Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

madmarsupial

Re: Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Espresso_ wrote: So for someone that just wants to mount the AyUps in a different way to the standard handlebar mount, would I just need a GoPro mount?
Correct. Any GoPro or GoPro compatible mount will work with my design.
Espresso_ wrote:I'm basically looking for a solution where the AyUps mount higher than (and maybe forward of) the bars.
Have a look at the various GoPro mounts to see what suits your situation. For example the K-Edge 'Go Big' mounts will fit your handlebar and come in a couple of sizes to allow (with my mount attached instead of a GoPro) to have AyUps situated anything from about 20mm to 80mm above the handlebar.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Although originally for another use, I've designed a small part that may also help with mounting AyUps yet another way.

The new part is a GoPro-to-Cateye mount that allows any of the assorted Cateye tail light mounts (seat post, saddle rail, pannier rack) to accept a GoPro mount. I had been asked to create something that fitted the special slot on the back of many Fizik saddles. Instead of recreating the whole complex clip, I just made this part to replace the tail light that was intended for the standard mount.

See rendering and images on Shapeways.
http://shpws.me/JQqV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When used with my GoPro>AyUp mount you can now use a number of extra mounting options. Many people will already have Cateye parts laying around.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:50 am

This may work out for a light mount (with suspension!!) $40...
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bike- ... s/ODIN-AB1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Ok so I am a bit special!

Bought the part from shape ways and run a k edge with garmin. What part do I need to attach the shape ways part to my k edge? I am completely lost

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:07 pm

melbnut wrote:Ok so I am a bit special!

Bought the part from shape ways and run a k edge with garmin. What part do I need to attach the shape ways part to my k edge? I am completely lost

I'm going to guess that your K-Edge mount is an older "plain" version that does not have the GoPro mount on the bottom side of it - thus you are a bit lost as there is nothing to attach the light mount to.

The bit I think you are missing is this:
http://www.acecosportgroup.com/k-edge-g ... rface.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The final look should be:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10246348 ... 2443711075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I am correct you will need to add something, however I'd be happy to quickly 3-d print up something for you and post it. Won't be quite as neat as the official bit (and you'll need to find the small bolts locally), but will do the job.

Confirm if I've guessed correctly, then give me a private message to sort out the extra bit.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 pm

melbnut wrote:I am completely lost
Did you get it sorted out? You've gone quiet on us...

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:22 pm

http://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory-e/sg400-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this....cheap too.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 pm

carcharias wrote:http://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory-e/sg400-e.html

or this....cheap too.
Still doesn't solve the issue that the standard AyUp mount takes up a lot of room and can only be used on longer flat areas of bars.

I did have a similar out-the-front mount like this, but it isn't always the best solution.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:49 pm

I've updated the double adaptor GoPro mount for the bottom of a K-Edge computer mount.

Design now has a captive nut arrangement as well as a few subtle tweaks to the overall shape. Home printed prototype works well so I have ordered a 'real' one from Shapeways so that I can test it a bit more.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UWU4W ... 2b49dc92b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:43 pm

I've made a slight modification to the captive nut (altered size as it was a bit loose) and all my designs are now available in bright colours - if you are into that sort of thing!

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Would anyone be interested if I designed something to mount to a fork crown? There was a suggestion of this at the start of the thread.

Basically I'd create something that you could fit behind a road brake caliper or to a drilled fork as is (i.e. if you have canti or disk brakes).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:53 pm

madmarsupial wrote:Would anyone be interested if I designed something to mount to a fork crown? There was a suggestion of this at the start of the thread.

Basically I'd create something that you could fit behind a road brake caliper or to a drilled fork as is (i.e. if you have canti or disk brakes).
That sounds interesting!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:34 am

queequeg wrote: That sounds interesting!
Would you want something that went directly to an Ay-Up mount, or do I put a GoPro style mount on the end thus enabling use of all sorts of attachments?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:10 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
queequeg wrote: That sounds interesting!
Would you want something that went directly to an Ay-Up mount, or do I put a GoPro style mount on the end thus enabling use of all sorts of attachments?
I'd lean towards the Go-Pro mount, as I can then use it on my race bike to mount either a camera or the light. The bars on my race bike have no place to mount stuff, so I'm thinking of ditching them for a different set such as the 3T Aeronova, and switching my commuter to use a Dynohub with a fork crown mounted dyno light, then my AYup becomes a backup light only.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:46 pm

madmarsupial wrote:Would anyone be interested if I designed something to mount to a fork crown? There was a suggestion of this at the start of the thread.

Yes, very interested. :) If you can do something that can fit behind the road-brake caliper. Will there be any issues with water spray from the wheel?

I've not used my Ay-Ups in a while due to them not fitting easily on the bars with the Fetha gamin-mount I have on the front of the stem of my bike.

I have a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 with a very chunky carbon stem, that, and how I have the Garmin fitted to the bike makes using the Ay-Up lights far more difficult.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:13 pm

g-boaf wrote: Yes, very interested. :) If you can do something that can fit behind the road-brake caliper.
There seem to be a lot of mounts for dynamo lights etc to go on fork crowns, but most seem to be on bikes with canti, disk or v-brakes. Many of the mounts are either too thick (brake mounting bolt might not be long enough) or might not clear the top of the road calipers. The part will need to be thin and there won't be much room for strength stiffening, but I think it can work. I'll keep it short too.
g-boaf wrote:Will there be any issues with water spray from the wheel?
Possibly as you are closer to the wheel, but I imagine that most will be hitting the downtube of the frame and the front is more protected due to direction of spin.
g-boaf wrote: I've not used my Ay-Ups in a while due to them not fitting easily on the bars with the Fetha gamin-mount I have on the front of the stem of my bike.
The Fetha mount looks very nice. What is on the underside of that? Perhaps a GoPro compatible mount can be screwed/bolted on to the bottom face in the same way as the K-Edge Garmin-GoPro combo mount?
g-boaf wrote: I have a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 with a very chunky carbon stem, that, and how I have the Garmin fitted to the bike makes using the Ay-Up lights far more difficult.
Shouldn't be too hard if we put the lights either on the bottom of your out-in-front Garmin mount or down above the brakes.

garthmci

Postby garthmci » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Massively late to this thread, but love the design that's gone into these!

Did you end up doing a bulk order?
I was thinking of getting one of these, but haven't used shapeways before. Is it as obvious as just buy it and send it?
http://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VNP ... dd45a3887f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:25 am

garthmci wrote:Massively late to this thread, but love the design that's gone into these!

Did you end up doing a bulk order?
I was thinking of getting one of these, but haven't used shapeways before. Is it as obvious as just buy it and send it?
http://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VNP ... dd45a3887f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the comments. I was solving my problem and it is a bonus that others can benefit. Buying a 3d printer to play with has been fun!

I didn't do a bulk order as no one asked.

Shapeways is as simple as clicking 'buy' and they send it, but the cost of shipping for one very small item is a bit high. That is why I offered to do a bulk order. I would order 10-20 pieces (or as many as needed) and pay the one shipping fee to me, then post them on at a cheaper rate (standard air mail instead of expensive courier/express). Overall it would work out cheaper. Oh well...

I've got one new piece here if you want to avoid the higher shipping fee and you are not in a mad rush. Message me directly if you are interested.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:05 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Yes, very interested. :) If you can do something that can fit behind the road-brake caliper.
There seem to be a lot of mounts for dynamo lights etc to go on fork crowns, but most seem to be on bikes with canti, disk or v-brakes. Many of the mounts are either too thick (brake mounting bolt might not be long enough) or might not clear the top of the road calipers. The part will need to be thin and there won't be much room for strength stiffening, but I think it can work. I'll keep it short too.
g-boaf wrote:Will there be any issues with water spray from the wheel?
Possibly as you are closer to the wheel, but I imagine that most will be hitting the downtube of the frame and the front is more protected due to direction of spin.
g-boaf wrote: I've not used my Ay-Ups in a while due to them not fitting easily on the bars with the Fetha gamin-mount I have on the front of the stem of my bike.
The Fetha mount looks very nice. What is on the underside of that? Perhaps a GoPro compatible mount can be screwed/bolted on to the bottom face in the same way as the K-Edge Garmin-GoPro combo mount?
g-boaf wrote: I have a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 with a very chunky carbon stem, that, and how I have the Garmin fitted to the bike makes using the Ay-Up lights far more difficult.
Shouldn't be too hard if we put the lights either on the bottom of your out-in-front Garmin mount or down above the brakes.
No photos at the moment, as I caught the train to work instead of riding. But the fetha mount doesn't have anything underneath it - it's just flat. A similar option of a GoPro style mount that can be attached Fetha style would work too. I'll get some photos tonight.

I do also have a K-edge Go-pro thing I can attach to the handlebars as well.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm

g-boaf wrote:No photos at the moment, as I caught the train to work instead of riding. But the fetha mount doesn't have anything underneath it - it's just flat. A similar option of a GoPro style mount that can be attached Fetha style would work too. I'll get some photos tonight.

I do also have a K-edge Go-pro thing I can attach to the handlebars as well.
The images of the Fetha that I could find online seemed to have two bolt holes in that round area to hold down the plastic Garmin mount. My thought would be to put longer bolts through there and use that to secure something to the bottom.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:48 pm

I managed to work on the fork crown mount today.

See album of images: https://goo.gl/photos/Y4UWN695Be8zKK9L9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The general design looked good and printed well:

I got excited when it bolted on behind the brake neatly:

And then I realised that I hadn't taken into account the long part of the brake caliper that the cable attaches to! The Ayup lights or GoPro clashes, so I will need to redesign a bit.

Ignoring that little mix up, is the general plan looking like what you imagined?

EDIT: and I still can't get image links to work! I'm sorry, but you'll work out how to follow the trail...

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:Yes, very interested. :) If you can do something that can fit behind the road-brake caliper. Will there be any issues with water spray from the wheel?
Here is a quick Mk2 with the mounting point for the light 7mm further forward.
https://goo.gl/photos/qmpQHrqoyHBHhbNQ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(4 more pics in the album, link in message above)

The light is *just* clear of the cables so I might benefit from a couple more mm forward. I might make it a little lower too.

There is a bit of 'whip' in the mount around the thin point just above where it is bolted down. Might need to alter the sides a little to help stiffen it. Pretty sure it won't break, but the beam wobbling on the road might be annoying and any footage from a mounted GoPro might be crappy.

Note: I think the mount would only be happy with the new shape square GoPro. A traditional case GoPro will be clashing with your gear cables.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:29 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Yes, very interested. :) If you can do something that can fit behind the road-brake caliper. Will there be any issues with water spray from the wheel?
Here is a quick Mk2 with the mounting point for the light 7mm further forward.
https://goo.gl/photos/qmpQHrqoyHBHhbNQ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(4 more pics in the album, link in message above)

The light is *just* clear of the cables so I might benefit from a couple more mm forward. I might make it a little lower too.

There is a bit of 'whip' in the mount around the thin point just above where it is bolted down. Might need to alter the sides a little to help stiffen it. Pretty sure it won't break, but the beam wobbling on the road might be annoying and any footage from a mounted GoPro might be crappy.

Note: I think the mount would only be happy with the new shape square GoPro. A traditional case GoPro will be clashing with your gear cables.
That looks quite decent to me. :)

I have pretty much nothing on the front of mine excepting the Fetha stem mount for the Garmin and the standard Dura Ace 9000 brakes.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:That looks quite decent to me. :)
Slightly revised Mk3 is better. Stiffer and more clearance.

The three versions together, oldest at top. Newest has a thicker side panel and a small cross brace at the bottom.
https://goo.gl/photos/fvYUckwivwaRSYk57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest fitted to bike.
https://goo.gl/photos/RQxEFuWGvyMh62KX8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll do a couple of small cosmetic changes, but I will upload it to Shapeways today if anyone is keen to get one.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Very cool. Nice work.