Bicycle Tool Kits

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Bicycle Tool Kits

Postby TFairclough » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Guys,
I thought I'll join just to ask a quick question. I know there a few views on this matter, e.g. buy tools as you need them, avoid kits etc - however I thought I'll ask anyways.

I'm looking to getting a home cycling tool kit just for some small work now and then on my bottechia (Campy UT centaurs) and some on my spare casual riding bikes which are all shimano.

I figured it's no harm practising work on my older bikes and buying a spare lockring toll for my campy road bike. I'm looking to start a tool kit from a scratch as I recently moved out of home.

I've narrowed a starting tool kit down to the X-Tools 18 or 37 piece tool kit from chain reactions. Additionally adding a campagnolo lockring go the set and any other parts I need in the future to the kit... Or should I spend some more money and end up with a park tool kit? I have had a few park tools back at home and found they are a touch over rated in my view. I feel that the "bikehand" tools will be rubbish. I have read positively about Nash bar and spin doctor but there US based and shipping kills the savings.

Any opinions?
TFairclough

by BNA » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:21 pm

BNA

Re: Bicycle Tool Kits

Postby yugyug » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Why do you think the Bike Hand tools will be rubbish? I've been happy with mine, seems well made. I'm not a heavy user. Amazon reviews are pretty good.
yugyug

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:22 pm

There is a current discussion on this topic (subject line is not obvious so easily missed) which might be worth a read.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I own some park Tools that I got cheap. Some are well made tools some not so.
I also own Super B tools (from T7) Some are good some not so. Value for money v quality better than Park IMHO.

I would get X-Tools Bike Tool Kit - 18 Piece a good place to start and add tools as you need them. They look similar to the Super B tools I have.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby TFairclough » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply guys, I figured bike end would be the lower end one as reading around a few people have had them snap. I might pull the trigger on the 18 piece as I don't see much more I need which is in the 37.
TFairclough

Postby Clintoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:55 pm

I've got a mix of tools. Some x-tools equivalent that I bought in a big kit years ago and some Park. I have busted a few bits of the cheap kit gear and replaced it with Park.

I think chain breakers it is definitely worth the money to buy a Park or other quality. I broke the x-tools one that came in the kit the 2nd time I used it.

I just recently broke a crank puller too, which I had probably used 3 times. but again not something I use very often. In its defense it was a 20 year old bike, and I suspect the cranks had never been off. I just ordered a Park one.

I have x-tool cone spanners, which I got cheap on CRC. They are clearly cheap, but then it is not that often I am pulling hubs apart.

I think if you appreciate which tools are cheap and are careful with them they should be fine. the x-tools surfaces are probably not as hard as say Parks so just be conscious of that when you are applying a lot of force and that you have everything lined up properly.

Also the ones that you will use all the time such as chain breakers and allen keys, it is probably worth getting a good quality tool.

Other advice would be to buy a cassette lock ring tool with the handle. they are so much easier to use. I do use my cheap x-tool chain whip though and it is still going strong.
Clintoo

Postby TFairclough » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Thank you for the reply, I was looking into some BBB handle lockring tools. At this stage I might order a cheap kit and buy some top end tools to put in it or go from scratch. I heard the lifeline tool set was good - shame it's not stocked anymore.
TFairclough

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:11 pm

TFairclough wrote:...I was looking into some BBB handle lockring tools.

Look elsewhere unless you like tool heads that fall off their handles.

I prefer lockring tools with out handles; whack the tool in a bence vice, then you've got both hands available to ensure the chainwhip doesn't slip off. You can then also use the wheel itself as a spanner to tighten the lockring. :wink:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Return to The Shed