Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

eeksll

Re: Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Postby eeksll » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:59 pm

queequeg wrote:I was going to ask, why not just use the existing rubber retention strap. I have never had any issues removing/fitting the lights. The bit I don't like is the actual mount itself as it uses zip ties and can slide around a bit on some bars.
On my S5 it is a dirty hack due to the aero bars.
Maybe I am not very dexterous but its always a 2 handed operation for me and I have had a few rubber straps break on me over the years. When one hand is holding a helmet and if I have gloves on already, its just kinda annoying .... it would be nice if I could park in places which don't require me to remove the lights at all. I do make one compromise and just left the battery on the bike.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:04 pm

I have had one strap break in 6 years, across 4 sets lights. I used to pull them off when I parked the bike, but I don't bother at work as we have a secure cage, and the others who ride know that if anyone messes with a bike, it will be all bets off.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:34 pm

ImageImageImageImage

I have been using a cut down Ay Up handle bar mount screwed to the extra holes in a K Edge mount as in the pictures, If they come out. have had this setup for almost 2 years and have not had any issues other than a rubber strap tear at the hole. After that I used cable ties instead of the rubber strap.

After cutting down the Au Yp mount and removing the Garmin locking device from the K edge mount, I mounted it in the correct position and drilled pilot holes from the top. Then removed it and increased the hole size and screwing it all back together.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Thats a good solution Ratts.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:22 pm

queequeg wrote:I was going to ask, why not just use the existing rubber retention strap. I have never had any issues removing/fitting the lights. The bit I don't like is the actual mount itself as it uses zip ties and can slide around a bit on some bars.
On my S5 it is a dirty hack due to the aero bars.
I did mess about with one design using the strap, but it is a bit more fiddly than I thought was needed. Two round posts are needed for the strap to hook on, and those posts need to be a set distance apart.

It would be possible to make a mount like this but it would be a little bit longer. I'll finish off my draft later on and let you check it out.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Ratts wrote:I have been using a cut down Ay Up handle bar mount screwed to the extra holes in a K Edge mount as in the pictures, If they come out. have had this setup for almost 2 years and have not had any issues other than a rubber strap tear at the hole. After that I used cable ties instead of the rubber strap.

After cutting down the Au Yp mount and removing the Garmin locking device from the K edge mount, I mounted it in the correct position and drilled pilot holes from the top. Then removed it and increased the hole size and screwing it all back together.
This looks sturdy, but it still has one of the features that I've struggled to work around...namely the strap being 'trapped' behind the mount.

On the normal mount you've got a couple of cm to get your finger in to push the strap onto the post. On this design it is permanently attached by being clamped between the mount part and the disk that fits to the K-Edge mount. The straps don't break often, so unscrewing it all to replace one isn't really an issue, but I wanted to avoid this being so awkward.

Options were to eliminate the need for that 90deg turn of the strap to behind the mount and leave it more in a straight line - but this makes the mount longer - or to not use the strap at all.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:27 am

Here is a very quick and dirty design that uses the strap. It needs a couple of adjustments but I'd probably redesign it from scratch to make it more visually attractive.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The light is about 15mm lower than my C-clip design. This is because I need to accommodate the length of the strap.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just thinking that perhaps the orientation could be turned 90deg so that the light is higher up, but further forward (the mount now being a bit L shaped. Might need to do some paper sketching...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/x ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/S ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:08 am

Just checking back in to the thread I started some time ago - progress is looking good!

To the extent as OP my opinion counts, I like the idea of mounting using one of the more standard accessory mounts, Garmin K-Edge etc.

Also, for my purposes I need a mount that raises the lights up from the handlebar, so something that mounts on top (rather than underneath) some of these standard mounts would work best for me. The original problem for me persists - how to mount and clear a handlebar bag?

I'm obviously in for whatever solution finally gets printed / made from all this.

E

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Espresso_ wrote:...for my purposes I need a mount that raises the lights up from the handlebar, so something that mounts on top (rather than underneath) some of these standard mounts would work best for me. The original problem for me persists - how to mount and clear a handlebar bag?
Any system compatible with the GoPro mounts should offer you enough options to get what you want. There are multiple mounts (handlebar, stem cap) and even some extension parts available.

How much higher than the handlebar do you need? Simply above, or an extra inch or two?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

madmarsupial wrote: How much higher than the handlebar do you need? Simply above, or an extra inch or two?
Yeah two inches would probably clear most handlebar bags.

E

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Espresso_ wrote:
madmarsupial wrote: How much higher than the handlebar do you need? Simply above, or an extra inch or two?
Yeah two inches would probably clear most handlebar bags.

E
would that be high enough for you to point the light down as far as you need i.e without the bag being in the way.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 pm

I notice that someone has purchased one of the mounts from Shapeways.

If you are one of the folks who has watched this discussion, please let me know how it works for you and if you can spot anything that can be improved.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Shapeways used to do a Garmin/AYUP mount but stopped doing them, possibly because of failures. These were for the earlier Garmin 200/500 so probably won't fit the later 510 (and now 520).
There was a version for the Garmin 800 which may of worked with the later, bigger Garmins.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/LJS5A9 ... line-mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shapeways.com/product/ATQGTU ... Box-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:41 pm

My 'properly' printed Shapeways parts have arrived.

More photos in the gallery
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/f ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The small Go-Pro C-clip mount works, but could still be a bit tighter. I got two printed and one is tighter than the other. Both require a bit of wiggling to get into the K-Edge GoPro mount so I might have to shave a whisker off the mount tabs.

The direct to K-Edge C-clip works but I'm not sure if this is really worthwhile when you consider the first design and the flexibility that offers.

The two-in-one mount also works. Will need to test ride it a bit. Can see some improvements (ignoring the obvious lack of a captive nut set up).

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:40 am

madmarsupial wrote:My 'properly' printed Shapeways parts have arrived.

More photos in the gallery
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/f ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The small Go-Pro C-clip mount works, but could still be a bit tighter. I got two printed and one is tighter than the other. Both require a bit of wiggling to get into the K-Edge GoPro mount so I might have to shave a whisker off the mount tabs.

The direct to K-Edge C-clip works but I'm not sure if this is really worthwhile when you consider the first design and the flexibility that offers.

The two-in-one mount also works. Will need to test ride it a bit. Can see some improvements (ignoring the obvious lack of a captive nut set up).

That is awesome! Love your work.

Once you have refined the design I might have to look into this further. Might be able to pull the ay-up out of the cupboard :)

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:19 am

For cheap and off-the-shelf these look like a good option at less than $20

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GUB-G-55 ... 03957.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Road ... 79992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:00 pm

I've revised the design slightly to make the C clip a bit tighter.

My at home 3d print of this revised part works very well. Grip is good with no wobble. Not so tight that it snapped the PLA print. Should be even better in the higher-quality print from Shapeways.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll upload this one to Shapeways and get a sample printed to test.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VN ... dd45a3887f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wombats Widget Workshop

The sample that I currently have on the bike is the earlier design. It works fine, but the light can be wobbled by hand. Not noticeable while riding, but still needing improving.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Looking good. Look forward to reading your thoughts on the shapeways version.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Discodan wrote:For cheap and off-the-shelf these look like a good option at less than $20

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GUB-G-55 ... 03957.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Road ... 79992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These bar extensions work well and I've even used one, however they don't solve the underlying problems with the standard AyUp mount.

You can get the standard AyUp mount and a Garmin mount (held by the rubber bands) on to one of these, but then any other items like a camera take up more room. The final result can often still be a 'kludge'.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm

The revised design is working well and I'm happy with it.

It is available here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XA9VN ... dd45a3887f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Group/bulk order?
If anyone is keen to purchase one let me know as I'm happy to organise a bulk purchase to keep costs down. The Shapeways system is good value, but the shipping costs are quite high if you are only purchasing one item. My plan would be to organise a bigger batch, then once they arrive with me send them on to each person with cheaper postage. With a big enough order (even 10!) it would make the whole thing much cheaper. I'm sure I could on-ship for a lot less than US$22!

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:47 pm

madmarsupial wrote: Group/bulk order?
If anyone is keen to purchase one let me know as I'm happy to organise a bulk purchase
I ordered yesterday. Shapeways have free shipping until 16 Aug - promo code WELCOME8 (may only be for anyone who hasn't purchased from them before).
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Looks good. Any chance of a photo showing the whole setup on your bike including Ye battery etc?

I just want to see how it all works because I don't have a GoPro mount.

E

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Espresso_ wrote:Looks good. Any chance of a photo showing the whole setup on your bike including Ye battery etc?

I just want to see how it all works because I don't have a GoPro mount.

E

I've added a few quick phone snaps to the album.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10246348 ... 2443711075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Battery is on underside of the stem.

I'm also using my prototype 2-in-1 mount that allows for two GoPro mount devices (in this case a camera and the light mount) to be used on the bottom of the K-Edge Garmin mount.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:27 pm

jillybean wrote:
madmarsupial wrote: Group/bulk order?
If anyone is keen to purchase one let me know as I'm happy to organise a bulk purchase
I ordered yesterday. Shapeways have free shipping until 16 Aug - promo code WELCOME8 (may only be for anyone who hasn't purchased from them before).
Thanks for noting that. Worth trying out.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:40 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
I'm also using my prototype 2-in-1 mount that allows for two GoPro mount devices (in this case a camera and the light mount) to be used on the bottom of the K-Edge Garmin mount.
So for someone that just wants to mount the AyUps in a different way to the standard handlebar mount, would I just need a GoPro mount?

I'm basically looking for a solution where the AyUps mount higher than (and maybe forward of) the bars.

E