*26" frame query"

porkupine

*26" frame query"

Postby porkupine » Thu May 14, 2015 10:56 am

Hi All,

Following on from my flat bar shifter problems, now i'm throwing a spanner in the works by looking at a completely NEW 26" MTB stumpjumper frame for a more comfortable ride.

Questions i have are as follows:

a) anything different besides wheels and "MTB gearing" that i need to look out for?
b) assuming no shocks etc - can / would i be able to use a cyclocross/standard road fork ?
c) could i use a road groupset with say corresponding flat bar shifters or would that completely NOT work on those 26" / 29" wheels?

thanks in advance!

eeksll

Re: *26" frame query"

Postby eeksll » Thu May 14, 2015 12:36 pm

a) i have been able to fit a 700c wheel on a 26 inch mtb frame. 700x28c is very similar in size to a 26inch 2 inch tyre.
as duck said in the previous post, the cassette is the same, so you don't NEED MTB gearing specifically, you just have to make sure the derilleur and the shifter work together properly.

b) i think most road forks are lower and won't take a fat tyre, not sure about the cyclocross fork. If your not using disc brakes then you have to make sure your fork brake tabs are the correct height for your wheel.

c) yes you can, as mentioned above, the wheels don't affect the groupset. the one thing you may need to consider, is if you have a wide ranging cassette you may need to get a derailleur with a longer cage.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Forks may be a major problem - a softtail MTB frame will expect a "suspension corrected" (read longer) front fork. the BB may also be "special".

Second, comfort is much more easily gained by wider tyres - 32mm or larger. Plus, if sitting upright, an appropriate (sprung) saddle that fits you.

Thirdly, Most people turn the suspension OFF when on road - it wastes energy.

Fourthly, building a bike from new, retail components is usually a rather expensive way to do it. Usually the path of last resort.

Finally, what are you currently riding? Modern race bike on skinny tyres?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

porkupine

Postby porkupine » Thu May 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks for your advice!

wierd question to throw in the mix :

are mtb cassettes compatible with road wheels? :D
and would the slx rear mech be quite similar (except for pull) with say a standard ultegra rear mech?

just trying to salvage anything and everything i can from a mix and match style...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Fitting a road crank on a MTB frame may be problematic due to the wider chainstays & bigger rings probably wanting to occupy the same airspace.

Road & MTB cassettes & hubs use the same interface, excpet for extremes such as 7 & 11-sp.

SLX is the MTB equivalent of 105. MTB 10-sp. shifters & derailleurs use a unique leverage ratio so can only be used -and mixed - in their own little family - Deore, SLX, Deore XT & XTR. 7, 8, 9-sp. road & MTB, plus road 10-sp all work on the same leverage, so there's a lot of flexibility for mixing up from them.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 14, 2015 4:09 pm

porkupine wrote:Hi All,

Following on from my flat bar shifter problems, now i'm throwing a spanner in the works by looking at a completely NEW 26" MTB stumpjumper frame for a more comfortable ride.

Questions i have are as follows:

a) anything different besides wheels and "MTB gearing" that i need to look out for?
b) assuming no shocks etc - can / would i be able to use a cyclocross/standard road fork ?
c) could i use a road groupset with say corresponding flat bar shifters or would that completely NOT work on those 26" / 29" wheels?

thanks in advance!
What are you trying to acheive? If you are going to buy a new frame, why choose that one and attempt such a mishmash of components?
Others may be able to suggest better ways to achieve your ends
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat May 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Just a question for the OP are you actually buying a brand new frame or have you already bought it? It just seems an odd way to go about getting a flat bar 700c set up, I'm sure there would be more suitable frames out there for what you are trying to achieve. I usually build my MTB's and road bikes from scratch as there are some nice unique frame/sets available, but a flat bar is a bit of a different story.
No signature