Help for an old Repco.

yazman

Help for an old Repco.

Postby yazman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of refurbishing a mid 80's Repco RT Sport as my commuter and have a few questions regarding parts for these:

1: It is running Dia-compe brake calipers and 27"Araya rims. What would be a decent brake pad for these and will other brands (eg shimano) pads fit?

2: It has a 6sp suntour cassette and SR custom crankset. what chain can it use?

3: if I wanted replace the crankset, any recommendations?

All advice (apart from dousing it in petrol and setting it alight!) is appreciated.

il padrone

Re: Help for an old Repco.

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:01 pm

yazman wrote:Hello everyone!
G'day, welcome to the forum.
yazman wrote:1: It is running Dia-compe brake calipers and 27"Araya rims. What would be a decent brake pad for these and will other brands (eg shimano) pads fit?
Any pads should fit, as long as the mount is the same ie. post or bolt-on. Some of these Koolstop salmon pads would stop well.
yazman wrote:2: It has a 6sp suntour cassette and SR custom crankset. what chain can it use?
Any chain will fit. The 9 and 10sp chains are narrower, but only in the side plate widths. Sprocket thckness is always the same. If in doubt get an 8sp chain.
yazman wrote:3: if I wanted replace the crankset, any recommendations?
Lots to choose from. If you want to keep it in period you could try Ebay to find a crankset with a square taper fitting. Most new cranks will have various splined or external BB axles, which will require a new BB. Also have a look at www.thethirdhand.com They have this nice Campy crankset

Have fun redoing the bike
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

yazman

Postby yazman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:51 am

Thanks for the information il padrone, that has made things a lot clearer.

Now to get it back on the road!