Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Drizt

Re: Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Postby Drizt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:58 pm

With the help of some 3d printed goods, kedge gopro mount and some DIY alloy we have set up my wifes commputer with rear ayups and virb hanging off her bike rack.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:05 pm

The ayup mount allows a little movement so I will need to add something in the interface to fix that. Edit: some electrical tape wrapped around the ayup plug to better fill the whole in the mount fixed the issue.

Used these bits:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E2Z8B ... d=40478770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VN ... d=57351577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 am

Drizt wrote:The ayup mount allows a little movement so I will need to add something in the interface to fix that. Edit: some electrical tape wrapped around the ayup plug to better fill the whole in the mount fixed the issue.

Used these bits:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E2Z8B ... d=40478770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VN ... d=57351577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicely done.

I had worked on a couple of rough designs for a double mount like that one you used (top link) and never quite got it to work. This guy nailed it.

Which bit of the AyUp mount was loose? The hole for the plug? I can alter the design a bit to tighten that up a little.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:50 am

Yeh, the ayup was able to move inside the mount. Adding the tape around the plug made it a snug fit. So yeah, making the hole a bit smaller would work i guess. Wouldn't want it to small though.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Drizt wrote:Yeh, the ayup was able to move inside the mount. Adding the tape around the plug made it a snug fit. So yeah, making the hole a bit smaller would work i guess. Wouldn't want it to small though.
Might be one of those things that is either too loose or too tight depending on your lights or variation in production.

I'll double check my lights and the CAD file. Perhaps 0.25 or 0.5 mm might make a difference.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:49 am

Drizt wrote:Yeh, the ayup was able to move inside the mount. Adding the tape around the plug made it a snug fit. So yeah, making the hole a bit smaller would work i guess. Wouldn't want it to small though.

I've done some measuring.

Design is created with hole at 10.5mm diameter. Actual produced parts are more like 10.25 or 10.3mm. The cable plug area of the AyUp light (I've got two) measures at about 9.75mm. I think I could probably adjust that a little - the whole 0.5mm difference or perhaps 0.35-0.4mm.

Fork Crown Mount:
The 'proper' Shapeways made copy has arrived and I'm very happy with it. Much stiffer than my home made prototype. I'll install it and run the AyUps off it and report back. Might be a few days though - it has been raining pretty solidly here and doesn't look like letting up until mid-next week.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Not raining today so I managed to get out with the Fork Crown mount installed.

Works fine and I'm happy with how secure it is with a set of AyUp lights mounted. There is some wobble on rougher sections of road and at speed. Since it was getting light (morning ride) it was not possible for me to see how noticeable this is with the beam on the road.

I'm not confident about this mount with the extra weight of a GoPro camera, but I'll test it out using a safety lanyard just in case.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JFN5F ... opro-mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:01 pm

A question for the participants in the thread...

Would it be worth expanding this thread into a 3D printing resource for members?
It seems to me from reading this and browsing Shapeways that the possibilities for custom small bike accessories would be nearly limitless

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:01 pm

I am biased - of course - but there are obviously more uses for new/odd mounts than just Ay-Up lights, so perhaps a more general 'custom mounts & 3d printing' thread might be handy to a wider range of people.

There are some wonderful ideas and designs on Shapeways and other similar platforms.

Mulger bill wrote:A question for the participants in the thread...

Would it be worth expanding this thread into a 3D printing resource for members?
It seems to me from reading this and browsing Shapeways that the possibilities for custom small bike accessories would be nearly limitless

Cheers
Shaun

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:31 pm

I've made a new version of the fork crown mount that is beefed up a bit and should take the weight of a camera.

However, it is not suitable for road brake calipers, so only for disk or v-brake bikes.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DJLBY ... li=ostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:36 pm

madmarsupial wrote:

I've done some measuring.

Design is created with hole at 10.5mm diameter. Actual produced parts are more like 10.25 or 10.3mm. The cable plug area of the AyUp light (I've got two) measures at about 9.75mm. I think I could probably adjust that a little - the whole 0.5mm difference or perhaps 0.35-0.4mm.
Well, that didn't work. It is as tight as a duck's butt now! I'm sure that it would be fine with the merest wave of some sand paper, but I'll change it most of the way back! I tried it at 10mm, but will upload it at 10.4mm.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:39 pm

madmarsupial wrote:I've made a new version of the fork crown mount that is beefed up a bit and should take the weight of a camera.

However, it is not suitable for road brake calipers, so only for disk or v-brake bikes.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DJLBY ... li=ostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the Shapeways printed version of this now and it is much stiffer than the road brake version.

It has not been tested on a bike yet but I am quite confident that it will happily take the weight of a GoPro.

Lukebrown

Postby Lukebrown » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:47 pm

I just ordered one of your Ayup clips. Plan is to use it to attach my Ayups underneath my k-edge garmin gopro combo bracket.

I did a quick google search and found a promo code for a $10 discount, so including postage it was about $24 AUD.

I'll let you know what I think when it arrives :-)

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Lukebrown wrote:I just ordered one of your Ayup clips. Plan is to use it to attach my Ayups underneath my k-edge garmin gopro combo bracket.

I did a quick google search and found a promo code for a $10 discount, so including postage it was about $24 AUD.

I'll let you know what I think when it arrives :-)

A promo code is a good find!

The biggest problem with Shapeways (and other similar services) is that the postage cost can make one item a bit expensive.

Please do give some feedback. I'm planning to do a few revisions to the design soon.

V17L

Postby V17L » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi,
just ordered the crown mounting (both vbrake and calliper) and ayup mount, regulation black.
Have been wondering how to mount my ayups on mine and the GLW's bike when we have handlebar bags fitted.
Found this promo code for $25 worth of shipping http://www.fyvor.com/coupons/shapeways/ expires in six days.
cheers
stevet
Giant Defy 1

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed May 11, 2016 6:21 am

V17L wrote:Hi,
just ordered the crown mounting (both vbrake and calliper) and ayup mount, regulation black.
Have been wondering how to mount my ayups on mine and the GLW's bike when we have handlebar bags fitted.
Found this promo code for $25 worth of shipping http://www.fyvor.com/coupons/shapeways/ expires in six days.
cheers
stevet

Steve, let me know how you get on with the fork crown mounts. I revised the design for the road caliper version a few days before I think your purchased yours to tidy up what I think was a weak spot. My mount cracked at that point as I smacked over a pothole that I didn't see in time. Hopefully the alteration solves that.

G-rig

Postby G-rig » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 pm

Ratts wrote:[url=http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Ratts ... 1.jpg.html][url=http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Ratts ... 2.jpg.html]

I have been using a cut down Ay Up handle bar mount screwed to the extra holes in a K Edge mount as in the pictures, If they come out. have had this setup for almost 2 years and have not had any issues other than a rubber strap tear at the hole. After that I used cable ties instead of the rubber strap.

After cutting down the Au Yp mount and removing the Garmin locking device from the K edge mount, I mounted it in the correct position and drilled pilot holes from the top. Then removed it and increased the hole size and screwing it all back together.
Hi guys, sorry for bumping an old thread- just seeing what people are doing with this now and if there is any 3d-printed solution available that are strong enough etc.

I was thinking of doing something similar to Ratts here, but cutting down a standard ay-up handlebar or helmet mount. This looks like the most simple and clean solution. The Ay-up mounting system is pretty archaic and surprised they haven't come up with something better. I have a Garmin out front mount.

Just wondering what the extra piece of plastic is and if you can't just screw the mount straight to the underside of the mount? Also not sure whether the Garmin mount is strong enough. It is plastic vs the k-edge one, may offer some dampening though.

Cheers,

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 am

G-rig wrote:Hi guys, sorry for bumping an old thread- just seeing what people are doing with this now and if there is any 3d-printed solution available that are strong enough etc.

I was thinking of doing something similar to Ratts here, but cutting down a standard ay-up handlebar or helmet mount. This looks like the most simple and clean solution. The Ay-up mounting system is pretty archaic and surprised they haven't come up with something better. I have a Garmin out front mount.

Just wondering what the extra piece of plastic is and if you can't just screw the mount straight to the underside of the mount? Also not sure whether the Garmin mount is strong enough. It is plastic vs the k-edge one, may offer some dampening though.

Cheers,
I'm sure the Garmin mount would be OK since the Ayup is light. Might wobble a bit over bumps.

The K-edge with the Go-pro mount works very well with the special adaptor I designed, but you'd have to spend extra money to get the K-edge mount.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:24 pm

I fitted 4 x Phillips head screws to the mount where the cable ties go through and left about 2-3mm of thread exposed. The using o rings it's a quick and easy fit.

G-rig

Postby G-rig » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks guys
madmarsupial wrote:
I'm sure the Garmin mount would be OK since the Ayup is light. Might wobble a bit over bumps.

The K-edge with the Go-pro mount works very well with the special adaptor I designed, but you'd have to spend extra money to get the K-edge mount.
Yes, I'd have to invest in the K-edge and Go-pro mounts, as well as your adaptor (if it is still for sale?). I still want to be able to take off easily and/or use on multiple bikes.

Would be a lot easier just getting a Lezyne Power Drive or similar, although the ay-ups are still great lights and wouldn't get much if for them. USB charging and a simpler interface would be nice though.

G-rig

Re: It's late, I'm tired and it's not even September

Postby G-rig » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:45 am

Thoglette wrote:
Thoglette wrote:Even if you are going to "drink the google-aid" it can be done like this
Blahh, google is generating one-time-only links. B :oops: gger. Worked all right last night, cleared the session and it's a fail for me.

See if this lasts any longer
Any reason why someone couldn't make a CNC version of this in aluminium or some other lightweight metal? 3D printed doesn't seem so strong?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: It's late, I'm tired and it's not even September

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:23 pm

G-rig wrote:Any reason why someone couldn't make a CNC version of this in aluminium or some other lightweight metal? 3D printed doesn't seem so strong?
At a guess, some flexibility is needed in that spec mount as the head unit clips in instead of strapping on as done on the bar mount
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:55 am

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:17 pm

jetglo wrote:Image
Are you using rubber bands hooked around the screw heads to secure the mount in a detachable way?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
jetglo wrote:Image
Are you using rubber bands hooked around the screw heads to secure the mount in a detachable way?
I adopted this brilliant idea across three mounts about 4 minutes after seeing Jetglos work. I use 10mm wide strips of MTB inner tube but I'm sure other stretchies would do the trick.

Best bang for buck mod I've ever done.
London Boy 29/12/2011