FSA Neo Pro BB Compatibility

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 pm

I purchased a set of FSA Neo Pro cranks(24mm axle, NBD) and was originally planning to use it with a 6700 Hollowtech II BB. However, something seems off here.

About 10mm of the spines section sticks out. The splines are 13mm deep. When I tighten the left crank on, it loads the BB bearings sideways so much that it doesn't rotate freely.

The Shimano cups are ~11mm wide, so with the 68mm BB shell, the total width is ~90mm. The axle up to the start of the splines is also 90mm, so it should work, but it seems like the total BB width is about 3mm too wide.

It seems FSA has a variety of BBs, which have different widths. The cranks didn't come with a BB, and I can't seem to find which BB is correct for these cranks. Does anyone know which I need?

From FSA's BB chart, the BB-8200, BB-8681, and BB-6200(is this one only for alloy cranks?) are the correct ones for the NBD cranks. Do all these work for me?

EDIT: will I also need a pre 09 BB? Something like the gold cup BB-8681? Not sure how old my cranks are, but it says 2006 over the world champ stripes.

And importantly, anyone got one to suit, that they're not using anymore?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Duck!
Expert

Re: FSA Neo Pro BB Compatibility

Postby Duck! » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Have you checked the spindle is fully seated in the RH bearing? It may need a bit of persuasion to get it that last few mm home.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:48 pm

It's a bit hard to tell with these cranks since they cover the BB cups, but it does look like the right crank covered the same amount of BB cup as the left crank. Plus, when tightening on the left crank, I would imagine the crank bolt would've pulled in the right crank all the way in.

Do FSA/Vision cranks normally work with Shimano BBs, and vice versa?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Theoretically they both use 24mm spindles & 90mm total BB width so should be compatible, but I have found some variation in tolerance that makes for an exceptionally tight fit in some combinations.

The crank bolt may pull the crank in, but due to the preloading effect there is a high risk of damaging the bearings in the process.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 pm

This picture shows that some of the FSA BB cups are of different thicknesses, particularly the BB-8200 and BB-8681, which is probably 2mm thinner than the Shimano BB cup.

The original BB that came with the Neo Pro cranks is only stated as a ceramic BB. Which may possibly the BB-8200, especially with the red cups.

However, I will double check if I had the right crank arm all the way in. Will need to get the mallet out.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Cut the frame bb shell, 1.5mm on each side :)

Fabricio_RC

Postby Fabricio_RC » Tue May 03, 2016 2:40 am

First of all cheers from Rio de Janeiro Brazil. :D
I know this is an old topic, but I need some help on the other side of the world. :wink:
I recently bought a triple carbon FSA SLK Megaexo, not the Light model, without the bottom bracket, and then started a saga to discover what I've to use with the crankset and where to buy. Discovered that officialy I need to use a BB-8000, in my case with an italian thread because of my Pinarello. But find it is like see an unicorn now a days. :shock:

So, researching on the web about compatibility, I arrived here because of this picture with different bottom brackets.
And thinking about what everyone wrote I would like to ask if, in my case, can I use a Shimano, a FSA BB-8200 or an FSA BB-8621 with the adequate spacer?

I thought about it because If my axle is longer that what is needed to use this 3 options, using a proper spacer the cups will stay at the original position and I won't have problems with the bearings been compressed neither with the adequate other arm fixing.

Can I or not?
Thank you for any help.

Ps.: Sorry any english mistake.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 03, 2016 1:38 pm

With Mega-exo & similar cranks, the bottom bracket is the same for both double and triple-ring cranks. To space the crank out correctly there needs to be a spacer on the crank spindle on each side of the bottom bracket. These should be supplied with the crank. I wouldn't recommend trying a Shimano bottom bracket with the FSA crank; as I noted previously despite both being supposedly 24mm spindles, there is variation in the exact tolerance, so the fit isn't great. Plus as illustrated above there is variation in the total width, but it's a bit less of a problem with the triple because you have a bit of play room with the longer spindle to fine-tune the necessary spacers.

Fabricio_RC

Postby Fabricio_RC » Thu May 05, 2016 7:41 am

Thank you for the support, Duck.
I found an old pdf that shows these spacers that you've mentioned. According to it I'll need 2.5mm on each side.

Unfortunatelly the old owner don't know where this spacers are or even if they were used. But he will send me the internal aluminium piece that every BB-8000 uses, different from the others FSA's bottom brackets.

This can be used with another FSA BB? BB-8261 for example.
Would help?

As I noticed, the problem using a Shimano BB or another FSA BB than what was projected to work with the SL-K crankset, BB-8000 in this case, is that the bearing used to be overloaded "blowing up", and the left arm fixing been destroyed. All of this because they are shorter than the official BB that have to be used. This is why I'm asking if the alluminium internal tube, that prevents this excessive compression on the BB-8000 would help.

Besides this, I'll need to use some extra crank spacers, found on wheelsmfg's website, to "complete" the same lenght, because of the different cup sizes between a BB-8000 and a BB-8261 or BB-8200 or Shimano.

My problem is the oposite from Quang, because while he have to use shorter cups than shimano uses, I need a bigger than Shimano. Without forgetting that my crankset have a longer axle than his crankset.

If I decided to use another BB than what's officialy informed, an FSA model would be better than a Shimano because of the axle diameter tolerance, or, in this case, anyone will do the same if I use the appropriate quantity of spacers to fill the space?

Fabricio_RC

Postby Fabricio_RC » Thu May 05, 2016 9:00 am

I wrote something wrong about one bb code mentioned before, BB-8261 is in fact BB-8681. Sorry. :oops:

BB-8200 and BB-8681 share almost the same parts, having the same length, same cups, same seals, but with different bearings. Ceramic balls on BB-8200 and steel on BB-8681.
http://www.funbike.at/config/funbike/pr ... zteile.pdf

The alluminium cup mentioned before is shown in this picture. Piece number 3.

And here, with almost all mega exo bottom brackets
http://www.stilen.com/bike_stuff/MegaEx ... 0820-1.pdf

Here is shown the BB-8000 instalation, and his parts, with a triple crankset.
http://www.stilen.com/bike_stuff/MegaEx ... 0820-1.pdf

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Looking at those diagrams, it appears with the triple you need two 5mm spacers fitted to the spindle, one on each side of the bottom bracket, between the bearing units and the crank arms.