jetglo

Re: Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Postby jetglo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Yes I use black O-rings Mulger bill

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:38 pm

jetglo wrote:Yes I use black O-rings Mulger bill
Silicone O-Rings are better they last longer and don't break down under UV or develop crazy pave.

Ricky

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Someone asked me to develop a mount for another product to suit Cateye and in that process I got a good look at the Cateye fork crown mount.

(see here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=catey ... 22&bih=664)

This is a very sturdy unit and I wondered if an Ay-Up to Cateye mount would be useful to anyone? With this part you could clip a set of Ay-Up lights to any of the assorted Cateye mounts. Basically the same as my earlier Ay-Up to GoPro design with the GoPro bit replaced with a Cateye shape.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 pm

I could use some suggestions on how to better mount my Ay-Ups near my Garmin (Edge 1000).

On my older bike, I have a narrow stem and an old K-Edge mount and the original Ay-Up mount nicely fits over the top. But on my newer bike, currently using the genuine Garmin outfront mount, the Garmin mount + stem are too wide to fit within the Ay-Up mount. So my Garmin is mounted off centre which doesn't look nice.

The simplest solution would be a wider Ay-Up mount, if there was such a thing. Has anyone seen one?

Alternatively, a Garmin + GoPro mount with a GoPro to AyUp adapter as mentioned in this thread. (K-Edge XL combo is pricey though.) Or a fork mount GoPro mount with GoPro to AyUp adapter. I see those adapters all here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wombats_widget_workshop

My other criteria is that I need access to the Edge USB port on the go, for recharging. The Garmin mount is good for that, some third party ones have a wide arm from the right hand side which blocks the port.

Fits:
Doesn't fit:

G-rig

Postby G-rig » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Was thinking of doing the ay-up helmet mount mod (which one end straps onto the stem and other onto the 4 stem plate bolts similar to this :

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 13#p894613

Only problem now is that my 3t arx ii team stem has the bolts close together so the holes probably won't work.

Wish someone would just come up with something that screws directly into the underside of the garmin out front mount, without two different adapters having the lights hanging down quite low.

The other handle bars lights also blocked by the out front mount so it's a no go either. Could mount upside down, the beam is changed a bit thou.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 am

G-rig wrote:Wish someone would just come up with something that screws directly into the underside of the garmin out front mount, without two different adapters having the lights hanging down quite low.
This is something I could probably do. Let me add it to the pile of projects that I'm slowly working on.

G-rig

Postby G-rig » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 am

madmarsupial wrote:
This is something I could probably do. Let me add it to the pile of projects that I'm slowly working on.
Cheers, beyond me why Ay-up haven't come up with some modern mounting and charging options yet, bit old school and stuck in their ways.

I'm actually over it and got a Cateye Volt 800, mounts upside down on the bars too, standard usb micro charging :D

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:38 pm

G-rig wrote:Cheers, beyond me why Ay-up haven't come up with some modern mounting and charging options yet, bit old school and stuck in their ways.
Sadly true. I've had AyUps since 2010 and apart from minor tweaks to the LEDs and the batteries and the packaging they haven't really changed at all. I think some fresh mounts would be great - my issue could be solved just with a wider handle bar mount.

G-rig

Postby G-rig » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Mounts are always a bit of an issue, the out front mounts can also block some of the beam from a light mounted on the top of the bars too.

I just noticed Garmin are releasing a light that mounts under a go pro mount which is handy.

danger1

Postby danger1 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:07 pm

A mate grabeed the print specs for the garmin out front mount-ayup system, and it works awesome for the road.
Anyone seen a system for mounting to the seat rails? would be great to be able to jam a battery and light under there for the roady.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:53 am

Has anyone tried these ready-made AyUp GoPro mounts?
https://fullbeam.com.au/products/race-w ... opro-mount
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VN ... opro-mount

I've just ordered a GoPro anyway and I'm thinking about a K-Edge combo Garmin/GoPro mount, so with the above I could just hang the lights underneath except when I'm using the GoPro (which won't be too often).

Or, even go the double GoPro adapter so I can put lights + GoPro, or 2x AyUps:
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/282984224114?chn=ps

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

I have a Race Ware Garmin-GoPro mount from Fullbeam Aust.
It's been on the bike for nearly 2 years now and still going strong.
The Race Ware mounts are 3D printed I think, not cheap but well designed and seem to withstand UV degradation.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi all AYUP users, apologies for a deep thread resurrection.

Snaffled some AYUP's to use on the Cannondale Slate, and in the process of working out how best to mount them.

It seems that the AYUP Handlebar Mount is likely my best option, as the std Wahoo BOLT mount doesn't have the gopro mounting tabs underneath ('coz it's aero man !!! :roll: ).

I couldn't see any other alternatives that worked easily (and cost effective) in the thread. I have all the std mounts that come in the kit, so may be able to McGyver something, but hoping there are others that can guide me a but more ?

Ta :D

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 pm

The stock handlebar mount works fine if you have room?

I've only ever toyed with other mounts with trying to fit two sets of AyUps on, which is less of an issue for me these days.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:49 am

Sometimes I should look 1st :roll: :oops:

In the kit is a handlebar mount :D

Luckily I bailed at the cost of shipping and don’t get one.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm

The HB mount is relatively soft and pliable. I've Dremel'd one and heat-gunned another so they will sit astride the stem upside down. Leaves room on top for "stuff".
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:31 am

ValleyForge wrote:The HB mount is relatively soft and pliable. I've Dremel'd one and heat-gunned another so they will sit astride the stem upside down. Leaves room on top for "stuff".
Actually, the kit came with two.

Quick trial fit and looks like it will go underneath bar without issue, but still need to finish installing new bars

daktak

Postby daktak » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:29 am

I had 2 mounts printed. The plastic may have been less flexible than the design required, so I had to file both openings back to be able to fit the light in without snapping the mount. I then use a hair-tie to secure the light.

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:714187
https://www.thingiverse.com/make:714337

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:08 pm

I've found some time to redraw my old design.

Key dimensions are the same for the mount (hole for AyUp cable, diameter of clip) but everything else is redone so that it looks a lot nicer. My CAD skills have improved in the past 5 years.

Up on my shapeways shop as the 2020 update. Original design still available at a cheaper price.

http://shpws.me/SoZ4

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Now that I have a couple of samples of my newer design, the old ones that I've had on my bike are sitting idle and I don't want them to go to waste.

If any AyUp user would like one for cost of postage (probably about $5) , please get in touch. I have two of my original design available in black.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 am

madmarsupial wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm
Now that I have a couple of samples of my newer design, the old ones that I've had on my bike are sitting idle and I don't want them to go to waste.

If any AyUp user would like one for cost of postage (probably about $5) , please get in touch. I have two of my original design available in black.
Still have these.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?