Frame spacing on rear dropouts..

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Frame spacing on rear dropouts..

Postby janus77 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Just wondering about rear dropout spacing. Seems track frames normally have a 120mm spacing, whereas a road frame might be more like 130mm?

Question i have is if you're looking at putting a track hub on the rear of a road frame, is the best option to get a longer axle and some spacers, or to try to squeeze the frame to fit the hub?

I'm assuming forks are much the same spacing be it track or road..?
User avatar
janus77
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:09 pm

by BNA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 am

BNA
 

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 am

The way I remember it, single speed spacing with freewheel or fixed was 110mm, then 120mm for five speed clusters or six speed if 'ultra' spaced.
Next came 126mm for regular six speed blocks, or seven speed if ultra spaced.
After that I don't care as nobody 'needs' more than a six speed block anyway.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
User avatar
Kid_Carbine
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Southern Highlands N.S.W.

Postby 531db » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:19 am

Kid_Carbine wrote:The way I remember it, single speed spacing with freewheel or fixed was 110mm, then 120mm for five speed clusters or six speed if 'ultra' spaced.
Next came 126mm for regular six speed blocks, or seven speed if ultra spaced.
After that I don't care as nobody 'needs' more than a six speed block anyway.


110mm: Old Track/single speed
115mm: 4 speed
120mm: 5 speed (and 6 speed Suntour Ultra), also 'modern' track.
126mm: 6 and 7 speed
130mm: 8, 9 and 10 speed
135mm: MTB
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Re: Frame spacing on rear dropouts..

Postby 531db » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:21 am

janus77 wrote:Just wondering about rear dropout spacing. Seems track frames normally have a 120mm spacing, whereas a road frame might be more like 130mm?

Question i have is if you're looking at putting a track hub on the rear of a road frame, is the best option to get a longer axle and some spacers, or to try to squeeze the frame to fit the hub?

I'm assuming forks are much the same spacing be it track or road..?


Use spacers to take the axle out to 126mm or 130mm as required.

It's not to hard to spread a frame out to accomodate a wide hub axle, but squeezing it in is much more difficult and more stressful to the stays.
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby janus77 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:56 am

ok, using spacers I understand, however if a hub is 120mm, wouldn't the axle be too short? I mean there wouldn't be that much extra axle to space it out would there?

Guess I should check the manufacturer specs of hubs for axle length to see how far it will accommodate spacing.
User avatar
janus77
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Postby familyguy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:13 am

janus77 wrote:ok, using spacers I understand, however if a hub is 120mm, wouldn't the axle be too short? I mean there wouldn't be that much extra axle to space it out would there?

Guess I should check the manufacturer specs of hubs for axle length to see how far it will accommodate spacing.


Always get a new axle if you're going wider.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5036
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Postby janus77 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:01 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Gold-anodize-Al ... dZViewItem

Would something like this work for a fixie build - 700c wheels?
User avatar
janus77
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Postby 531db » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:13 am

janus77 wrote:ok, using spacers I understand, however if a hub is 120mm, wouldn't the axle be too short? I mean there wouldn't be that much extra axle to space it out would there?

Guess I should check the manufacturer specs of hubs for axle length to see how far it will accommodate spacing.


Axle length is critical. To space out to 126mm, you need extra axle space of 3mm each side, to space out to 130mm you need extra axle space of 5mm a side.

I've just run a quick ruler over the axle length of some of my 120mm spaced track/fixed hubs.

Sanshin Pro 160mm
Sanshin Pro NJS 155mm
Velocity/Formula 156mm
Bianchi/Formula 156mm
Campag Record 149mm and 152mm.

I also measured some steel road and track dropout widths mostly 4 to 5mm each side, although cheap pressed steel was 3mm, and alloy can be thicker at 6mm +.

Also found that most decent track nuts are 12 to 13mm wide.

So, say for a steel frame with a 130mm spacing and 5mm wide dropouts:

130mm spacing
10mm dropouts
25mm nuts

165mm total.

Or a steel frame with 126mm spacing and 4mm dropouts:

126mm spacing
8mm droupouts
25mm nuts

159mm total.

However having said that I'd take my 160mm Sanshin axle out to a 130mm spacing if necessary on 4mm dropouts for road use, I would not be overly concerned with a calculated 1.5mm axle deficit per side, that's only a thread per side in the track nuts and I'm not Theo Bos :lol:
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby janus77 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:37 am

thanks for that, very useful info! :)
User avatar
janus77
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:09 pm


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter