Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Dr_Mutley

Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Why not just fix the lightset to the bag? U could then put the battery in the bag? I've modified a helmet mount to do just that on my rear saddle bag...ImageImage

Espresso_

Re: Alternative Ay-Up Lighting Mounts?

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Why not just fix the lightset to the bag?
Yeah, could do. That's another good suggestion - thanks.

E

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 am

I'm just working on a mount that will let you use a K-Edge Garmin/GoPro mount.

Part replaces the screw on GoPro mount. Works like the AyUp helmet mount with the C-clamp action (no rubber strap).

Haven't tested it on road yet - need to be sure the clamping action is tight enough.

Sorry - I can't get the img tag to work so you'll have to follow the links to see the photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1024634800 ... 3266919650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://picasaweb.google.com/1024634800 ... 0047379010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://picasaweb.google.com/1024634800 ... 2540205938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://picasaweb.google.com/1024634800 ... 7411556674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 am

madmarsupial wrote:I'm just working on a mount that will let you use a K-Edge Garmin/GoPro mount.
I like!

My better half has a set of Ay-Ups and the only thing stopping me from grabbing a set is the mount. If something like this because available i'd be all over them and it.

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:35 am

Great Idea, looks good !

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Nice. I currently use a cut down helmet mount zip tied to the bottom of a barfly 2.0 but this is WAY neater.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:48 pm

I was chatting with RaceWareDirect and they have an AyUp mount that slots into a GoPro mount, so you use an out front Garmin/GoPro mount to mount your AyUps.
Will see if I can get details as I am trying to get an elegant solution for Garmin+AyUp on my Cervelo A5 Aero bars
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Very clever...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for getting my images up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong!
queequeg wrote:I was chatting with RaceWareDirect and they have an AyUp mount that slots into a GoPro mount, so you use an out front Garmin/GoPro mount to mount your AyUps.
Will see if I can get details as I am trying to get an elegant solution for Garmin+AyUp on my Cervelo A5 Aero bars

I couldn't see it on their website, but a search found a twitter note from them.
https://instagram.com/p/pJYYZBmr5g/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to be an AyUp to GoPro adaptor - something I was going to do next (once I can work out how to get the dissolving PVA support structures to print properly on my 3d printer!).

Ideally I'd like to make 3 designs:
- the one above, K-Edge mount
- one that uses a GoPro mount
- one that has a Garmin 1/4 turn base on it

milkman

Postby milkman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Please keep us posted. I'm keen on a couple for my bikes!

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:45 am

I've made a slightly revised unit to make the C-clip at little tighter.

When I bounced the bike on to the front wheel (lifted wheel about 20cm and dropped) the lights popped out of the clip.

I made a couple of new prototypes, but the first was a bit tight and it broke off the little arms when I clipped the light in. Hopefully the second one is OK. Test riding it tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

The finished product will hopefully be in a stronger and more flexible material, so I can tighten up the clip some more.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Ok - that first design didn't work.

It fell out on a quite heavy bump (descending at 50+kph) and whilst I could tighten the C shape a bit, another issue is that the light can rotate. The clip isn't tight enough and there is nothing to stop rotation - the AyUp helmet mounts grip around the power cable socket as well.

So...back to the drawing board.

Much simpler plan working from the RaceWareDirect idea someone mentioned above.

I made a couple of versions before I got to this smaller one. I even did a 'double adaptor' style just in case you really want to mount two sets of lights or put your GoPro on as well.

Actually grips light well. Having the cable socket go through the hole in the body means no rotation and a bit more safety if the light does come unclipped (hopefully the cable holds it).

I'm going to see if I can get a stronger version made, but I'll ride with this for now.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:38 pm

I'd also appreciate if someone could give me the trick to making the photos display!

If you click on the links you can see them.

They are also in the original gallery (link above).

Thoglette

It's late, I'm tired and it's not even September

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 am

madmarsupial wrote:I'd also appreciate if someone could give me the trick to making the photos display!
Umm, use the IMG tag around images (thing ending in .jpg, .gif or .png) rather than around web pages?

Even if you are going to "drink the google-aid" it can be done like this
and this

Right mouse on the actual image in your cloud thingy and copy the "image address". Or "open the image" and then copy that address.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:22 am

Loving your work. Can't see the images on your latest effort though

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:56 am

Drizt wrote:Loving your work. Can't see the images on your latest effort though
https://picasaweb.google.com/1024634800 ... MountIdeas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:58 am

Maybe a two piece full wrap around clamp to ensure it can't come out. Done up with bolts etc?

Thoglette

Re: It's late, I'm tired and it's not even September

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Thoglette wrote:Even if you are going to "drink the google-aid" it can be done like this
Blahh, google is generating one-time-only links. B :oops: gger. Worked all right last night, cleared the session and it's a fail for me.

See if this lasts any longer
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:20 pm

I am doing something similar with a bit of round pvc pipe glued to an existing mount. No where near as pretty.

You don't have to have a hole for the power port, it can be stuck straight out of the gap you push the light into. so in your case the power port would be pointing straight down to the ground.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:18 pm

It is all still a work in progress, but to do proper testing of a couple of my ideas I need to get a sample that is stronger than my 3d printed copy (PLA and ABS are great, but you can get failures along the lines of construction).

I have uploaded a few designs to a 3d printing service called 'Shapeways'. If you haven't heard of it, they basically act as a printing service for you and offer a lot of options done on much bigger machines. Pretty amazing stuff really!

The designs are listed as 'beta' (still in testing) but I think I've clicked all the right buttons to allow anyone to purchase one.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/Womb ... t_Workshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the postage cost will be more expensive than the actual parts, but if it solves your problem it should be worth it. If the design proves to work well then it might be worthwhile arranging a bulk order to get costs down.

If anyone does buy one I'd love to get some feedback so I can make improvements.

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Nice work. If I order anything from Shapreways in the near future I'll grab these as well (of course I'd then need to order a KEdge mount but being able to mount camera and lights on one mount would be nice.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:00 pm

apsilon wrote:Nice work. If I order anything from Shapreways in the near future I'll grab these as well (of course I'd then need to order a KEdge mount but being able to mount camera and lights on one mount would be nice.
Let me know if you do!

Having a light and a camera at the same time would be good. It can be a pain if you have to ditch one for the other or rearrange everything on the handlebars to fit in something extra (presuming you don't want to go helmet mount).

I'll put up some pictures of the 2-in-1 GoPro mount with lights and camera attached when it arrives.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:02 pm

eeksll wrote:I am doing something similar with a bit of round pvc pipe glued to an existing mount. No where near as pretty.

You don't have to have a hole for the power port, it can be stuck straight out of the gap you push the light into. so in your case the power port would be pointing straight down to the ground.
I found that the light could rotate a bit if the power port wasn't locked in somehow. Not sure I could make the clipping action tight enough to stop any rotation without making it prone to breakage.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:25 pm

madmarsupial wrote:
eeksll wrote:I am doing something similar with a bit of round pvc pipe glued to an existing mount. No where near as pretty.

I found that the light could rotate a bit if the power port wasn't locked in somehow. Not sure I could make the clipping action tight enough to stop any rotation without making it prone to breakage.
so my solution to this is to glue some rubber on the inside. I got my idea from a exposure light bracket which I used in a pinch to mount the ayups because I couldnt find any zipties.

That mount will put the ayup lights vertical (worked in a pinch not ideal for a few reasons). But the light brackets was actuallly too big for the 16mm ayup cross-beam, so I was forced to use some rubber.

incidently the bit of pipe I purchsed for my ghetto solution was in fact 16mm diameter on the inside exactly, at the time I was like "woo hoo what are the chances?" would have been nice for it to be just a tad bigger now. But you could easily design yours to have a bit bigger internal diameter.

note: I am not trying to create a mount for the garmin mount, I just wanted a quicker quick-relase for the lights cause the ayup handlebar mount solution with the rubber is annoyingly fiddly.

I also want to drill a hole in the bottom but i figured there wasn't going to be enough plastic after that.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:48 pm

I was going to ask, why not just use the existing rubber retention strap. I have never had any issues removing/fitting the lights. The bit I don't like is the actual mount itself as it uses zip ties and can slide around a bit on some bars.
On my S5 it is a dirty hack due to the aero bars.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi