Do new wheels need to be tension checked or trued?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Do new wheels need to be tension checked or trued?

Postby Dudleygbu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 pm

So I just got my new wheel after the old ones failed. They look awesome but before I just throw them on and go nuts, do I need to check they been tensioned properly or whatever or do I just trust torpedo guys did it ok since I'm hoping they would do or to try reduce warranty claims?:oops:
Using Tapatalk
Dudleygbu

by BNA » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm

BNA

Re: Do new wheels need to be tension checked or trued?

Postby reefer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm

My Mavic cxp 33 set from bike 24: Wheels spokes all felt fine, but this is hardly a perfect way to assess tension.

Front wheel - perfect.

Rear wheel - went out of true 2mm just putting tyre on and inflating, in to local LBS for a fix. A week later went out of true 3-4mm crossing local rail crossing, quite a heavy impact with a large bolt I assume fell off some train, into LBS again. Its been fine now for two weeks. Both times my LBS fixed it up for me. Truing is the next skill I learn.
reefer

Postby Dudleygbu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Mmmmm, seems like it's time to at least get the tool etc. I think I will do the same. Is not just the cost everytime, but more the fact that I have to load the bike up drop it off at the LBS, then pick it up again and so on. It's a real schlep. I think it's time to learn yup. I saw some awesome digital tools to use but just don't want to break the bank.
Using Tapatalk
Dudleygbu

Postby harmonix1234 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm

My zipp 101's came out of the box not only dished so hard to one side they wouldn't fit in my frame with a 25c tyre on, but several of the bladed spokes were actually at 90° like two sharp knife edges, AND the wheel wasn't round, it was oval shaped. Also seemed to slip past the QC guys with NO GREASE in them. Bone dry. $1,500.
However, my $350 machine built open pros on ultegra hubs came out of the box perfect. And I am pretty fussy. They were so round and true, and flicking the spokes even produced an audible pitch across the spokes that varied by less than a semitone across the whole wheel. Months later and several potholes and ugly curb hops I can honestly say it is still just as true.
No harm in checking your wheels though. An eighth of a turn on several spokes is acceptable for a new wheel
harmonix1234

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

I check all new wheels I purchase in my truing standard. Rarely have had to make any adjustment. I also check the hubs for proper adjustment and grease. It's worth learning this skill and buying the tools.
biker jk

Return to The Shed