably won't need to worry about that...

99 per cent of people have feet that naturally stick out in a pidgeon toed fashion. Stand in a relaxed manner, letting your feet point the direction they naturally want to. Lift each knee in turn and ensure that you have a good comfortable knee rotation action without pain or excessive side to side movement. Note your feet angle as dgrees from straight ahead (left and right may well be different. This is your starting point for cleat angle.
531db

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Are you talking toes pointing slightly out or toes pointing slightly in?

My understanding is that the toes-out stance is the more common, with "pigeon toe" being pointing inward and in the minority.

In any case, you can twist your cleats on the shoes a couple of degrees either side of straight ahead, and you also have a few degrees float when you're clipped in as well.

Cleaer as mud, eh? :lol:
Hawkeye

Return to The Shed