Show us your FrankenFly6 Installations

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Show us your FrankenFly6 Installations

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:03 pm

I received my Fly6 yesterday, charged it overnight, then went to the bike this morning to contemplate its installation. Being a cruiser with a Topeak MTX rack installed for carrying my stuff, the seatpost is basically hidden and renders the standard Fly6 installation redundant. I had been mulling the install in my head overnight knowing the simplest method would be to mount something resembling a seatpost somewhere that the Fly6 could attach to in a standard way. So it was either wood doweling or PVC pipe. PVC pipe is the easier to work with being hollow and of course will not absorb water. So I cut a piece long enough to strap the Fly6 mount to and then drilled a hole through both sides. Then drilled out one larger so I could get a screwdriver through for the mounting screw and mounted that to the MTX light bracket at the back. Dabbed some blue thread locker on the screw (short pool screw similar to what is used in camera mounts), screwed it on and then mounted the Fly6 as per the instructions. Then it was a simple case of bending the bracket until the Fly6 was perpendicular to the ground surface. Rode to work, checked the footage, PERFECT. Very happy indeed. Photos of the install as follows:

Finished Setup

Top Down showing mounting screw

Quarter Angle View

Rear View (sorry about the blurring)

Rear View with the Bracket

With the Fly6 Mounted
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 pm

BNA

Re: Show us your FrankenFly6 Installations

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 pm

That is extremely clever. Might do that for the MTB!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby harmonix1234 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:34 am

MacGuyver... Is that you?
harmonix1234

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:04 am

It's a good looking rig.

The one addition I would make to a rig like this is to drill an additional 2 small holes in the side of the PVC pipe, between the two Fly6 mounting straps, and run some heavy duty fishing line (or similar) through them and the offset holes in the mounting bracket to tie the pipe onto the bracket. This should prevent losing the pipe in the unlikely event of the screw working loose or breaking and will prevent the camera mounting straps from sliding down the pipe due to vibration.
Scott_C

Postby Oxford » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:20 am

I hear you, did want to do something for additional "protection" against loss and that is a good idea. Will drill some holes and cable tie the PVC on, after first removing it and painting it black now that I like the install. Thanks for the idea.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Clintoo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am

i checked out one on a guys bike in a cafe on the weekend. They are alot larger in real life. I guess battery and lens etc. is going to take up a bit more room. But I was quite surprised as to how big they are.
Clintoo

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Not as Frankenstein as yours, Oxford, but since I still wanted my saddle bag on the bike and the seat post wasn't long enough for the Fly6 as well, this is my attempt put the Fly6 on top of the seatstays. The seat post clamp is between the two holding straps and I added all the inserts to make the Fly6 vertical. Will try it out on tonight's commute and see whether it works. I also put my seat post light back on behind the Fly6. I could probably put the Jumbo 808 #16 camera back on under the saddlebag as well, but that would be overkill. :)

It isn't touching the brakes. The squiggly cord to the saddle is a small cable lock, if anyone was wondering. :)
Summernight

Postby JBark » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Hilarious, I got my Fly6 last week, and was thinking to myself "It would be really easy to just bend the reflector mount on the rack, attach some pvc, then strap the camera to it". Glad to see it works before I give it a go this weekend.

I also thinking of going a bit fancy and cutting off the bottom couple cm on an old seat post I've got, and using that instead of some pvc. But I'll probably get lazy and just go with PVC.
JBark

Postby Oxford » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:35 pm

JBark wrote:Hilarious, I got my Fly6 last week, and was thinking to myself "It would be really easy to just bend the reflector mount on the rack, attach some pvc, then strap the camera to it". Glad to see it works before I give it a go this weekend.

I also thinking of going a bit fancy and cutting off the bottom couple cm on an old seat post I've got, and using that instead of some pvc. But I'll probably get lazy and just go with PVC.
Think of the grams you'll save with PVC. :lol:
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Oxford wrote:
JBark wrote:Hilarious, I got my Fly6 last week, and was thinking to myself "It would be really easy to just bend the reflector mount on the rack, attach some pvc, then strap the camera to it". Glad to see it works before I give it a go this weekend.

If anybody wants to fancy it up with a section of old cf post cut to length...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Oxford » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Oxford wrote:

If anybody wants to fancy it up with a section of old cf post cut to length...

Now we're talking weight savings.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:58 pm

And this frankfly could be used for mudguard as well.
This is what I'd do for my SKS chromoplastics
Remove rear reflector
2 holes now, measure them c2c
drill holes in PVC with same c2c measurement
zip tie on, or screw on
Mount fly6
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Fly6 mounted on a recumbent with very thin stays.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Oxford » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Thought I'd post an update to my install. Took on Scott_C's suggestion of adding some extra security and then went a little further to secure the light against an accidental discharge from the bracket. First however was to change the base installation to black. Rather than paint the PVC black, I repurposed a power tool handle I picked up for $1 from Reverse Garbage in Woolloongabba. A nice solid hard plastic tube. Basically cut off the bolt end, drill some holes and bingo a nice black attachment instead of orange:

You can also see that I have drilled some additional holes in order to thread a cable tie through the tube and bracket eyelets for added loss protection. Though removing the old screw with the thread locker was quite difficult so I doubt the screw will ever come loose.

Attach the light and then trim some old bungy cord to make a second loss protection measure:

As the light moves up the bracket it gets tighter hopefully preventing an unexpected loss. Easy to remove though for downloading and recharging.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Aushiker wrote:Fly6 mounted on a recumbent with very thin stays.

Andrew

Andrew - you reckon it'd be possible to mount it on seat stays?
jasonc

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 am

jasonc wrote:Andrew - you reckon it'd be possible to mount it on seat stays?

Yes. Not pretty but it does work pretty well.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Fly6 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi guys - while we don't support any of these systems, it's great to see all the creativity. My favorite FrankenFly6 so far is here ( http://bit.ly/1qFOQ0S ).

Not sure if you are allowed to do this here or not but I'd be happy to give an Adaptor Pack ( http://fly6.com/products/ ) to the most creative FrankenFly6 as judged by the administrator...
Fly6

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Fly6 wrote:Hi guys - while we don't support any of these systems, it's great to see all the creativity. My favorite FrankenFly6 so far is here ( http://bit.ly/1qFOQ0S ).

Not sure if you are allowed to do this here or not but I'd be happy to give an Adaptor Pack ( http://fly6.com/products/ ) to the most creative FrankenFly6 as judged by the administrator...

Thank you, I tried to keep it standard, but still solve my problem without over complicating it, I was pretty happy with the outcome frankly (sic). :mrgreen:

I also figured that there had to be other outside the box installs since we all don't always have the seat post as an option. Good to see a few other FrankenFly6 installs. :idea:
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:31 pm

It just occurred to me that there were clamps that were being used to secure torches/DVRs to bike handlebars. Wondering if that could be an option to secure a piece of PVC to a seat stay to then mount a Fly6 to? Just cannot recall the name of the website these clamps were on.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Return to The Shed