My left foot keeps unclipping

Rock84

My left foot keeps unclipping

Postby Rock84 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 am

I've got a set of BBB SPD pedals (Unsure of exact model), these are my first set of clipless so I'm not sure what could be causing this.

But quite often when I make a left turn, while pivoting my body and rotating my left foot (toe out), my left foot will unclip. This doesn't happen on my right side while turning right. I've checked that both pedals are set to exactly the same tension, in fact the left pedal was slightly tighter when I first checked. Is this a common occurrence, or could it just be that my left turn technique is different from my right turn technique? This is on a mountain bike btw.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

BenGr

Re: My left foot keeps unclipping

Postby BenGr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:02 pm

Check that your left cleat is straight, it could be already at the edge of the float so a slight movement would unclip. Other than this just up the tension, unless they're too hard to unclip normally.

Duck!
Expert

Re: My left foot keeps unclipping

Postby Duck! » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:12 pm

BenGr wrote:Check that your left cleat is straight...
No, check that is appropriately aligned for your foot. Most people's feet point slightly toe-out to some extent, and often slightly different on each side. The cleats should be aligned so your feet sit on the pedals at their natural angle that allows the knees to track straight.

Sounds like you might need slightly more angle on the cleat, as your foot wants to rotate out more than the cleat is allowing in the float range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.