New wheels and bike now pulling right

nard dog

New wheels and bike now pulling right

Postby nard dog » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Hey all, Im quite new to the bike tinkering thing so apologies if this is a stupid or thrashed out question.

I recently bought a set of "Campangolo Scirocco" wheels to replace the stock ones that came with my Giant Defy. I installed a new cassette and threw them on and all seemed well. However i noticed that when I take my hands off the bars the bike pulls to the right.

I threw the old wheels back on and it rides straight and then tried the new front wheel with the old back wheel and it was fine. The back wheel looks fine to the eye when its spinning.

Is there likely an issue with the back wheel or is this normal for this type of wheel or have i possibly just done something stupid when installing the wheel or cassette?

Cheers

Duck!
Expert

Re: New wheels and bike now pulling right

Postby Duck! » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Check the little conical springs on your quick release skewers. The narrow end point inward & butt up against the axle ends, while the wide end seats against the skewer head & nut. If they're around the wrong way & sitting over the end of the axle, they'll prevent the wheel seating in the dropout properly & throw the alignment out.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nard dog

Postby nard dog » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up I double checked the springs and they seem to be on the correct way.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:50 am

Tight bearing? The budget end of the Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheel family is notorious for having sub-par wheel bearings straight out of the box...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Is the rear wheel centred correctly? Take the wheel out and put it back in. Pull it backwards and check with your eyes that the gap at the front is even between the chainstays on each side. Clamp it and then check how it sits between the brake blocks.
Some wheels just don't like to sit nicely in the frame and are not as self-centring as they should be. Centre it manually checking all the gaps are equal between the tyre and frame.