Magellan Cyclo 505

slaw

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby slaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

I had the issue of no updates to Strava. Tried linking through mioshare and the weekend rides have come through to Strava. Thanks Chiips.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:30 am

yepThanks. Linked via mioshare and now its working again!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 am

Yep me three. Thanks @chiips
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Chiips

Postby Chiips » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:37 am

Yup thanks Chiips, problem solved.

Tried out Live segments for the first time and it had me in red/behind by 2-3 seconds the entire way (30+secs segment)....but ended up beating PB by 1 sec according to Strava. hmm

Picyclist

Postby Picyclist » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:07 am

Hi all. A couple of days ago one of my rides didn't upload via cyclo agent. Does anyone know how to to upload just a single ride? Thanks, Owen.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:41 am

I posted my dead Cyclo 505 to the repair shop on Monday and at the same time posted my dead Garmin 1000 to their repair shop...which was in the same suburb.... replacement Garmin turned up this morning and just got notification that the Cyclo is in there system
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 am

Picyclist wrote:Hi all. A couple of days ago one of my rides didn't upload via cyclo agent. Does anyone know how to to upload just a single ride? Thanks, Owen.
If you want to put it on magellancyclo.com, log in, hover your mouse pointer over the magnifying glass, click on upload. Copy the GPX file from Mgn_data/dodge/tracks/%profilename%/ directory (remember to plug the GPS into the USB).

If you want to go to any of the other sites, if they take the .fit file it is smaller and quicker to upload that. (Strava, Training Peaks, etc).
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Velt

Postby Velt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Is there a way to turn off alerts that popup when it loses detection of sensors? Really annoying when it pops up saying its lost connection to my cadence sensor all the time.

Sully

Postby Sully » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Wifi sync deletes my live segments

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:00 am

Hi Folks,

On the weekend changed my SC connection from ANT+ to BT. I did this as with 4.2.4 and 4.4 I've had issues where the 505 intermittently hasn't stopped the active time counter when the bike is stationary. This effects several metrics, but most importantly for me the "Average Active Speed."

I haven't used BT as a sensor communication since the issues back at 4.0. Yesterday I participated in the Cycle of Giving ride and had 3 Application errors:
Cyclo505 wrote: Application MioBT.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down.
Eventually during a rest stop around 75km in I managed to get the bike far enough away from everyone else's and paired the SC sensor again using ANT (easy with MioBT.exe shut down), and I completed the remaining 60 odd km without issue.

Question is, are you using ANT or BT for your SC Sensor connection with 4.4? If BT is it working OK?

Second question would also have to be asked but is more difficult to answer. Looking at the ride history, or via a tool which does NOT play with the data (so Training Peaks, definitely not Strava), have you noticed that your average speed is lower than it should be, or when compared with Strava which plays with the data to remove time spent stationary?
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 am

FWIW I have a Cyclo 105 (baby brother to the 505) paired with the Magellan supplied speed and cadence sensor. It over-estimates my speed by around 1 to 1.5 km/h. It's annoying.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:FWIW I have a Cyclo 105 (baby brother to the 505) paired with the Magellan supplied speed and cadence sensor. It over-estimates my speed by around 1 to 1.5 km/h. It's annoying.
Without having experience with the 105, that should be easily fixed. Ensure you have the normal air pressure in your tyres, put a dab of paint/grease/anything sticky on the rear tyre. On concrete ride in a straight line until the dot is no longer visible. Measure the distance from the first dot to the last, divide by the number of revolutions and you will have a very accurate figure for your true rolling circumference.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I bought a 505 2nd hand off a guy who was selling stock from an LBS he said had closed down. I know that sounds dodgy but he struck me as a legit person for a few reasons I won't bore you with.

the problem is that it may have been a demo model as it had already been used, just a little. it now doesn't pick up satellites. I gave it to a mate, assuming it just needed some settings tweaks or a firmware update. turns out I was wrong. he's contacted Magellan and they've confirmed that it's locked and they can unlock it if he supplies the contact details of the previous (registered) owner.

we can't do that. what right does Magellan have to do that? it's none of their business, surely? anyone ever encountered this?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:20 pm

If the Cyclo is registered to a user account, then you won't be able to upload data to any other account. That is your problem and nothing to do with Magellan. Without contacting the registered owner, how would they know the unit is not stolen? Get back to the person who sold it to you. He should have deregistered before selling it.

However, not detecting the satellites is a different issue.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:24 pm

RonK wrote:How would they know the unit is not stolen?
why do they need to know? obviously people are going to sell these things onwards on the 2nd hand market. imagine buying a 2nd hard car and it not starting, then being told "how do we know you didn't steal it?" and trying to track down the seller to get them to vouch for you. it's ridiculous. if it's stolen, the true owner can just report that against their account. they don't need to assume it's stolen and go from there.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:29 pm

jules21 wrote:
RonK wrote:How would they know the unit is not stolen?
why do they need to know?
Are you serious?

Surely you realise Magellan has a legal obligation to the registered owner?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:39 pm

RonK wrote:[Surely you realise Magellan has a legal obligation to the registered owner?
I'm the owner. their records are simply out of date.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm

jules21 wrote:
RonK wrote:[Surely you realise Magellan has a legal obligation to the registered owner?
Umm, your not the registered owner, sorry.

The registered owner can as Ronk pointed out 'de-register' the device simply and easily by logging into the portal and updating their profile. I'd suggest contacting Magellan and argue your case, however consider for a moment, if you suspect that it may have been stolen that it is a crime to receive or aquire stolen goods. I'd go back and see the person from whom you purchased it from.

I for one like this feature, if my device gets stolen, and then sync'd after a ride, I'll be the one sent the ride details. Bit like someone stealing an iPhone...

BTW, not picking up the satalites isn't due to registration. Something else is the cause of that one.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:16 pm

PiratePete wrote:
Umm, your not the registered owner, sorry.
the term 'owner' has a specific meaning in law. trust me, I'm the owner. if you purchase a product from its legal owner, then you are the rightful, legal owner. there is nothing the product supplier can do or say to change that.

what is separate is licensing of software. the supplier can licence that to a specific person, who is not the owner, but the first purchaser.
PiratePete wrote:The registered owner can as Ronk pointed out 'de-register' the device simply and easily by logging into the portal and updating their profile. I'd suggest contacting Magellan and argue your case, however consider for a moment, if you suspect that it may have been stolen that it is a crime to receive or aquire stolen goods. I'd go back and see the person from whom you purchased it from.
I have no reason to believe it's stolen. I'm not going back to that person. I did purchase it from his home and he gave me his address. hardly SOP for a thief.
PiratePete wrote:I for one like this feature, if my device gets stolen, and then sync'd after a ride, I'll be the one sent the ride details. Bit like someone stealing an iPhone...
you don't need to receive the ride details! I (or my mate, same difference) have identified myself to Magellan!! if it's stolen, Magellan are free to tell the police, come and see me, or pass on my details to the owner. I'll give it back, even though I paid money for it and wasn't the thief. but that's not the issue here - they're not accusing us of stealing it. they just don't want to help, in case it was stolen. leaving me with a useless device is no skin off their nose, particularly as I didn't buy it from them directly. and frankly, at this rate, never will.
PiratePete wrote:BTW, not picking up the satalites isn't due to registration. Something else is the cause of that one.
but Magellan have said they'd fix that if we identify the previous owner. honestly, I would have got the owner's details if I knew Magellan were going to require that. it's completely lacking in transparency to make that demand arbitrarily after I've purchased it. which was a while ago, which is one reason I can't practically go back to the previous owner.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:08 pm

jules21 wrote:
PiratePete wrote:BTW, not picking up the satalites isn't due to registration. Something else is the cause of that one.
but Magellan have said they'd fix that if we identify the previous owner. honestly, I would have got the owner's details if I knew Magellan were going to require that. it's completely lacking in transparency to make that demand arbitrarily after I've purchased it. which was a while ago, which is one reason I can't practically go back to the previous owner.
There is no way that Magellan or any other GPS manufacturer can block a device from receiving satellite signals.

As previously stated, registration only provides access to upload data to the Magellan Cyclo web site.

Argue/rant as much as you like, it won't change this simple reality.

Actually, pointless arguing here at all - go back to Magellan with proof of ownership, and argue with them.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:17 pm

RonK wrote:There is no way that Magellan or any other GPS manufacturer can block a device from receiving satellite signals.
sure they can. GPS signals aren't free-to-air, they're licensed to customers. Magellan is the customer, who then re-licences the signal to their customers (purchasers of Magellan GPS products). when you plug the device into the interwebs and Magellan's servers, they can upgrade or downgrade the firmware as they so choose. including to block its reception of their supplier's GPS signals. I don't know if that's what they've done, but they have told my mate they can help, but only on condition that (as discussed).

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:37 pm

jules21 wrote:
RonK wrote:There is no way that Magellan or any other GPS manufacturer can block a device from receiving satellite signals.
sure they can. GPS signals aren't free-to-air, they're licensed to customers. Magellan is the customer, who then re-licences the signal to their customers (purchasers of Magellan GPS products). when you plug the device into the interwebs and Magellan's servers, they can upgrade or downgrade the firmware as they so choose. including to block its reception of their supplier's GPS signals. I don't know if that's what they've done, but they have told my mate they can help, but only on condition that (as discussed).
Repeat...

Argue/rant as much as you like, it won't change this simple reality.

Actually, pointless arguing here at all - go back to Magellan with proof of ownership, and argue with them.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:08 pm

RonK wrote:Actually, pointless arguing here at all - go back to Magellan with proof of ownership, and argue with them.
I was really seeking advice from anyone who may have had the same experience as me. I didn't envisage getting into an argument over whether I stole the thing or not :)

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 pm

jules21 wrote: ...if you purchase a product from its legal owner, then you are the rightful, legal owner.
Interesting theory.
jules21 wrote: I'm not going back to that person. I did purchase it from his home and he gave me his address. hardly SOP for a thief....

...but Magellan have said they'd fix that if we identify the previous owner.
Sounds like from what you've said that all your problems will be resolved if you get the device registered.

Without being able to register your device the only troubleshooting step that I can think of for you is to factory reset the device, power cycle and then leave it outside with a good view of the sky for a couple of hours (remember to disable the power saving function). After a factory reset it will need to obtain satellite signal and wait for the re-transmission of the almanac before it will give a position. Another power cycle should see it come up with a location within a minute or so.

Without sounding argumentative, I'd be contacting the seller and getting them to de-register so you can resolve the issue with Magellan and take advantage of the features available, regardless of the outcome from the factory reset.

Good Luck.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:39 pm

jules21 wrote:
RonK wrote:Actually, pointless arguing here at all - go back to Magellan with proof of ownership, and argue with them.
I was really seeking advice from anyone who may have had the same experience as me. I didn't envisage getting into an argument over whether I stole the thing or not :)
We are aware that others have found themselves in this situation, and have informed you how to resolve it. When I sold my Cyclo I made certain to deregister it before passing it on.

You chose to argue the rights and wrongs of the situation, and interpret it as an accusation that you stole it. But the previous owner failed to deregister it - that is his fault, not Magellan's.

I don't have the problem - you do. If deregistration will indeed fix it, then you will need to cooperate with Magellan to get it done. Approaching them with an attitude is unlikely to be helpful.