Trick for cleaning your cassette

Lynton

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby Lynton » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:16 am

I have found over the years that time and effort cleaning and maintaining your drive train pays off in longevity of your components. Any time a chain has any squeaking noises coming from it is an indicator of metal surfaces rubbing together with no oil and wear is occurring. The more you ride and the more power you have the greater the wear that is occurring. Similarly a gritty cassette is just as bad as a dry chain as the oil is unable to prevent wear when the surfaces have a coating of grit acting as an abrasive.
Personally at least once a week I give the cassette a clean with a rag like in the video and clean and oil the chain. I don't use degreaser on the rag but I suppose because I do it so regularly I don't need to. I do this more regularly if riding conditions dictate such as after wet rides. Then usually once a month I remove the cassette and give it a good clean in degreaser during which time I check it for wear as well as check the chain for wear and clean the jockey wheels on the dérailleur. My quick clean and oil of the chain and cassette takes about 10 minutes to do, the big clean takes about 20-30, time well spent protecting expensive components.
The proof is in the pudding, I got over 50,000 km out of a dura ace 9 speed cassette and my current campag record groupset has 5500km with no sign of wear on the chain or cassette. Note that both those cassettes have titanium sprockets which many criticise for a lack of longevity yet I find they last well if cared for properly.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:13 am

It's strange when you've been doing something for ages that you thought everyone already did, this being one of the cases. It's a great little tip for peeps that don't do it to help make for the shiny.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:38 pm

marty_one wrote:For me the easiest thing is buy the cheap pressure packs of degreaser from Repco/Autobahn use the entire can spraying it on the casette while running the chain through backwards and then hosing it all off. The using a small amount of degreaser with a chain scrubbing tool gets everything nice and shiny before applying new lubrication.
Haha... That's what I do :D :D $2.00 a can :arrow: hold the button down till its' empty :!:

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm

OMGosh... Some of you guys are way too aggro/sensitive about a bike being clean/dirty...
How about we quit the melodrama and get onto the business of keeping your bike clean, lubed and running at it's best with zero opinions, melodrama or hyperbole!?!?!?!?!?
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 am

Have a look at the date, last post before yours was Sep 2016 so can assume that most of the posters ‘got over it’.
Cycling is in my BNA