noisy chain

Red Rider

noisy chain

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:09 pm

My chain is making that squelchy noise, must be the sound of metal sliding against metal. The problem is, I only lubed it yesterday morning! I usually oil it every week or so, never made this noise before. Is it the wet/cold weather? It hasn't rained this week.
Lube: Finish Line something or other, wax ceramic.
Chain km: 6,700.

rkelsen

Re: noisy chain

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Probably worn out. What brand is it?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 am

+1 chain is worn out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:24 am

Came with the bike, think it's a KMC X-9. Pretty crumby if it's already worn out, my 5700 chain on the roadie is 15,000km and still as good as new.

Recommendations for a 9 speed?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:26 am

I tip my hat to you. That sort of life from a 105 chain certainly makes you the exception to the rule. It is possible with Campagnolo, but Shimano chains generally wear much quicker than that.
You can buy x-9 chains from this link is broken.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 am

Hmmm, there's a Dura-Ace 9 speed for the same price!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Just wondering what your opinion is on measuring wear, is the 12" rule good? Up to 1.5mm it's ok?

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Red Rider wrote:Just wondering what your opinion is on measuring wear, is the 12" rule good? Up to 1.5mm it's ok?
12"& 1/16 =1.587mm over 12 "&1/8 = 3.17 mm over. I would wait until its closer to 1/8 over . Try and wash the chain and use some wet lube, Screeching noise just means something is dry and unlubricated.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:56 pm

I was lead to believe 1/8" is too much, need to replace cassette then?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Red Rider wrote:Hmmm, there's a Dura-Ace 9 speed for the same price!
I just bought one for around $28. On my 9-speed bike I get around 8,000km on the Dura Ace chains. Is you chain skipping on the cassette?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:30 pm

No skipping, will check wear.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Red Rider wrote:I was lead to believe 1/8" is too much, need to replace cassette then?
Best to change it now but I let mine go to just under 1/8 I keep on checking it more frequent when it gets over 1/16. I ride over 600kms in a week some weeks chains don't last long.

My gf said im obsessed with riding bikes its not a hobby anymore :oops: :lol:

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:43 pm

About 1.2mm-1.3mm over 12". New chain installed :) Thanks all.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:44 am

I would be pi&&ed if my chain wore out that quickly. I am using a giant defy 3 with original chain and it has done 22,000k. Still nice and quiet as long as I oil it.

are you using a new bottle of lube, it might be dodgy?

maybe try oiling your chain again and do the rear gears/ cluster as well. See what happens. If it still does it then go back to the shop and kick up a stink

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:15 am

Guess what's gonna happen if you put a new chain on your 22k cassette?
If you're happy with the shift quality etc then that's fine but 6000km is def not unusual for chain life if you don't want to have to change the cassette as well.
Apart from the fact that chains are a consumable part, telling him to kick up a stink when there's a multiple factors you have no clue about is just plain ridiculous.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:50 am

It seems to have always been the way that my commuter bikes chains wear out a lot quicker than the roadie. Just checked the roadie, the cassette looks great and the chain has only lengthened maybe 0.1mm after 15k. Shifts great, no noise. Yay me, not sure how else I can confirm it's in good nik. One thing I have changed fairly recently is lube. I'm going to change back to the usual.

One thing goes to show though, there can be a big range of life expectancy, so don't rely on a standard.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:09 pm

KGB wrote:Guess what's gonna happen if you put a new chain on your 22k cassette?
If you're happy with the shift quality etc then that's fine but 6000km is def not unusual for chain life if you don't want to have to change the cassette as well.
Apart from the fact that chains are a consumable part, telling him to kick up a stink when there's a multiple factors you have no clue about is just plain ridiculous.
I normally change chain, chain rings and rear gears all at the same time.

the kick up a stink comment was about the lube. If the OP got a new bottle and its dodgy, then take it back and complain. A bad batch of lube will cause all sorts of problems and needs to be brought to the retailer's & manufacturer's attention.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:12 pm

22k? Bloody hell!
I can't stand a noisy chain and replaced the last chain on my roadie at 2.5k.
For me the $30-40 for a new chain is worth it for that new bike feel. The buzz buzz noise just does my head in.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 pm

SuperSix wrote: I can't stand a noisy chain and replaced the last chain on my roadie at 2.5k.
lol, get a cotton ball and tear it in half. Roll each half up into a ball and stick em in your ears. Cheap ear plugs :)

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Squashed wrote:
SuperSix wrote: I can't stand a noisy chain and replaced the last chain on my roadie at 2.5k.
lol, get a cotton ball and tear it in half. Roll each half up into a ball and stick em in your ears. Cheap ear plugs :)
I would, but I spend all my money on new chains ;)

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:05 am

Went to work this morning, got some skipping!
Trying to figure out the problem. It skips on the cassette, but it only does it when I'm in the small chainring. I tried my hardest to get it to skip in the big ring up a 7% slope, but no dice. Clearance of the chain from the RD on small-small gears is ok. RD feeds the chain onto the cassette a fair way away, can't bring it any closer (short-cage 105 RD). I have noticed that the Shimano connector pin sticks out a little on the wheel side and spinning the chain backwards it catches a little on the gear adjacent, not sure if it would have any affect pushing forward. The gears shift very nicely otherwise. If it is a worn cassette, would it not skip in both chainrings?

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am

Red Rider wrote:Went to work this morning, got some skipping!
Trying to figure out the problem. It skips on the cassette, but it only does it when I'm in the small chainring. I tried my hardest to get it to skip in the big ring up a 7% slope, but no dice. Clearance of the chain from the RD on small-small gears is ok. RD feeds the chain onto the cassette a fair way away, can't bring it any closer (short-cage 105 RD). I have noticed that the Shimano connector pin sticks out a little on the wheel side and spinning the chain backwards it catches a little on the gear adjacent, not sure if it would have any affect pushing forward. The gears shift very nicely otherwise. If it is a worn cassette, would it not skip in both chainrings?
You would have less tension on your chain in the small ring, your derailleur spring is more relaxed. Check your chain length is right and b-line screw, the more chain wrap you have the less chance of slippage other than that time for a new cassette.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Red Rider wrote:Went to work this morning, got some skipping!
Sounds more like a flogged out granny to me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:27 pm

I run 3 chains per bike, in rotation. Dirty/noisy one comes off and goes in kero bath, clean one goes on and gets lubed. It extends the wear life of the rings and cassette by 3x so instead of getting 2 chains per cassette and crankset I get 6.

I'm still on the original 3x9 rings and cassette on my trail dually despite a very abrasive environment, and when I put the race wheels on with the Ti cassette I get no noise or, skipping.

This also gives me the freedom to change chains immediately after a muddy ride, which helps.

Dura Ace are the best of the 9 speed chains by far. For 10 speed, KMC X10SL seems to be the best regarded. I certainly have no complaints.