quick & dirty suggestions for rim tape

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

quick & dirty suggestions for rim tape

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:49 pm

hi guys...

just rescued pretty average, but complete 80s Malvern Star 10 speed from the kerb. I'm wanting to just clean it up a bit and have it as a bit of a hack for minimal expense sort of thing. The thing is - the ol' sh!tty 27" steel rims have had a bit of moisture under the beading and there's a few rust spots in there. The old rim tape is pretty perished with the nipple heads having poked through here and there.

The wheels are true enough; and I'll probably just repack the bearings. But remembering that this is a no-buck special - how would you suggest treating the rims?

I was thinking a quick emery cloth of the rust spots with a quick spritz of WD40 around the diameter to stave off more. As for rim tape I know I used to use insulation tape as a kid but it mightn't be too crash hot with the WD40.

Any techniques to use some old inner tube? only real problem I'd see is joining it once cut to size.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

by BNA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:58 pm

BNA

Postby Caelum » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:58 pm

How's about some cloth gaffa tape you've got laying around(you've got some laying around right? everyone should....)

Just be sure to clean the WD40 away from it first, is all.
Caelum

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:10 pm

:? .... or apply the wd40 after the tape?

It almost seems too good to waste some gaffa tape on this bike. But thinking about it - the tape is 50mm wide... 2 x 25mm wide lengths half the circumference of the wheel. Probably less heinous a crime. :D

my tight ar5e scottish heritage is shining through. :twisted:
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:18 pm

What about recycling (pardon the pun) an old tube?
You would get a couple of strips out of one tube - and if you used an mtb one, they'd even have to stretch a bit to fit. :D
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:What about recycling (pardon the pun) an old tube?
You would get a couple of strips out of one tube - and if you used an mtb

I thought of an old tube - but realised that what old tubes I have laying around I've already cut - crosswise - for other similar bodgie applications. ie what's left is no longer circular.

I'd have to cut one of these lengthwise again and join them somehow. if I could perhaps vulcanise the two ends together - but that's a dying art; or at least one I've never been privvy to. I'm not sure what off the shelf chemicals would allow me to do this.
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby MJF » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 pm

You can buy self-adhesive cloth rim tape, about $3 - $4 a roll. Should fit a 27" rim.

I know it's not free, but what's your time worth?
MJF

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Forget the WD40 as it is harmful to rubber, but if you must use something then try some rubber grease. This is used in automotive applications, often for brake cylinder or caliper repair so your nearest well equiped motor vehicle workshop may let you have a smear for zilch.

As for rust bands, .... oh, sorry, they call it rim tape these days don't they, then see if you can get some rubber ones for 700C wheels. See if you can scab some from your mates, after all, what are mates for?
700C isn't all that much smaller than 27" & one of the marvelous properties of rubber is its elacticity. Simply put, .... it'll stretch.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:51 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
LuckyPierre wrote:What about recycling (pardon the pun) an old tube?
You would get a couple of strips out of one tube - and if you used an mtb

I thought of an old tube - but realised that what old tubes I have laying around I've already cut - crosswise - for other similar bodgie applications. ie what's left is no longer circular.

I'd have to cut one of these lengthwise again and join them somehow. if I could perhaps vulcanise the two ends together - but that's a dying art; or at least one I've never been privvy to. I'm not sure what off the shelf chemicals would allow me to do this.

rather than vulcanising why not use the tube of glue in your tube repair kit?

also instead of wd40, try rust converter then/or killrust fish oil (any smell, minimal to start with, dissipates as it dries)
twowheels

Postby vic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:03 pm

twowheels wrote:
rather than vulcanising why not use the tube of glue in your tube repair kit?

Spot on. I recycle bikes for charity and avoid spending money on fixing up donor bikes. I have found it really easy to cut a severed inner tube to the right width (long ways), and using rubber cement to join the two ends together. Cheers
vic

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:36 pm

vic wrote:I recycle bikes for charity

Cool, this is something I'm interested in doing also. Actually I've fixed a number of bikes to give away to kids from refugee families around the neighbourhood, must have done an okay job because one family told me they had three of the bikes I fixed for them stolen!

Do you do your cycle recycling for charity through an agency or charity?
twowheels

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm

twowheels wrote:rather than vulcanising why not use the tube of glue in your tube repair kit?

I obviously had my wires crossed. I thought that rubber cement was reliant on some chemical property of the undersite of the patch - ie the black rimmed with orange variety. hence why the patches are peeled off a foil backing ?

Oh well.. if you guys have done it and it works; I'll try it. Do you just rough up the surfaces that'll make contact and apply the cement to each face?

and to follow the other tangent this thread is taking; I have recycled a number of bikes cast off on peoples verges int he last 12 months - after a quick clean, brake adjustment and puncture check/repair I just ride them down to my local Salvation Army thrift store and donate them - and walk home.
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby m@ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 am

HappyHumber wrote:
twowheels wrote:rather than vulcanising why not use the tube of glue in your tube repair kit?

I obviously had my wires crossed. I thought that rubber cement was reliant on some chemical property of the undersite of the patch - ie the black rimmed with orange variety. hence why the patches are peeled off a foil backing ?

Oh well.. if you guys have done it and it works; I'll try it. Do you just rough up the surfaces that'll make contact and apply the cement to each face?

Happy to be corrected, but isn't the 'rubber cement' in patch kits vulcanising solution?

I always thought the foil backing on the patches was just there to keep 'em clean...
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby vic » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:06 am

twowheels wrote:
vic wrote:I recycle bikes for charity

Cool, this is something I'm interested in doing also. Actually I've fixed a number of bikes to give away to kids from refugee families around the neighbourhood, must have done an okay job because one family told me they had three of the bikes I fixed for them stolen!

Do you do your cycle recycling for charity through an agency or charity?

People hear of me through word of mouth and donate bikes and bits. I fix them as needed and sell them on eBay. I donate the money to OXFAM. I get a card from OXFAM with a picture of a pig or goat etc, and give the card to the donor. Everyone gets to feel fuzzy. :)
vic

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:50 pm

I was passing through your home village recently, so I drove up & down every street in the village area to see if I could find a place that had bikes all over the place.

Either you are very neat with no bikes showing, or you live out of town a little bit but either way I didn't find you. Never mind, .... next time Gadget, ... next time.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby vic » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:23 am

Kid_Carbine wrote:I was passing through your home village recently, so I drove up & down every street in the village area to see if I could find a place that had bikes all over the place.

Either you are very neat with no bikes showing, or you live out of town a little bit but either way I didn't find you. Never mind, .... next time Gadget, ... next time.

Ah, well, I am fortunate to have a couple of sheds that I store the bikes in. I'm in the main street. Sorry I missed your visit. Next time let me know when you are passing through and I'll give you directions. I have been thinking about making a weather vane made of a bicycle, that might make it easier to find me! :)
vic

Return to The Shed