How true is true and what is acceptable?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

How true is true and what is acceptable?

Postby peter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:38 am

While tinkering with the front derailleur I noticed the wheels are not perfectly straight (something I didn't pay attention to in the past). Using brake pads as guides I can see the rims (both front and rear) are out by around 1mm (may be not as much but definitely noticeable up close).

I wonder is it acceptable as long as the rims aren't touching the brake pads in free spin? How far will it become a cause for concern?
peter

by BNA » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm

BNA

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Pete

About it hitting the pads, will totally depend on how you set the brakes up. I like the rubbers to be REAL close so on descents, lower lag time. As for a 1mm deflection, I had the same question when my new wheels turned up from Chainreactiocycles in the UK. The front was totally true, the rear had a very small deflection. Took to reputable LBS and he said leave it, took to another LBS and he said likewise.

So maybe take to LBS and ask question. They will grab your spokes and try to flex em, put in the stand and give you a verdict.

Cheers..Pete
sandman

Postby Bnej » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Less than 1mm lateral can be considered true according to park tool.

I trued a cheap wheel a couple of weeks ago just using the brake pads as a guide ($35 wheel set!), you just slowly wind the brakes in until they start skimming the rim, adjust by quarter turns, and repeat until it's straight enough.
Bnej

Return to The Shed