DI2 Front Derailleur Adjustment issues

Newcastle Dave

DI2 Front Derailleur Adjustment issues

Postby Newcastle Dave » Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 am

I have the cell omeo 2 with Simano Ultegra DI2 (11sp). The bike has around 9000 km on it now, and apart from a failed battery (replaced under warranty, no questions asked) I have had no real problems. I have had the bike services once by a LBS around 10 months ago.

Over the last couple of days I noticed changing on the front (mainly from big ring to small) didnt always happen smoothly. Last night I found it would only change after one or two attempts (I could hear the servo moving OK).

So when I got back (unfortunately I am away from work and staying in a motel room with only limited tools), I thought "It must just need adjustment". So I googled how to do it, watched a youtube video and had a go. The steps I did were

1) Check the height (all good - about 2 mm above big ring teeth)
2) Check angle (all good)
3) Set cage to be just about touching inside of chain when on small ring
4) Swap to Big ring (with difficulty) - adjust so cage just about touching outside of chain

It still doesnt want to change - its almost like the servo is moving enough distance

any ideas ? (it i spossible that I am just a klutz and havent adjusted it correctly)

jules21

Re: DI2 Front Derailleur Adjustment issues

Postby jules21 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 am

measure chain length. if greater than 1/16" stretch, replace chain. a worn chain will compromise shift quality and also wear down your chainring.

Duck!
Expert

Re: DI2 Front Derailleur Adjustment issues

Postby Duck! » Fri May 29, 2015 10:47 am

There may be a problem with the little gears inside the servo. Is it noisier than normal? Any crunchiness? Best bet if you don't have a SM-PCE1 interface box is to take it to your LBS for a system diagnostic test. That should reveal if there's a problem with the derailleur.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.