New wheel issue with brakes

drnick79

New wheel issue with brakes

Postby drnick79 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 pm

G'day all.

After some advice. Picked up some new wheels last weekend and went for a ride Sunday morning. The roads were wet and a bit messy, not sure if that would have impacted on this.

Bike is a 2012 Giant TCR SL0 with DA. Got back from my ride and found the below on the rear wheel, front is all fine -

http://drnick.com.au/pics/wheeels/IMG_1758.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://drnick.com.au/pics/wheeels/IMG_1759.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://drnick.com.au/pics/wheeels/IMG_1760.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I checked the pads and they did not have any crud on them. Checked the wheelset that was on the bike before these and the surface is all fine on them.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

elantra

Re: New wheel issue with brakes

Postby elantra » Thu May 15, 2014 7:29 am

S, that just looks like normal wear to me.

Obviously check your brake pads, make sure they do not have bits of road crud or shards of alloy stuck in them, which tends to happen when riding in the rain.
Personally speaking, i find that after a few hundred km's riding it improves braking performance (and perhaps rim life) if you take the pads off and give them a rough up / cleaning on a concrete block (or sandpaper, or a metal file, whatever is available in "the shed")

I have some (older) AC wheels and they are LIGHT. one small tradeoff to achieve this is the braking surface seems to be narrower (in height) than some wheels (like Shimano). so it is extra important to make sure that the pad to rim contact alignment is spot on. And the pads are secure !

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu May 15, 2014 7:52 am

Don't see anything abnormal about the pics. Looks to be normal wear. It could very well be just a bit of this and that which got stuck between your pads and the rim so it would make some minor marks but came off later. If you rode it in the wet then it could be some gravel.

As long as the pads are sitting on the rim square and when you pull the cable it should be fine. You could do what elantra recommended by giving the current pads a bit of a roughing or get some wet/all weather pads. But that is only in the case if you believe you need better stopping power. I think swissstop has a salmon set for all weather.

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Cheers for the info guys. I'll get a few rides in over the next 3 days and see how they go. Fingers crossed they don't hack up any further.

Sean
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro