Magellan Cyclo 505

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I've just bought the Magellan 505. I've used for a couple of very short rides, just testing it out as you do. It's my first real cycle computer (I don't count Strava on my iphone). It seems all good in terms of recording the ride. My issue is in the set up. For starters I can't get a WiFi connection happening (home WiFi works fine for other devices). In fact the Magellan recognises the WiFi a/c but tells me I need to register first before I try WiFi sync. Well guess what? I've registered 3 times already. Another issue is that I can't download rides. I need to download a Browser Plug In but it won't let the plug in download complete.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had some similiar issues? If so how did you overcome them.

Btw, I'm running a laptop and it is the latest Windows....8.1 I believe.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 pm

If you haven't got the portal working, then you cannot have registered the device.

If the plugin won't install then there must be a browser issue. I would download Safari and install the plugin, then connect the device and register it.

As I recall the register button is quite small and not very obvious.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:45 am

Cheers RonK, I didn't have the Safari browser so I downloaded it. I then tried to install the plug in through Safari. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Thanks anyway

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:Cheers RonK, I didn't have the Safari browser so I downloaded it. I then tried to install the plug in through Safari. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Thanks anyway

Wierd - did you get any message or error?

Try another computer perhaps.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Finally got it working...I tried my daughters Mac, which is a few years old and has an older version of safari on it. Worked like a charm. I now have Wifi and can access the Cyclo portal. I would have thought that Magellan would have everything in order for the latest Windows platform and the latest Internet Explorer browser. Alas, they do not and that was my problem. It took me a while to work out but I got there in the end......Why is it whenever we need help and support, it's either the start of the weekend (or long weekend) and no one is available until Monday?

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Good stuff. I'm using the latest version of Safari though so I think there is an issue with your laptop.

To install firmware updates you'll need to install the Cyclo Agent on your Windows laptop. It will check what version you have and see if it's current.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mickzo
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby Mickzo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 am

How do you find the Magellan unit? Been thinking of replacing my garmin unit and I am looking at that unit.

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi Mickzo,

Originally, I was looking at the Garmin 810 but after a bit of research and reading some reviews I went with the Cyclo 505. I mentioned that I've never had a decent cycle computer before. I had always used my iphone or prior to that Bontrager trip meters. So, I may not be the best person to listen to.

The fact is I love it. I went for a really interesting ride the other day. It has a feature in 'Navigation' whereby you can select either the amount of Kilometers or the number of hours and the computer will bring up 2 or 3 different looped (takes you back home) routes, each with different grades of difficulty. The maps come preloaded and are easy to read.

It has all the other features you would expect such as Speed (GPS & Sensor logged), Cadence, Heart rate, Power plus a few more.

It also talks to your computer so you can upload to Strava.

It's early days yet and I'm still getting to know it. I'm wondering if the advertised 12 hours of battery life is accurate. I only see one or two bars of charge left after my 3 to 4 hour rides. So, I haven't tested that out yet.

I'm a bit annoyed as I have a Wahoo Blue LE heart rate monitor and despite numerous attempts I can't get it to pick up this heart rate monitor. I might have to bite the bullet and buy the Magellan Ant plus heart strap.

All in all, I'm very pleased.

Let me know how you go

Mickzo
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby Mickzo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Mikeyg, thanks for letting me know your thoughts on the unit. I'll have to find a store that has them in Melbourne then go and check it out. Might be a while before I get one as I'm considering a trainer for winter training first.
Mike

User avatar
antigee
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi I'm interested in how you got on with the mapping - main reason for buying one would be for mrs antigee - her polar is dead and I'm fed up with her taking mine and having to draw detailed route maps - having the cycle trail overlays is key - would rather ride a trail or quiet road than a direct highway - have you used this at all?

I emailed Magellan for who actually had stock (I'm on border Kew East/Balwyn) and couldn't tell me just referred me back to useless on line directory and I'd already tried those - some internet searching and looks like Yarra Mtb (not exact name but the good shop) in Lillydale and Trailmix at Lysterfield may have stock

if the last poster finds anywhere nearer the CBD I might be interested as though I'd happily give either these shops my custom it means making a special trip out

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 pm

HiAntigee,

I ordered my Magellan online from Johnny Appleseed GPS. I ordered on a Tue and had it delivered by Thursday. They also have 'walk in' shops in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Here is a link

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/contactus.aspx

Mate, I use it for road riding only and not trails. I have it set to avoid main roads however and it does a fantastic job on that. Maps are clear and easy to read also. You might want to give her your Polar and you keep hold of the Cyclo. Good luck

User avatar
antigee
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby antigee » Thu May 01, 2014 11:23 am

Cheers MikeyG - they are great options an internet store that also has a shop in St Kilda which I'll be pretty near on Saturday

probably mislead - wrote trails but meant shared used paths - like the Yarra trail and harder to follow ones - think the original press release claimed had used open source mapping to include these and that is one of the attractions of this product alomng with avoiding main roads - good to hear that works

.... as to passing on my old technology - doesn't work that way in our house :roll:

User avatar
SheikYerbouti
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby SheikYerbouti » Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 am

If you want one, try Dick Smith.
Currently $359, and recently they're having regular "11% off everything" sales (eg yesterday) taking it to more like $320. Plus free shipping compared to $8.
http://www.dicksmith.com.au/health-fitn ... sau-se5040
That's an amazing price compared to the equivalent Garmin.
That said, I live near Johnny Appleseed and they're a good shop.

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:12 pm

antigee wrote:.

.... as to passing on my old technology - doesn't work that way in our house :roll:


Lol....Not even if the deal is sweetened with say....shoes or a handbag???

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5359
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby Comedian » Fri May 16, 2014 5:02 am

A friend has just bought one of these. Looks very good and was easy enough to set up .. BUT…

Coming from a Garmin centric view my main concern was that it didn't have an ability to mark a lap. IE so you can press the lap button to compartmentalise your workout. Say you ride to area where you train… I'll often put the lap button at the bottom of my favourite climb and then again at the top. This lets me see the data for just the climb while I'm climbing (VERY handy) and enables me to look at just this portion afterwards.

Surely they have this somewhere? Earlier Magellans had it? I'd love a hint with this! Surely its just called something different? :)

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Comedian wrote:Coming from a Garmin centric view my main concern was that it didn't have an ability to mark a lap.

It's not a Garmin, and doesn't simply try to mimic what a Garmin might do.

Perhaps you have completely missed the point that the 505 is about navigation, not training. It does have some workout functions based on it's routing capabilities, but that is it.

And it's the reason that Garmin has had to rush the Edge Touring model onto the market.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Comedian wrote:. Surely they have this somewhere? Earlier Magellans had it? I'd love a hint with this! Surely its just called something different? :)


Sorry C, you won't find anything like that on the Cyclo 505. Best you can hope for is post analysis after you've downloaded to Strava.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Cyclo 500 series - Cyclo Agent Firmware Update

Latest Version 4.0

The Magellan Cyclo Agent provides the latest software and map updates to Cyclo 500 series devices. The updates will prompt automatically when the device is connected to your computer.

V4.0 top features
• Improved title bar with clear overview of the sensors connected
• Improved profiles of the connected sensors
• When the connection is being made, the activated sensor icons will be blinking
• Sensors will be linked to an unique profile
• Unwanted sensors will not be picked up anymore
• Support of Di2 on ANT+ devices (Di2 Wireless unit required)
• The “Where am I” function allows you to display your current GPS location with the coordinates info
• Unexpected traffic event can be avoided via the detour button on the map screen
• Support of different map schemes
• Improved MTB route calculation
• Display % of unpaved roads in a Surprise Me route for MTB
• Odometer added in history which provides details on your rides whether they are recorded or not
• Improved File sharing possibilities. Sending and receiving of a track can be activated manually
• Page sliding – allowing to swipe with finger to move to other screen
• Improved track navigation
• When changing the route settings, the track will be recalculated
• Able to select tracks based on the closest distance
• Add message in Main menu when device is locked
• Improved visibility when following a route over unpaved roads
• Only the arrows of the selected route will be visible when navigating to a Surprise Me route
• Able to select position on map or enter coordinates for home address
• Allow navigation to the centre of a post code
• Streets are shown on higher zoom level

For Cyclo 500/505 only
• Support of bluetooth HR & SAC sensors
• Music & Message icon will be available when connected to Phone
• Connects your iPhone or Android phone to Mio Cyclo allowing you to view who is calling or reading an SMS
• If connected with headset+Microphone (wired or BT) a call can be answered
• Allow you to control your music
• Allow you to check your playlist (iPhone only)
• When you are connected to an Android phone, an SMS can be sent to a contact with the exact location using the “Where am I” function.
• Voice instructions can be provided when connected to Android phone and a Bluetooth headset

For Cyclo 505 only
• Get corresponding resistance when connected to Elite digital Qubo, Tacx Bushido or Tacx Genius during indoor navigation using Surprise Me, navigation A-B or track
• Improved ANT+ powermeter supporting Quarq, SRM, Cyclops and Stages

Note: For Android phone users, the CycloSmart application is required for your Cyclo device to communicate with your Android phone. The application is available on Google Play.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

petie
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: The Ice rink, bring skates

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby petie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Just looking for some further feedback from the OP or others. I know there was a recent firmware update, has this been a positive step or negative?

I'm keen to get back in to heart rate training and have been looking to buy a monitor. For the price and awkwardness of the monitors around, these all-in-one "un-complexicating" computers are a no brainer. I'm leaning towards the 105HC (partly because I'm not made of money) but am intrigued by the mapping function of the 505.

Are people regularly using the surprise me function, and are the "avoid main roads" and "shared path" options really working? As much as I want a HR training device, I don't race or set crazy goals. A nice ride through the countryside will suit me fine and if the computer can sort the route for me all the better 8)

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm

petie wrote:Just looking for some further feedback from the OP or others. I know there was a recent firmware update, has this been a positive step or negative?

I'm keen to get back in to heart rate training and have been looking to buy a monitor. For the price and awkwardness of the monitors around, these all-in-one "un-complexicating" computers are a no brainer. I'm leaning towards the 105HC (partly because I'm not made of money) but am intrigued by the mapping function of the 505.

Are people regularly using the surprise me function, and are the "avoid main roads" and "shared path" options really working? As much as I want a HR training device, I don't race or set crazy goals. A nice ride through the countryside will suit me fine and if the computer can sort the route for me all the better 8)

I think I've post before, the Magellan is slanted towards navigation, not training. It has a quite useful HR function, but it's not as comprehensive as Garmin.

The avoid main roads and cycle route options do work, but you get one or the other, i.e if you select avoid main roads, then it will join up bike paths which can result in quite convoluted routes.

But you can set up multiple profiles with different routing preferences. For my roadie profile I have prefer main roads, but for my touring profile I have allow main roads and allow cycle routes. For my MTB profile I have allow unpaved roads as well.

Surprise Me function works quite well.

Both of these options would be of more value at locations you are not familiar with. Around your local area you probably already know the best routes and alternatives anyway and won't use them much.

I have installed the firmware update but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet. Unless it has introduced any major bugs I can't see it being negative.

You may find it worthwhile to download the user manual for additional information.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikeyg63
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby mikeyg63 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 am

RonK wrote:
petie wrote:Just looking for some further feedback from the OP or others. I know there was a recent firmware update, has this been a positive step or negative?

I'm keen to get back in to heart rate training and have been looking to buy a monitor. For the price and awkwardness of the monitors around, these all-in-one "un-complexicating" computers are a no brainer. I'm leaning towards the 105HC (partly because I'm not made of money) but am intrigued by the mapping function of the 505.

Are people regularly using the surprise me function, and are the "avoid main roads" and "shared path" options really working? As much as I want a HR training device, I don't race or set crazy goals. A nice ride through the countryside will suit me fine and if the computer can sort the route for me all the better 8)

I think I've post before, the Magellan is slanted towards navigation, not training. It has a quite useful HR function, but it's not as comprehensive as Garmin.

The avoid main roads and cycle route options do work, but you get one or the other, i.e if you select avoid main roads, then it will join up bike paths which can result in quite convoluted routes.

But you can set up multiple profiles with different routing preferences. For my roadie profile I have prefer main roads, but for my touring profile I have allow main roads and allow cycle routes. For my MTB profile I have allow unpaved roads as well.

Surprise Me function works quite well.

Both of these options would be of more value at locations you are not familiar with. Around your local area you probably already know the best routes and alternatives anyway and won't use them much.

I have installed the firmware update but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet. Unless it has introduced any major bugs I can't see it being negative.

You may find it worthwhile to download the user manual for additional information.


I hadn't thought about that Ron. That's a good idea to create a number of user profiles with different preferences. I will try that.

I have downloaded the firmware update and one thing I've noticed that never used to happen prior to the update is that the unit will be recording my ride and then for no reason asks me if I wish to PAUSE, CANCEL or CONTINUE. If I don't catch this early enough it stops recording my ride and goes into pause mode. I don't recall this issue prior to the firmware update. It usually happens at the beginning of the ride.

slaw
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby slaw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:58 am

I have a Cyclo 500. Haven't used it that much yet. Will mostly be for recording and checking on routes. Did try to follow an MTB route around Ballarat a few weeks ago. With the network of tracks in the area, it wasn't always easy to stay on the route and when I strayed it took me a few goes to work out how it was telling me to get back. Did OK in routing me to and from the track to where I was staying.

I used it on the weekend to record a 6hr walking rogaine. So I turned it on and stuffed it in my pack, but didn't look at it again until the end. It only recorded until we stopped for 15 mins or so for lunch, so must have turned itself off then. I haven't checked if there is a setting for that.

Being a newish device looks like there are a few improvements that could probably be made in future firmware releases.

New forums at:

http://www.cycloGPS.com

Lots of comments on:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/mio- ... ntrol.html

and another Aussie user:

http://www.ddsystems.com.au/other/magel ... cyclo-505/

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22023
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Might have to seriously consider one of these when my Garmin Edge 810 dies. ANyway I do have one question and is it possible to charge thye CYclo 505 off the dynamo/battery pack whilst riding? Maybe a question for Ronk as it is more of a touring issue.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:Might have to seriously consider one of these when my Garmin Edge 810 dies. ANyway I do have one question and is it possible to charge thye CYclo 505 off the dynamo/battery pack whilst riding? Maybe a question for Ronk as it is more of a touring issue.

I haven't ried it while actually riding, but I have had it running while connected to the charger, which is the same thing really.

However if you mount the unit on the stem as I have on my tourer, to connect to the power port while riding you'll need a cable with a right angle terminal . The oem cable is too long to be practical anyway.

I bought a couple on eBay.

Image

The length of the cable is 20cm but they're available in various lengths.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9740
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:27 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:But you can set up multiple profiles with different routing preferences. For my roadie profile I have prefer main roads, but for my touring profile I have allow main roads and allow cycle routes. For my MTB profile I have allow unpaved roads as well.


The routing type options are City Bike, Racing Bike, and MTB (also car and running).

The route options are Major Roads, Cycle Routes, Unpaved Roads (except Racing Bike) and Cobblestones (only with OSM maps).

The preferences are Prefer, Allow, and Try to Avoid.

I'm still working out the best combinations. I've just changed to these so not sure how they will work yet.

Code: Select all

                              City Bike          Racing Bike            MTB
Major Roads                   Allow              Prefer                 Allow
Cycle Routes                  Allow              Allow                  Allow
Unpaved Roads                 Allow              n/a                    Prefer
Cobblestones                  Allow              Try to Avoid           Allow

Then I have created profiles for three bikes, selecting the relevant routing type for the bike. On startup, the 505 displays the select profile and prompts if you want to change it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users