Magellan Cyclo 505

wicksey

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby wicksey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Awesome price on the Cyclo 500.

$79.20 + delivery including an Echo Fit Sports Watch (discount shows at checkout)

https://www.boxlots.com.au/products/mag ... 7621563856

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm not feeling the love for my Cyclo 500. I've found that there's a lot more effort involved to start logging (push button, wait for boot, push touchscreen without gloves) than my Garmin Virb single hardware switch. For navigation, the more comprehensive mapping available on Android apps shows its superiority over the limited routes with OSM. It's cheap but it's also taking up valuable handlebar real estate!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 pm

I've been off the bike for a few months due to a knee injury, part of comping back has included the addition of a PowerTap P1 dual sided power meter. Installed it and paired it with my now standard Wahoo ELEMNT. After a few rides and digesting all the additional data my history with the Cyclo 505 kicked in and I was compelled to give it a run with the PM. I'm really pleased to report that it detected and paired with the PowerTap first go (via ANT+). It also performed over the test ride with acceptable total power data without any dropouts or issues. The only real negative noted is that the 505 only reports total combined power rather than giving separate left/right information.

I won't be rushing back to using the 505 though, particularly as the reason for the PM was for left/right data as my knee recovers.

For reference the 505 which I charged and used is running on 4.10, This wasn't planned, I just grabbed the first 505 I found in the drawer. But I assume if it worked on the really old fw that connectivity would still be the same on the newer fw versions. I would suspect that average power stats would be effected by the same bug which effects Avg Speed where sometimes the clock doesn't stop when you become stationary which was introduced in 4.2x and may possibly have been resolved in 4.4.7 (not tested or verified by me).

Posted this due to the high percentage of folks with PM's who were on the now defunct CycloGPS forum who seemed to have nothing but issues with power meters and the Cyclo.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:05 am

Has anyone been able to properly wipe the device to remove personal information? "Back to factory" and "Restore default" under Product Info still leave user profiles, sensor pairings and past navigation destinations behind.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 pm

octagonalman wrote:Has anyone been able to properly wipe the device to remove personal information? "Back to factory" and "Restore default" under Product Info still leave user profiles, sensor pairings and past navigation destinations behind.
I'm a bit rusty on it now, but I thought a factory reset did just that??? But if you connect to the agent and let it perform a restore the settings and history would come back.

Otherwise the easiest way to completely zero the the unit would be to delete the file systems on the unit (after copying them elsewhere of course). Then connect to the Cyclo agent, it will register that the filesystem is incomplete and download a new image to it. Just don't restore the back up.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

adamadam

Postby adamadam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Just got my Cyclo 500 and realised that it won't pair to my bluetooth powermeter :(

Bluetuxman

Postby Bluetuxman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:48 pm

My 505 was working reliably for years aside from some early issues with the Bluetooth service failing that went away. After updating my phone it didn't work with SMS integration so I went to the latest firmware yesterday after backing up.

Unfortunately now not only did my cadence sensor and power meter [PowerTap F3] stop being detected but I can't even add the power meter back as it is now missing as an option under sensors.

Does anyone know how to roll back the firmware or manually edit the config file to reconnect the Power meter or am I going to have to buy a Wahoo?

awinner

Postby awinner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm

My 505 failed before xmas, rang magellan support and they offered to fix it for $50. Sent it in, couple of weeks later I got a brand new 505 because they could'nt fix the old one.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am

Used mine as a GPS on the motorbike last week...worked a treat...
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

cancan64 wrote:Used mine as a GPS on the motorbike last week...worked a treat...
Picked up a few KOMs on strava? :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 am

piledhigher wrote:Picked up a few KOMs on strava? :)
I might have picked a few up if I recorded it... I did out of curiosity record my ride when I took it to the drags once but discovered that there was a crit ride that used the drag strip so logged the ride as electric bike... I was crossing the 1/4 mile at over 200km/hr but avg speed was 31.4 and top recorded was 112 km/hr... GPS was a bit slow and picking it up https://www.strava.com/activities/495458700
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bane

Postby bane » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 pm

This popped up during a ride yesterday. Anyone seen this before? I think its bluetooth related.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, used to see an error like when I had Cyclo.

I think it indicates the device is running out of memory. You probably have quite a few saved tracks, try deleting them.
Also, if you are a Mac user, be sure to empty the trash can after deletions.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 am

I have been using mine lately and with it been a bit wet I now notice moisture inside the screen.... Its days are limited as this was the first sign before the original one failed when it was under warranty

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am

cancan64 wrote:I have been using mine lately and with it been a bit wet I now notice moisture inside the screen.... Its days are limited as this was the first sign before the original one failed when it was under warranty
Put into some uncooked rice for a few days. I had to do that to mine as i could no longer enter the wifi code.
If the was a way you could open the case, you could place in warm spot and dry it out properly. I have had moisture under the screen for over a year now

mjbmikeb2

Postby mjbmikeb2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:20 pm

I bought a 505 a couple of years ago when it was on sale for $200 but took a break from cycling and didn't have a chance to use it.
I've just updated it to the latest firmware. The battery seems OK although I haven't tried using it for a whole day. I've read through the forum posts and it seems like it was never a particularly robust design - problems with rain ingress and broken mounting tabs.

Is there anything I can do to improve the waterproofness, and does the USB connector on the bottom actually last OK. I doubt the little rubber flap is going to keep out moisture and USB connectors aren't designed for outside use. Do people backfill it with grease to keep the water out?

I would like to use it as much as possible in all weathers, if only to see how well it works so I know what to look for when shopping for something that is more up to date and hopefully robust.

Mike

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Mike,

I have both a 500 and 505. I like them and use them regularly. But as you say, there are problems.

The battery is not ok. It won’t go the distance on a long ride. The nominal 12 hours is only if you’re not using navigation or ride recording functions. Using either/both of these will reduce the battery’s time substantially.

Mounting tabs are a problem, unless you ensure the unit is mounted correctly EVERY time. The way to this to push the unit down somewhat forcefully before beginning the quarter-turn-to-lock. This usually requires pushing the mounting bracket up from below with your other hand, while pushing the unit down at the same time. If you don’t do this, unit’s mounting tabs or the mount itself can be damaged. Or the unit can come out of its mount unexpectedly when riding on rough ground.

I’ve had minor water ingress with both units. This only becomes apparent when using the unit later on in the sun, and the condensation forms below the screen. Not sure where the water is getting in – edge of screen, USB port, or barometric pressure holes. Drying the units out has taken some effort. I tried the rice ‘trick’ and it didn’t work. So I’ve left the units upside down on an indoor window sill in the sun, with the USB flap open. That worked.

I’m not sure where the water is getting in, so when it rains I’ve covered the units in plastic (cling wrap or plastic bag) or put them in my jersey pocket. Not the solution you’re looking for, I know. Sorry.

I've had no problems with the USB connector on these units.

Sully

Postby Sully » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 am

Fingers crossed.
I've not had one thing go wrong with mine.

fab4272

Postby fab4272 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:55 pm

ROM V 5.0 is now out for other devices, but not yet the 505.

Wonder if our device will ever see another ROM/Map update?

v5.0 improvement list
2018-03-05 08:04:12
V5.0.9 improvement list (Cyclo 605/405/400/205/200)
- New update of OSM maps Q4-2017;
- New update of address and POI data;
- Add LAP info in Dashboard (Cyclo 605/405/400);
- Allow to disable elevation graph in map screen (Cyclo 605/405/400);
- Add railway on map display;
- Support standalone magnet-less speed sensor and cadence sensor (Cyclo 205);
- Fix re-route issue for surprise me track;
- Fix missing special Romanian characters;
- Fix wrong speed & distance issue during indoor training (Cyclo 605/405/400);
- Fix dashboard info field issue (Cyclo 205/200);
- Fix missing some UK postcode (Cyclo 205/200);
- Other bug fixes to improve quality;

Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Boxlots have these for $75, free post, for those interested.

Is here any way to edit the POI database? For bush tracks with no real street address, it's very hard to "navigate to" a point. The address lookup requiring he suburb is also terrible for bush areas where you might know the road, but not the locality. It's not well suited for off-road really. The OSM maps are not good in Australia (often worse than the HERE maps) and they can't be updated.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Ferret wrote:Boxlots have these for $75, free post, for those interested.

Is here any way to edit the POI database? For bush tracks with no real street address, it's very hard to "navigate to" a point. .......
Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for. It's a little hard to find.

1 - Press the green 'Navigate' button at the top right of the main menu.
2 - Press the right arrow button twice, at the bottom of the next screen.
3 - From here you can choose either 'Point On Map' or 'Coordinate' (Lat/Long).
4 - You can then navigate to either of the above, or save the location as a 'Favourite'.

Edit: it's the 500 which Boxlots have on sale for $75. Not the 505. Almost as good and still does the job.

Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Sorry! Very true it is the 500, but there isn't a lot of difference.

Yes that method works but it's very labour intensive and requires a hell of a lot of scrolling at zoom levels which don't even show all the roads (or the park boundaries etc), or zooming in far enough to find the road you want then following it. Ok for a short hop, but not practical for setting up points a day's ride away. It's a shame it doesn't take waypoint files like a more navigation-centric GPS unit, considering that's the market it's trying to play to, apparently. At the price it's ok, but at $150+ there is no way I'd get a cyclo for its stated purpose - I'd get a small garmin instead which will take 2000 waypoints I can just upload into it and navigate to.

fab4272

Postby fab4272 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Another update to the Cyclo 605/405/400/205/200, but noting for the 505.

I really think this is the end of the line with regards to firmware updates for this device. Such a shame. I got mine 1.5 years ago and the maps on it were 2015 already. Now into 2018 and they are 3 years old.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 am

can you install OSM maps.. I know you can for my Garmin 1000

fab4272

Postby fab4272 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Not possible. The maps are baked into the firmware on these devices. Only way to get an updated map is via the firmware.