Wheel reflectors

wellington_street

Wheel reflectors

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 pm

I purchased a new custom-made wheel from an LBS about 3-4 months ago and it's going great. However I just noticed the other night that it doesn't actually have a reflector on it. The old one which I replaced definitely did.

I'm a bit inexperienced in this area (e.g. didn't even think to look at the time and only noticed it was missing 3 months later) so I would like your thoughts:

1. Should I expect that a wheel will be sold with a reflector?
2. Does it matter that the old wheel had one?
3. Should I have specifically asked for one at the time?
4. Is it too late to go back and ask for a reflector free of charge if they should've provided it?
5. How much would it cost to buy one/have it installed?

Just want to know my position before I contact the LBS...

To clarify, my bike is a flat bar road bike I use for commuting - it's not a racing bike or something you'd expect to never see a public road.

warthog1

Re: Wheel reflectors

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:23 pm

The bike shop will probably grab some out of the bin for you. They are easy to fit yourself.
You can buy tyres with a reflective strip on the sidewall that are more effective.

Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm

If you are in WA, definitely go back to the LBS - from the Road Traffic Code 2000 WA
224. Lights and other equipment on bicycles
(2A) A person shall not ride a bicycle during the hours of darkness, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the bicycle has affixed, to each wheel, 2 yellow side reflectors complying with the requirements for reflectors in Australian Standard AS 1927-1998 (Pedal Bicycle-Safety Requirements) and Australian Standard AS 2142-1978 (Specification for Reflectors for Pedal Bicycles).
Modified penalty: 1 PU
The same rule also requires pedal reflectors & AFAIK, the only state which requires wheel and pedal reflectors to remain on your bicycle.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Buy something like THIS, apply four equally spaced pieces to the rim avoiding the brake track and you're doing way better than the legal standard requires.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:23 pm

I have these, from bike24, on my commuter. 12 per wheel. VERY conspicuous according to all my colleagues.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm a big fan of reflective sidewalls

Running GP4000 700 x 25c Reflectives & Vittoria Randonneur Reflectives 700 x 28 & 700 x 32

Rob

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Reflective options are good but as already mentioned, just ask nicely at your LBS and they should give you one for free.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:56 pm

find_bruce wrote:The same rule also requires pedal reflectors & AFAIK, the only state which requires wheel and pedal reflectors to remain on your bicycle.
Yeah, this requirement was supposed to be removed or at least modified when they changed the rules regarding fenders, but for some reason it was left alone. Tthat means things like reflective sidewalls, 3M tape and spoke clips won't do unless they're yellow, plus there's all sort of other requirements like must be mounted on the spokes, must be within X mm of the rim, must be visible from specific angle, on and on, ad nauseam.

Now obviously, you'll never get a ticket for these kind of technicalities, but you know who I bet would love to use them? The ace lawyer for the guy who hits you with his car and leaves you with thousands of dollars in medical and bike repair bills. I've always been curious if this would actually be a valid course of action during say a civil trial, and I think it could be. It's enough to make me want to stick some reflectors on my pedals (no idea how you'd do that with clipless! :))

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:50 pm

JBark wrote:Now obviously, you'll never get a ticket for these kind of technicalities, but you know who I bet would love to use them? The ace lawyer for the guy who hits you with his car and leaves you with thousands of dollars in medical and bike repair bills. I've always been curious if this would actually be a valid course of action during say a civil trial, and I think it could be. It's enough to make me want to stick some reflectors on my pedals (no idea how you'd do that with clipless! :))
My road bike is far from legal. I don't have a bell, rear reflector, pedal reflectors or wheel reflectors. I do have bright lights, mostly wear a reflective vest and usually have a reflective ankle band and wrist band.

So say a lawyer did try to weasle his client out of repair bills for smashing up my bike. He would have to demonstrate the the reflective gear that I was actually wearing was not as visible as the legally required reflective gear. That is a tough ask considering my reflective gear makes me more visible than if my road bike was legal and I wasn't wearing the extra stuff. I'm really sure there would have to be causation. For example, my bike doesn't have a bell and some idiot runs up the back of me at night. Did my lack of a bell contribute to the incident? No. I counter sue that the guy's rear number plate light was not working as required. That wouldn't work either (IMO) because there is no causation. That said, there have been some pretty stupid judgements in this area. Like the driver who got off running up the back of someone because the cyclists front light wasn't working.

In any case, I haven't had any incidents or near incidents riding at night because I am highly visible due to all my reflective gear. I reccomend it. I think it works and it's worth the investment.
<removed by request>

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Buy something like THIS, apply four equally spaced pieces to the rim avoiding the brake track and you're doing way better than the legal standard requires.
Hi Mulger bill,Thanks for the link,
Just reading that Ebay item it looks as though that is a sew on item. And that's ok for me as I want some for a material pannier.
I thought that some folks may want a stick on one, so just read the fine print if want the item. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:If you are in WA, definitely go back to the LBS - from the Road Traffic Code 2000 WA
224. Lights and other equipment on bicycles
(2A) A person shall not ride a bicycle during the hours of darkness, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the bicycle has affixed, to each wheel, 2 yellow side reflectors complying with the requirements for reflectors in Australian Standard AS 1927-1998 (Pedal Bicycle-Safety Requirements) and Australian Standard AS 2142-1978 (Specification for Reflectors for Pedal Bicycles).
Modified penalty: 1 PU
The same rule also requires pedal reflectors & AFAIK, the only state which requires wheel and pedal reflectors to remain on your bicycle.

Just to expand on what find_bruce said above, in most states bicycles require those reflectors to be fitted for sale, but they are not required for the bike to be legally ridden. Obviously there are a lot of road bikes that would not come with bells and reflectors fitted, as i understand they get around it by saying that they are being sold for closed road competition, therefore the reflectors etc aren't required. Happy to be corrected on that.

But end result is, other than WA, you don't legally need to have wheel or pedal reflectors. The alternative options with regards to the wheels are better anyway, i remember seeing a photo of a wheel reflector that had detached and speared right through a carbon chainstay.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi Mulger bill,Thanks for the link,
Just reading that Ebay item it looks as though that is a sew on item. And that's ok for me as I want some for a material pannier.
I thought that some folks may want a stick on one, so just read the fine print if want the item. :)
:oops: Grabbed the wrong link. Try HERE for self adhesive...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 pm

the LED valve caps that light up when the wheel is spinning are something i would consider, they're the goods... to me anyway.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blue-Bike-Cy ... 3a923666f0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steel is the real deal.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am

mark field wrote:the LED valve caps that light up when the wheel is spinning are something i would consider, they're the goods... to me anyway.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blue-Bike-Cy ... 3a923666f0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got a couple similar to those a while back, thought they might be good. I don't like them on the front wheel when in the dark as they seem to flash in your eyes too much. Back wheel is fine.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:04 pm

@casual_cyclist, there was a case in Victoria a few years ago where the absence of a front light got a driver off a dangerous driving causing actual bodily harm charge (I think it was) for hitting a cyclist from behind. BNV as it then was made some quite cutting public comments about the magistrate changing the meaning of the law.

So if I were you I wouldn't underestimate the power of prejudice to find against you if you leave an opening.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 pm

What annoys me is that equipping your bike to comply will make you less visible than exploiting advances in hi viz.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:48 pm

I use rim strips from http://www.ridewithfiks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:46 am

Found the picture i referred to, you would have to assume they got a bit of pace happening to do that!

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:51 am

I bought some spoke lights from Kathmandu a few years ago. they clip onto spokes and you simply twist the end of them to turn them on. 2 on each wheel at opposite sides and you look like you have a wheel rim stripe. They were only about $20-30 for four of them from memory. They make you super visible from side on and at cross streets, roundabouts and the like.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:58 pm

I thought wheel reflectors were useless, but apparently they add extra zing to your photos
Anything you can do, I can do slower

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:16 pm

ahhhh, my eyes!!!! :shock:
steel is the real deal.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:15 am

Quick way to get that Jennay lens flare without photoshop :) .