wheel out of true already?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

wheel out of true already?

Postby fergy1987 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:44 am

So I had my bike serviced about a month ago and have noticed that one side of my rim touches the brake pad once per revolution in one part of the rim.
Is it possible my wheel is out of true this quickly since being trued. Or do I just need to adjust my brakes to move that side away a bit. Its not rubbing to the point it slows me down, just lightly touches.
I don't have the tools or skills to true a wheel. If I need to get this wheel trued again can I simply take the wheel to the lbs?
Any tips would be great
fergy1987

by BNA » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:09 am

BNA

Re: wheel out of true already?

Postby KGB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:09 am

It's entirely possible but there's no way to tell without knowing a lot more detail. Take it back to the LBS and just ask them about it.
KGB

Postby fergy1987 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Took it back because the chain came off while I was back pedalling to lube it and when I got it back on the gears weren't changing at all smoothly. No matter how much I adjusted them just felt like crap. Ughhh after all my YouTube watching I thought I could make minor adjustments, obviously not
fergy1987

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:02 pm

If the wheel only has a minor wobble, the only tool you need is a spoke key. you can adjust the wheel whilst it is in the frame. The Park Tool website has some good "How To" guides, but there are only two ways to move the rim. First is to tighten a spoke to pull the rim, the other is to loosen it, therefore allowing the rim to be pulled the other way by the spokes on the other side.
Don't be afraid to learn how to do it as it is an invaluable skill to have, and will save you $30 every time you don't have to get the lbs to do it for you.

A good way to practice is to find a wheel in a hard rubbish pile and tinker to your hearts content.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby fergy1987 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm

I think I might look at picking up a spoke key. Is there a way to determine what size you require? or just basically take the wheel into the LBS and ask them which spoke key suits?
fergy1987

Postby KGB » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm

The spoke keys do come in different sizes, depending on the gauge (thickness) of the spokes which is usually what determines the size of the nipple.
Try and get one that holds the nipple on three sides (your slide it down the spoke and over the nipple) instead of the standard/old style that grabs two sides like a tiny spanner. This will decrease your chances of stripping/rounding nipples and making the wheel difficult or impossible to true.
KGB

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm

I have a set of spoke keys that come on a little carabiner. That covers most of the various nipple sizes, and each key has a three sided nipple holder,as well as a two sided one.

http://pedros-europe.ch/pro-spoke-wrench-set-of-4.html
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm

fergy1987 wrote:So I had my bike serviced about a month ago and have noticed that one side of my rim touches the brake pad once per revolution in one part of the rim.
Is it possible my wheel is out of true this quickly since being trued.

How do you know that they trued it? Most places don't include truing as part of a standard service.

Oh, and Lezyne spoke key for me: http://www.wiggle.com.au/lezyne-3-way-spoke-key/
rkelsen

Postby fergy1987 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm

rkelsen wrote:
fergy1987 wrote:So I had my bike serviced about a month ago and have noticed that one side of my rim touches the brake pad once per revolution in one part of the rim.
Is it possible my wheel is out of true this quickly since being trued.

How do you know that they trued it? Most places don't include truing as part of a standard service.

Oh, and Lezyne spoke key for me: http://www.wiggle.com.au/lezyne-3-way-spoke-key/

It was the next service up. Got worried there and checked the website, mentions wheels are trued.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
fergy1987

Postby Dudleygbu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 pm

I had similar issue and it turned out to be a cracked rim. Check for hairline cracks on the eyelets or outer rim wall
Using Tapatalk
Dudleygbu

Return to The Shed