Rear cassette rubbing - new campy rims

jakekg1801

Rear cassette rubbing - new campy rims

Postby jakekg1801 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Hey there, I come to you with another query. I recently replaced the rims on my road bike with Campagnolo Scirocco wheelset. However as the picture shows the small wheel on the rear cassette appears to be rubbing or just very close to the frame and as a result the chain will not run on that wheel. so i have the impression it does not fit and the rims are the problem but is there any way I should approach this or send the rims back. My LBS is shut for a few weeks unfortunately. I run campy chorus and its ) a 10spd cassette.Image

eeksll

Re: Rear cassette rubbing - new campy rims

Postby eeksll » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 pm

how many teeth on the smallest sprocket?

jakekg1801

Postby jakekg1801 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:36 pm

eeksll wrote:how many teeth on the smallest sprocket?
The smallest sprocket has 13 teeth

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Was your frame 9 speed before you put 10 speed wheel?
Or is there a spacer inside the cassette, if so then remove it and put the cassette back on to see if there`s clearance.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

jakekg1801

Postby jakekg1801 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:57 pm

I don't know exactly what the old owner of the frame had on it but when i built it last year I had the same cassette on a pair of ambrosio ws23's which were stuffed so figured this would go on the same. Thanks yeah I could give that a go

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Have you actually tried it?

The chain doesn't need to run between the cog and the chain stay, what matters for chain clearance is the distance between the cog and the seat stay. I have a couple of older bikes where the cogs are similarly very close to the chain stay. If it doesn't actually rub then it is not a problem, however a smaller cog would give you a bit more clearance.

You say that you have used that cassette on a previous wheel presumably without issue. (note that a rim is only part of a wheel and the rim is not involved with this problem). The implication is that the cassette now sits further outboard on this hub, than it did on the other hub. Whilst it is possible that there are differences between manufacturers they are normally so close that there is often no requirement to even adjust the gears when you change wheels. It doesn't look wildly unusual though. I presume that if there is a spacer behind the cassette on this hub, that you also used it on the other hub. You could simulate the effect of moving the drive side locknut out a bit further by putting a washer between it and the frame to give you a bit more clearance. If that works then you might need to work out how to get it on the other side of the locknut to make it more permanent.

Cheers,

Cameron