SMP Seats

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

SMP Seats

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Ok, can anyone tell me what, the difference is in the this brand range is please? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

by BNA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 pm

BNA

Re: SMP Seats

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 pm

Steve Hogg has a good overview of the premium models

I have a SMP strike & a hybrid if you are looking at the cheap end. Found bike24 & cell bikes to have good prices

Cell have a test program - you pay full price but can swap them around to find what you like - not as good if you have to pay postage
find_bruce

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks Bruce! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Which ones are you looking at foo, I have the selle smp hybred gel and selle italia h2 gel flow, I have quite thick thighs and the selle smp took a while to get used to, I think it may be more suited to a skinny person or someone with a wide pelvis. It holds you in the one position its not good if you like moving around the saddle a lot on the longer rides, that's the way they have designed it.

I can get on the nose of the seat a little but not like I can on others seats and move around on the back when I want to sprint. On longer rides it really starts dig into my thighs and not being able to move around a lot is a pain but the selle italia I haven't had a problem with. A few mates have tried mine and you are either going to love them or hate them.
Dragster1

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Well I'm not looking at the expensive ones but just the mid to lower range ones. I just want one that I don't have to worry about about numb nuts and the old fella! :shock:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby open roader » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Everyone is different.

I have SMP saddles on 4 bikes - in particular the less expensive Strike model on my MTB, good for absorbing gravel road potholes, bumps and corrugations etc but way too much padding for pure black top riding for my undercarriage. For what it worth I use SMP Dynamic saddles on my roadies.

There are differing saddle widths, slight profile/shape differences and variable padding levels across the SMP range.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Ditto as above. Everyone is different and different seats for different purpose. I have the Evolution on the roadie, Hybrid on the MTB and TRK on the commuter.

One thing it did cure was the numb nuts but that was replaced by frozen nuts with the opening in winter. :D Minor inconvenience really.
SmellyTofu

Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:14 pm

If you mean the SMP range, well the names (Dynamic, Glider, Drakon etc...) are meaningless and stupid. I tried a few and they don't vary that much. In the end I settled for the cheaper (and larger) Selle SMP Gel.
AndrewCowley

Postby Clintoo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:20 am

there are differences in width, length and the drop of the nose of the saddle. I could never find a saddle that suited (I had 5 in the drawer). a bike shop in perth has a saddle fit for SMPs. They guaranteed that if you were not happy with the fit you could swap it over.

I brought my bike in. You sit on some padded thing and they get a measurement. For me there were 4 possible saddles that they said could work. We tried them all on my bike on a wind trainer which took about an hour. A couple of them were about 2mm difference in width. A lot of it came down to subtle difference in the shape. I found one I liked and have never looked back. I have 3 of the lite 209s now and have sold off all my old saddles. It is surprising how many other people I speak to on various group rides with a SMP and everyone raves about them too.

They are expensive, but definitely worth it to me.
Clintoo

Postby coyote » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:07 am

Love the seats, the one seat that I have found where you can get up the pegs, then sit down again and be comfortable with out having to wiggle around looking for the right spot. 8)

And the bonus is it matches the bike. :lol:
coyote

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am

I realise everyone is different in their build but I am curious to what the different seat names are for = type of riding, padding but don't care about the weight of them. :wink:

I have an offer to trial a Pro from a good member here so if I can find the time, I will take up that offer. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Go to their site they have a good description and intent of usage http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/products/saddles
Dragster1

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks for that link Dragster. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Daus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:56 pm

I have a SMP Stratos on my road bike which is perfect for my needs, however I started with a larger SMP Lite 209 and found it did not suit me at all. The sizing charts on the SMP site are useful. I also have a ISM Breakaway on my other roady and it is amazing I never get tired of this saddle and would buy another in an instant it was recommended by ISM after I emailed them in the US with my size, weight and bike use, this model range gives the largest range of positioning. No numb bits here :) .
Daus

Postby lincolnsydney » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:02 pm

If you're in Sydney, but from Steve. He'll fit you and guarantees everything he sells, so if it doesn't feel right, he'll swap for one that does. I'm on a Composit. Didn't like em for MTB, am on a Ergon for that (excellent, btw)
lincolnsydney

Postby MattyK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Downlad the PDF from their website, it gives a good overview of which models have the same shell and the varying levels of padding on them. But make sure you test ride a few to find the one for you.
MattyK

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:03 am

I've been using the Strike Extra for 2 or 3 years now, maybe longer, and it's head and shoulders above any other saddle i've ever tried. I did once try a Lite 209 (i think) test saddle from a LBS which was a similar shape but slightly less padding, didn't like it as much. I don't know what the deal is with the Strike Extra, i've never seen it in any official SMP catalogues or on their website, maybe they just don't want to acknowledge that the shape is available for so much less than things like the Lite/Stratos/etc.

I'd offer to loan you my spare but i crashed too many times and had to bin it :) .

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet, the critical thing with these is getting them in the right spot, you really need to take the time to get the angle and position right for it to work. For me it's easy though, a fair way forward and the rails a little bit above level.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Just to add a little, Selle, makers of the SMP also make a range of saddles that can be distinguished from the SMP by being flatter, or even flat in side profile when compared to the SMP which has the curved profile.

http://www.selleitalia.com/en/
Cheers, Flash

2014 TREK Domane 5.2
Fizik Arione CX Kium Saddle
Bontrager Race X Lite Wheelset and Road 3 Tubeless Tyres
flashpixx

Postby edsa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:46 pm

I think selle smp and selle italia are different companies.
There is also a selle san marco and selle royal.

Selle just means saddles in italian.
edsa

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Yep, Selle Italia and Selle SMP are different brands. AFAIK curvy saddles are all SMP does.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby ball bearing » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Selle is Italian for saddle.
ball bearing

Postby rjk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:39 pm

i have the selle smp lite 209 on all 3 of my road bikes, once i found a saddle that works for my i wouldnt use anything else.

# of my friends use these saddles as well, it seems to be the go to one, sweet spot between price and comfort.

I am a large framed gent 5'10" 92kg and wide sit bones if that helps
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk

Postby old al » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 pm

I use an SMP full carbon on my race bike. No padding at all and it is really comfortable. Wouldn't want to tour Australia on it mind you but as long as you wear a quality pair of knicks the shape is perfect, for me anyway.

Al.
old al

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 am

I would suggest quite strongly you get a trial and work through some options. Definitely try different paddings for the width, and try a different width once you have worked out a padding preference. The thin ones like Forma or Composit are brutal but I found it better than the Dynamic with more padding. The shape changes. But the Dynamic was quite hard core at first as well coming from the stock Bontrager. So a trial program is a great idea. The other thing is that there are few cheap options so you might as well go LBS.

I would like to try the full carbon options to feel the compliance difference but I need both kidneys for a while.
Xplora

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:20 am

Xplora wrote:I would suggest quite strongly you get a trial and work through some options.

Absolutely do this. I'm tall & wide and couldn't get comfy on even their widest model. It was like sitting on golf balls. I used it for 2 hours per day for several weeks before giving up on it.
rkelsen

Next

Return to The Shed