lube lube lube

bemper

Type of Chain Lubricants (Polls)

Postby bemper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:51 am

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys could help me figure out the different bike lubricants out there, so far after reading the forum, I gather some of these informations (specifically for road bikes):

Types:
- Wet lube
- Dry lube
- Wax lube

Brands:
- Rock and Roll Lube (Red (Absolute Dry), Gold and Blue (Extreme))
- Prolink Gold Lube
- Squirt Lube
- Purple Extreme
- Pedros Ice Wax
- Inox Wax

The questions for the day is
- Pros and cons for the different type of lube?

I also included a poll to figure out the preference for using lubricant particularly for commuting with road bikes (not MTB - sorry).

Thanks,
Bemper

gclark8

Re: Type of Chain Lubricants (Polls)

Postby gclark8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:59 am

Inox is not a wax, it is lanolin from wool processing.

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail. ... PLICATIONS
Last edited by gclark8 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
George.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:30 am

I use Squirt the pros are a completely clean drivetrain along with no noise plus after starting out with a new chain the stretch hasn't even got to the point of allowing the chain stretch gauge to register. Having said that I am a smooth shifter so chain stretch is a hard one to gauge because I believe that to be more my doing than the lube doing it's job. It doesn't allow grit into the rollers creating a grinding paste so chain wear is minimal plus the lube sheds the old lube along with any gremlins hence why you have such a clean drivetrain. In water you need to apply the lube after every ride so that is a draw back but only a small price to pay.

This feed back is for MTB only but the product can be used on a roadie but the results may well be different due to the speeds you guys travel at and distance in one ride.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:46 am

I don't think you'll find the best lube for you with a poll. Most people would not have tried many lubes, but you are giving them equal weighting. If you really want to find the best one for you, buy a different lube each time and try them for yourself. They are cheap after all.

In the last few years I've tried:

Rock 'n' Roll Extreme (big bottle of it)
Finish Line Wet
Shimano Wet
Muck Off Wet

I wouldn't say I've tried all the lubes in all conditions.

I wouldn't bother with Rock 'n' Roll again. I don't think it performs well off road. It doesn't appear to shed well so allows the chain to get gritty in wet, sandy conditions.

Finish Line Wet is very good in muddy conditions as it is fairly thick. I'd use it again.

Shimano Wet is probably good on the road but it seemed a bit thin for mud. I thought it was good quality but probably wouldn't buy it again at this stage.

Currently using Muck Off Wet. Really haven't tried it long enough yet (only a few months). It is also very thin but seems to dry out a bit like Rock 'n' Roll, but I believe it is an oil base unlike Rock 'n' Roll which is wax based. No complaints so far.

If you are on the road and mainly dry then get anything. If, however you are going off road especially in muddy conditions, you are probably better off with an oil based wet type lube as they shed and take the mud with them.
Last edited by Nobody on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 am

I've been using tri-flow, a wet ptfe based lube. not on the list.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 pm

Recently shifted from RnR to Purple Extreme, I'm sold.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Other

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 pm

I voted incorrectly. Can I edit my vote?

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:56 pm

I love my RnR Gold Lube for roadie. Makes it so silky and smooth.

PiCO

Postby PiCO » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Purple extreme;

Seen some rave reviews, best place to buy?

PiCO

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Try Phantom cycles online PiCO.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 pm

+1 for the Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube
Free your mind and your legs will follow

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Religiously
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

bemper

Postby bemper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:13 pm

gclark8 wrote:Inox is not a wax, it is lanolin from wool processing.

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail. ... PLICATIONS
Hi gclark8,

Today, I went to my local LBS and bunnings to check on this Inox lube you mentioned previously on my other thread. My LBS recommended me to use this lube on for everything else other than chain due to viscocity (not sure whether it is too high / too low).

I also noticed, my LBS carry 2 types of Inox:

MX 4 - with Lanolin (supposedly better)
http://www.inoxed.com/MX4.htm

MX 3 - what you recommended
http://www.inoxed.com/mx3.htm

According to that website:
What are the areas that LANOX would be preferred over INOX.
For example LANOX is more suitable in certain marine applications such as Anchors, Chains & Shackle Bolts and in the protection of Outboard & Inboard Motors. INOX would be best used in areas such as Marine Radios, Sail Tracks (non-staining) and the protection of stainless & aluminum fittings ( good for polishing stainless steel, aluminum & fiberglass). For use in Firearms, LANOX is best used for long term storages purposes whereas INOX has better applications for the day to day cleaning and lubrication (anti-static) so it doesn't attract dirt and helps clean barrel residues easier.
So,looks like MX4 would be superior than MX3 especially for wet riding, but I couldn't find it in Bunnings. Anyone has any idea where I can find them? Buying from LBS seems to be a higher price than bunnings (for MX3), Bunnings sells them for around $10, whereas LBS was selling it around $20 mark.

*edited*

Actually never mind: I may have found a retailer for it:

http://www.inox-mx3.com/retail_results. ... A&cboTown=
Last edited by bemper on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bemper

Postby bemper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Nobody wrote:I don't think you'll find the best lube for you with a poll. Most people would not have tried many lubes, but you are giving them equal weighting. If you really want to find the best one for you, buy a different lube each time and try them for yourself. They are cheap after all.
I think it's a start for a newbie to figure out what majority uses and start off from there. I wouldn't go out shopping for 4 lubricants at a time and try them one by one, especially, I don't even know how to lubricate a chain just yet (was browsing youtube for tutorial - pretty much get the idea now).

But, thank you for your post tho. 4 different types of lubes with short reviews on them. Exactly what I'm trying to achieve with this thread.
Nobody wrote:If, however you are going off road especially in muddy conditions, you are probably better off with an oil based wet type lube as they shed and take the mud with them.
I think I specified preferred lubricant for road bikes, hence, no off road and muddy conditions. Pretty much focussing on weekend/leisure rides and/or city commuting on bike path. But, of course, interesting to know that some lubricants works better off-road. So, definitely, someone could use this information.

bemper

Postby bemper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Religiously
Are you serious? I think I don't need to mention that it has been told by multiple threads, bad for your bike :) I think link from bicycletutor.com

bemper

Postby bemper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Recently shifted from RnR to Purple Extreme, I'm sold.

Shaun
Hi Shaun,

Can you tell me why you moved from RnR (gold or other) to Purple Extreme? Purple Extreme is darn expensive (twice as much from phantomcycles). So I have to justify to use it.

What sort of cycling style are you?

Thanks

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 pm

+1 to tri-flow, -1000000000 to pedros road rage.

I used to use r'n'r extreme for off-road, but IME it's possible to do a better job for less money with a separate degreaser and lube.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 pm

bemper wrote:Hi Shaun,

Can you tell me why you moved from RnR (gold or other) to Purple Extreme? Purple Extreme is darn expensive (twice as much from phantomcycles). So I have to justify to use it.

Thanks
G'Day Bemper.

To start with, tightar5e syndrome. I was out of RnR with a commuter service approaching and couldn't find any cheap online. There was another thread on chainlube active at the time in which il padrone waxed lyrical about this stuff. Initially the high cost deterred me until a few PMs went back and forth, IP is a high mileage rider who tours, I was happy to go with it on his recommendation and many 00's of kms later I'm happy to recommend in turn.

I do a bit of everything...
2009 Kona Dew Drop is me commuter, used nearly every day for the trip to work and general sodding about down the shops and such.
2009 Cannondale Six C6 is the fast road bike.
2005 Giant hardtail MTB for the dirty times.

So far, the only bike that doesn't have a few hundred kms with Purple Extreme is the MTB, down to lack of opportunity :( The Kona has the highest mileage so far at well over 500 and is still clean and quiet.
Doesn't seem to be as much jockey wheel encrustation either. :D

Cheers
Shaun

Come on Pete, jump in and help me convince the bloke. :D
S
London Boy 29/12/2011

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am

Penrite HPR5 or HPR30. Soak chain in 50/50 oil and petrol. Let drip dry, wipe lightly with rag.
The bike industry has sucked you all in.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 am

bemper wrote:
Are you serious? I think I don't need to mention that it has been told by multiple threads, bad for your bike :) I think link from bicycletutor.com
I think he's stirring the s**t ;)
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

MiG

Postby MiG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Robdog wrote:I think he's stirring the s**t ;)
Maybe not, WD40 always feels like it's doing a good job in the first hour after you apply it.
I think WD40 might be why there are so many squeaking chains out on the road. I even saw a decent road bike on the velodrome with a squeaking chain. Shame on you.

I use Lanotec Lanolin spray lube. Can't say I've done any tests to compare it to other stuff but it seems to work. Only a bit sticky.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:14 pm

+1

Great as a quick and easy chain degreaser, I've used it a few times instead of kero to clean off the lube and gunk without stripping the chain off :wink: . Then just make sure you let the WD 40 evaporate off, or wash it off with some water.

:shock: :? Oh, this is the chain lubrication thread :oops:

Man you'd have to be crazy!! :mrgreen: :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
bemper wrote:Hi Shaun,

Thanks
G'Day Bemper......

So far, the only bike that doesn't have a few hundred kms with Purple Extreme is the MTB, down to lack of opportunity :( The Kona has the highest mileage so far at well over 500 and is still clean and quiet.
Doesn't seem to be as much jockey wheel encrustation either. :D

Cheers
Shaun

Come on Pete, jump in and help me convince the bloke. :D
S
Yep, that Purple Extreme costs a few bucks, but now having done around 2000 kms on two bikes using it I can say it's the best lube I've used. No crud build-up, the chain has stayed clean and dry of black lube. The lube has stayed on in some wet condtions and doesn't gather lots of dust or dirt on gravel roads. After ~ 4 months I have used about 1/4 of a bottle so I'm happy with spending $14 more per year than other lubes to keep my chains like this.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

I use RnR gold. It's alright, don't see why people bow down to it though. I still get crud build up on the jockey wheels.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird