Rusted Eyelets - Fix?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Rusted Eyelets - Fix?

Postby geoff_tewierik » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:08 am

Have a couple of rusted eyelets on my rims, wondering what to do about it before I relace the wheels.

Any Suggestions? Rust Converter? Sand them back? Fish oil? Ignore it? Replace the eyelets - how?
geoff_tewierik

by BNA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 pm

BNA

Re: Rusted Eyelets - Fix?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 pm

I have the same issue Geoff. It would be lovely to just bung em into a dilute acid bath, but the problem is that you want to chemically convert the rust (Fe2O3) but not convert the thin anodizing layer (Al2O3).

There may be a process that converts the rust & not the anodizing, but I am unaware of it. Similarly I am not aware of any practical way to remove the eyelets and replace them.

What I am thinking of doing is making up a dilute solution of phosphoric acid and then using a cotton bud to apply the solution to the eyelet. While dilute, the acid will be stronger than the oxalic acid used to soak steel parts in. My plan is to only treat 4 eyelets at a time taking care to ensure the acid doesn't come into contact with the rim. It would be better if I knew where to get the acid in gel form.

After a few minutes, I will be rinsing the acid off, cleaning up with steel wool & then polishing the eyelet using a dremel.

Happy to hear about other suggestions
find_bruce

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Petroleum jelly over the Al before application of corrosives?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Zcootz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm

I've just been dunking a few bits and pieces in a 50:50 solution of white vinegar and water. I read about it in a car resto forum. Cleans off the rust a treat without damaging the metal. ImageImage before and 24 hour soak after. The rust just wiped off
Zcootz

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Wonder how the vinegar:water mix will affect alloy anodising?
geoff_tewierik

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Steel wool (0000 grade is what I use) works great, as it doesn't touch the anodising (don't know why) and cleans up eyelets great.
rogerrabbit

Postby Zcootz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:26 am

Not sure about the anodising, I did pop a alloy carby into the bath for a bit of an experiment and the mix didn't touch it or clean it up at all.
Zcootz

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:06 pm

I think I have a bigger problem than you guys. Pretty much all the eyelets in the Open 4CD were like this. This wheel must have been submerged once before. But, I'll just inox it and it'll be fine. The eyelets that are on the other side of the rim are stainless and are still good.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby Rob74 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:19 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I think I have a bigger problem than you guys. Pretty much all the eyelets in the Open 4CD were like this. This wheel must have been submerged once before. But, I'll just inox it and it'll be fine. The eyelets that are on the other side of the rim are stainless and are still good.

QV thats similar per my post "MAVIC Open 4 CD - spoke eyelet recess Corrosion" Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:58 pm

For the most recent set, removed all spokes. Cleaned out "spoke recess well" with circular wire brush in drill, wiped out with turps, cleaned further with AL foil, wiped out with turps again, then carefully applied rust converter Rainex, painted "spoke recess well" with killrust "Aluminium colour" then rebuilt the wheel with marine grease at the "nipple" to "spoke recess well" interface. Time consuming but solved the problem well.

I've had other acquired secondhand MAVIC Open 4 CD's with the same problem previously that were too far gone and the "spoke recess well" had rust holes in them which were revealed on cleaning.

The ones I have had the problem have had "Plastic RIM Liners" rather than cloth. My thought is "Plastic RIM Liners" don't breathe & keep the "spoke recess well" wet accelerating the corrosion.

Rob
Rob74

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Mine had cloth tape. The front wheel was a bit rusty, but normal. The rear was like that, but amazingly, no stuck nipples. There were already 3 broken spokes all at the head. Some of the spoke recess wells have rusted though, but I don't think that's an issue. They are only secondary eyelets. It's the stainless eyelets that actually hold in the nipples, preventing them from coming through the rim.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Return to The Shed