Do new wheels need to be tension checked or trued?

Dudleygbu

Do new wheels need to be tension checked or trued?

Postby Dudleygbu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 pm

So I just got my new wheel after the old ones failed. They look awesome but before I just throw them on and go nuts, do I need to check they been tensioned properly or whatever or do I just trust torpedo guys did it ok since I'm hoping they would do or to try reduce warranty claims?:oops:
Using Tapatalk

reefer

Re: Do new wheels need to be tension checked or trued?

Postby reefer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm

My Mavic cxp 33 set from bike 24: Wheels spokes all felt fine, but this is hardly a perfect way to assess tension.

Front wheel - perfect.

Rear wheel - went out of true 2mm just putting tyre on and inflating, in to local LBS for a fix. A week later went out of true 3-4mm crossing local rail crossing, quite a heavy impact with a large bolt I assume fell off some train, into LBS again. Its been fine now for two weeks. Both times my LBS fixed it up for me. Truing is the next skill I learn.

Dudleygbu

Postby Dudleygbu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Mmmmm, seems like it's time to at least get the tool etc. I think I will do the same. Is not just the cost everytime, but more the fact that I have to load the bike up drop it off at the LBS, then pick it up again and so on. It's a real schlep. I think it's time to learn yup. I saw some awesome digital tools to use but just don't want to break the bank.
Using Tapatalk

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm

My zipp 101's came out of the box not only dished so hard to one side they wouldn't fit in my frame with a 25c tyre on, but several of the bladed spokes were actually at 90° like two sharp knife edges, AND the wheel wasn't round, it was oval shaped. Also seemed to slip past the QC guys with NO GREASE in them. Bone dry. $1,500.
However, my $350 machine built open pros on ultegra hubs came out of the box perfect. And I am pretty fussy. They were so round and true, and flicking the spokes even produced an audible pitch across the spokes that varied by less than a semitone across the whole wheel. Months later and several potholes and ugly curb hops I can honestly say it is still just as true.
No harm in checking your wheels though. An eighth of a turn on several spokes is acceptable for a new wheel

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

I check all new wheels I purchase in my truing standard. Rarely have had to make any adjustment. I also check the hubs for proper adjustment and grease. It's worth learning this skill and buying the tools.