Clicking noise while sitting + pedaling

connorbradley4

Clicking noise while sitting + pedaling

Postby connorbradley4 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi all,

Today I was doing my daily commute and noticed a very loud clicking sound while I was riding. No other noticeable effects at the time.

When I got home I did a look over the bike to see if anything was loose, but everything seemed in tact. I pumped up my tyres because I thought they may be the issue, but they weren't. I lubed the chain because I thought it may be this and I hadn't done so in a little while. I took it for another test run and I still heard this clicking. It only happened when I was pedaling while seated. While I was standing I didn't notice a sound.

Any ideas as to what this could be? It doesn't effect me at the moment, but I am worried that it may worsen over time. It has only happened in the last two days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
CB

Duck!
Expert

Re: Clicking noise while sitting + pedaling

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Check the the seat clamp (the assembly that attaches the saddle to the post) bolt/s. Given that it stops when you're off the saddle, there's a really big clue for where to focus your attention.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

connorbradley4

Postby connorbradley4 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Duck! wrote:Check the the seat clamp (the assembly that attaches the saddle to the post) bolt/s. Given that it stops when you're off the saddle, there's a really big clue for where to focus your attention.
Thanks very much, this actually makes sense because I have been having issues with my seat and clamps. I can't believe that I didn't think of this.

I will check this, however, the sound does seem to come from the wheels/gears so I am not exactly sure that it would be the seat. It's a hard sound to describe so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me find a solution...

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 pm

I agree with Duck,

A saddle of mine that makes a repetitive sound from time to time.

Managed to nail it down to where one of the saddle rails slots into the back of the seat mould.

This happens to me maybe twice a year I fix it with a drop or two of chain lube in the offending slot - works a treat.

I'd try this at all points where your saddle rail attaches to the moulding and see if you nail it.

If you think it's the wheels then undo the quick release skewers, be sure the axles are seated properly into thew drop outs and re-tension then test......

It also may be a valve knocking lightly against the guide hole where it passes through the rim, a dab of silicone will deal with that one.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

connorbradley4

Postby connorbradley4 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 pm

open roader wrote:If you think it's the wheels then undo the quick release skewers, be sure the axles are seated properly into thew drop outs and re-tension then test......
I don't have quick release wheels, but I checked wheels when I got home. Seem to be running straight. I do have a small uneven point on the back rim that rubs the brakes occasionally but that's not what is making the sound.

Cheers for the suggestion.

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:56 pm

just pray that its not your knees :wink:
steel is the real deal.

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:55 am

i fixed a rear wheel on a bike i collected recently, put the wheel back on and there was a clicking noise, only when powering the crank, on idle there was no other noise except the freewheel ratchet

looked down the derailleur cage to see the cable was tangled there and rubbing, trimmed it off a bit and pressed in a cable end

a possibilty you could check on yours

piston9

Postby piston9 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:49 pm

Not sure how you went - but I had this and my pedals were ever so slightly loose - and for me the clicking was under power, so a quick tighten fixed it.....
Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

connorbradley4

Postby connorbradley4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:02 pm

piston9 wrote:my pedals were ever so slightly loose
I haven't got it fixed yet.

When you say your pedals, do you mean the actual pedals, like on the end of the crank? Or do you mean the whole crank was a little loose?

piston9

Postby piston9 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm

No - the pedals themselves. I am fortunate to have a pedal spanner (got it to attach my cadence sensor), tightened both of them and all gone...
Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

ajaoz

Postby ajaoz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

I had exactly the same cause as piston9: pedal had worked itself ever so slightly loose. I actually was fooled into replacing my BB86 bottom bracket because after taking off the crank and sticking my fingers into the sealed BB bearings one bearing was smooth and the other was rough (almost like some grit had gotten into the bearings). Problem solved after a tighten of the pedal after greasing the thread. Don't get fooled like me.

Does anybody know why the pedal (for spd-sl) would work itself ever so slightly loose (I seem to remember tightening it properly). I don't believe my crank arm thread is damaged: pedals unscrewed well and tightened up well?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Some of what you said above is ambiguous.
If you answer the following that would help:

how heavy are you?

answer yes for each of the following where the noise occurs:
- riding while standing and not pedaling :
with chain on small chainring, then chain on large chainring (make sure you are not cross chaining)
- riding while standing and pedaling :
as above
- riding while sitting and not pedaling :
as above
- riding while sitting and pedaling :
as above

as advised, ensure your saddle is attached to the seat post firmly

then I'd advise to loosen your seat post from the seat tube, take it out, clean it of all lubes and powders, reapply appropriate grease and tighten. a dry seat post in a dry seat tube can creak.

then loosen the headset and retighten (presuming you know how or can google).
loose headsets are notorious for generating noise that sounds like it is coming from around the bottom bracket, and headsets tend to loosen sooner than other components.

if the clicking still occurs, check the frame for cracks around the bottom bracket, seat stays, and chain stays.

if nothing, loosen, re-lube, and tighten the chainrings, the cranks to the axle, and the pedals to the cranks.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm getting an intermittent clicking noise too, on my alloy Giant Contend. Only since I got the new carbon wheels installed, and it seems to be mainly when I'm at a higher cadence, especially when pedalling hard, but lazily pressing down rather than pedalling in smooth circles.

I think it happens in either the 50 or 34. The sound definitely sounds like it's coming from low in the bike, not higher up like the seat area. No obvious cracks in the welds around any joints.

Weather permitting I'll try and do some repeatable testing on tomorrow's commute.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

PA

Postby PA » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 pm

I had a similar noise, turned out to be some rear spokes were not tight.
Mouse magnet

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm

PA wrote:I had a similar noise, turned out to be some rear spokes were not tight.
Do you mean your spokes only made a clicking noise when you pedaled?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Mububban wrote:I'm getting an intermittent clicking noise too, on my alloy Giant Contend. Only since I got the new carbon wheels installed, and it seems to be mainly when I'm at a higher cadence, especially when pedalling hard, but lazily pressing down rather than pedalling in smooth circles
The easiest way to exclude the new wheels as the source is to put your old wheels back on, or a mate's.

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 pm

CKinnard wrote:
PA wrote:I had a similar noise, turned out to be some rear spokes were not tight.
Do you mean your spokes only made a clicking noise when you pedaled?
Yes.
Mouse magnet

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:59 pm

I recall something similar. A trip to my physiotherapist fixed it. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 am

Garmin magnets. When you're asleep at night and you hear the sound of hooves galloping past, think of zebras. :lol:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.