Trick for cleaning your cassette

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 am

I didn't mean to start world war III, it's just one of those topics, and I can think of several others, where every time someone asks or writes about it earnestly they get half a dozen replies telling them they shouldn't be doing what they're asking/talking about because "I never do". It's like you've had an epiphany about something and everyone else is mad because they haven't seen the light. Bit of an internet phenomenon and not limited to discussions about bicycles either.

We have a bit of a joke in our bunch when people turn up on a dirty bike. It's light-hearted argy-bargy. But the guys who usually have a squeaky clean bike cop it worse if there is so much as a spot on the frame. We all know guys who have a 'rainy day' bike and break out in a cold sweat if it looks like rain when they're out on the good bike. Then there's always the guy who is like Pig-Pen out of Peanuts, followed around by a cloud of dust.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
marty_one
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby marty_one » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:06 pm

For me the easiest thing is buy the cheap pressure packs of degreaser from Repco/Autobahn use the entire can spraying it on the casette while running the chain through backwards and then hosing it all off. The using a small amount of degreaser with a chain scrubbing tool gets everything nice and shiny before applying new lubrication.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
My Journey to Triathlon - Focusing more on cycling (no time for anything else).

Dreams V Reallity
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:01 pm
Location: Currently; Darwin Area.

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 pm

Isn't the topic about cleaning?
Whatever. I once went for a long ride with a friend who had a shiny bike. not brand new, but looked it.
His method was to get home ''early" on Sunday and spend a half to full hour cleaning. Including the spoke nipples behind the brake rotors (motorbike). I just looked at him and said, "That's a half hour more fun I have each sunday than you do." I said it nicely, to his face, as part of our groups discussion, and he was not offended. He enjoyed keeping his pride and joy shiny, I enjoy keeping my pride and joys exhaust hot.
I still have that same bike, She's now 35 years old.
D V R
Still Dreaming.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:31 am

Yes the topic is about how to clean, not whether or not you should clean, and that is my point.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 am

silentC wrote:Then there's always the guy who is like Pig-Pen out of Peanuts, followed around by a cloud of dust.

Who has a silent drive train, well lubed who knows his bike is filthy. But the legs do the talkin.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

human909
Posts: 8914
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 am

ValleyForge wrote:
silentC wrote:Then there's always the guy who is like Pig-Pen out of Peanuts, followed around by a cloud of dust.

Who has a silent drive train, well lubed who knows his bike is filthy. But the legs do the talkin.


Exactly. And while some people clean out of their love of it. Some people do it because they think the bike will be damaged if it isn't done. Which is why spreading the message of the lack of need of spotless cleaning is important.

After all this forum is the "Shed" not the "Showroom".

That said I still get "nice" bike comments from random cyclists despite my bikes being 17 and 25 years old and uncleaned! Locally its because my bikes are decent quality bikes not the cheapy hipster fair. On Beach Road in Lycra it is BECAUSE my bike is 25 years old! :mrgreen:

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Some people do it because they think the bike will be damaged if it isn't done. Which is why spreading the message of the lack of need of spotless cleaning is important.

Ah so you are not just trying to demonstrate the level of zen you have achieved, you are actually doing a community service. Well why didn't you say so? Mustn't have people needlessly polishing their machines when they could be riding them. Never mind that they enjoy it, they are perpetuating a practice that offends human(ity)!

BTW VF, Pig Pen in our bunch has to be reminded to lube his chain too. But he is a "let the legs do the talkin'" kind of guy, which makes it all the more fun to beat him in the sprints :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Jash Rider
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:12 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby Jash Rider » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

human909 wrote:
Jash Rider wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Time to fess up, how many others remove the cassette, dismantle it to clean each cog & spacer before putting it all back together.


Is there any other way?

Lube appropriately so you don't get gunk building up.

Jash Rider wrote:My is bike is 8 years old and on a Sunday ride it always looks the newest. It honestly disgusts me when you see people riding an expensive bike and there's sludge on the chain, and tar and road grime all over the frame that's been there since their first ride.

Disgusts you? :roll: I suppose you have a right to your own opinion/attitude. But to most people a bicycle is not a show pony. I have bikes of ages 25, 17, 8, 4. I use my 25 year old road bike the most. :mrgreen:

(My drive train stays clean due to my previously mention lubing regime. The frame certainly has plenty of road spatter all over it. My bike is there to be used now for the show room.)


Yeah, you missed the last point of my post that helps to clarify why it disgusts me. When people spend thousands on a bike and then fail to do even the most basic of maintenance to keep it running smoothly and not sounding like it's some type of medieval torture instrument, then yeah, it disgusts me.

If cycling is your hobby there's absolutely no excuse for having a chain that is piled up with gunk and squeaks like a chipmunk. One hour a month can take care of a bike to make it run properly and smoothly. It's not a big task.

human909
Posts: 8914
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 pm

Jash Rider wrote:If cycling is your hobby there's absolutely no excuse for having a chain that is piled up with gunk and squeaks like a chipmunk. One hour a month can take care of a bike to make it run properly and smoothly. It's not a big task.

Why does anybody need an excuse? Just like you don't need an excuse for having a clean bike.... For most people who ride bicycles it isn't a hobby. I wouldn't describe riding my bicycle as a hobby any more than walking or driving a car is a hobby for me.

My sister rides 7 days a week and doesn't service her bike anymore than say once every 6 months. My 69 year old mother rides several times a week and similarly doesn't service her bike anything like once a month. Oh and both their bikes cost over a grand, my sister's over 2 grand.

(Personally I oil my chain less than once a month for sure. No gunk, but yeah some squeaks if most of the oil has been washed off. So I put a bit more on... No biggie...)

silentC wrote:Ah so you are not just trying to demonstrate the level of zen you have achieved

I don't think I've achieved any level of Zen. I'm not trying to anyway.

Jash Rider
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:12 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby Jash Rider » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:43 am

human909 wrote:
Jash Rider wrote:If cycling is your hobby there's absolutely no excuse for having a chain that is piled up with gunk and squeaks like a chipmunk. One hour a month can take care of a bike to make it run properly and smoothly. It's not a big task.

Why does anybody need an excuse? Just like you don't need an excuse for having a clean bike.... For most people who ride bicycles it isn't a hobby. I wouldn't describe riding my bicycle as a hobby any more than walking or driving a car is a hobby for me.

My sister rides 7 days a week and doesn't service her bike anymore than say once every 6 months. My 69 year old mother rides several times a week and similarly doesn't service her bike anything like once a month. Oh and both their bikes cost over a grand, my sister's over 2 grand.

(Personally I oil my chain less than once a month for sure. No gunk, but yeah some squeaks if most of the oil has been washed off. So I put a bit more on... No biggie...)

silentC wrote:Ah so you are not just trying to demonstrate the level of zen you have achieved

I don't think I've achieved any level of Zen. I'm not trying to anyway.


Does your sister or mother ride 200-300km a week? In any weather? Do they average 30kph over a multi-hour ride?

No, they probably don't, so they are not the people I am addressing in this issue. Sure, you can tootle along at a slow pace all day long and not need to service your bike once a month. But when you cover 100km on a weekend ride and several 50-70km rides during the week pushing your body and your bike hard, then your equipment needs more attention. Otherwise it will wear quicker, costing you more in the long run and your bike won't perform to its best, meaning you're not getting the most out of your cycling.

And you admit that by not oiling your chain once a month you do get some squeaks. Servicing your bike once a month prevents that, and prevents a whole list of issues that I see regularly because people don't take care of their bikes. The biggest issue I see on weekends is poor shifting, sqeaky chains and brakes that sound like they're using gravel for brake pads. These are all easily dealt with in a simple, regular service that anyone capable of riding a bicycle is capable of doing.

human909
Posts: 8914
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby human909 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:56 am

Jash Rider wrote:Does your sister or mother ride 200-300km a week? In any weather? Do they average 30kph over a multi-hour ride?

So now is a speed, distance and time competition? :roll: Wow. Should I respond by asking you does your bike carry three people while riding? But let's not make this into a competition. The point is to not judge people about how they choose to cycle.

Jash Rider wrote:No, they probably don't, so they are not the people I am addressing in this issue. Sure, you can tootle along at a slow pace all day long and not need to service your bike once a month. But when you cover 100km on a weekend ride and several 50-70km rides during the week pushing your body and your bike hard, then your equipment needs more attention. Otherwise it will wear quicker, costing you more in the long run and your bike won't perform to its best, meaning you're not getting the most out of your cycling.

Not getting the most out of their cycling? I'm not sure you are the best judge of that.

Jash Rider wrote:And you admit that by not oiling your chain once a month you do get some squeaks. Servicing your bike once a month prevents that, and prevents a whole list of issues that I see regularly because people don't take care of their bikes. The biggest issue I see on weekends is poor shifting, sqeaky chains and brakes that sound like they're using gravel for brake pads. These are all easily dealt with in a simple, regular service that anyone capable of riding a bicycle is capable of doing.

Yep. And that is my choice. I don't see why you need be disgusted about such choices.

But if you want to teach me about bike maintenance then you are going to have to go a bit deeper. I've been maintaining bikes almost 3 decades.
Last edited by human909 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10271
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 am

silentC wrote:I didn't mean to start world war III, it's just one of those topics, and I can think of several others, where every time someone asks or writes about it earnestly they get half a dozen replies telling them they shouldn't be doing what they're asking/talking about because "I never do". It's like you've had an epiphany about something and everyone else is mad because they haven't seen the light. Bit of an internet phenomenon and not limited to discussions about bicycles either.

Interesting. In fact it's usually the reverse case - as it is here.

The OP suggests a simple way to quickly clean a cassette, then along come the zealots with their pull-it-all-apart, clean-it-to-death mantra. Sometimes I wonder if they realise that the ShelBroCo chain cleaning system is just a joke.

If you are an the ultra-fastidious type and want to spend hours cleaning your bike, bully for you - go to it.

But you are doing it to satisfy your own internal needs - don't pretend it is essential, don't preach, and don't judge those who would rather be riding than cleaning.

human909 wrote:Lube appropriately so you don't get gunk building up.

It is a rare occasion when I agree with H909 - but I'm with you all the way here. With the right selection of lubricant and an appropriate application regime, the OP suggested cleaning method is all that is necessary for regular maintenance.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 am

But you are doing it to satisfy your own internal needs - don't pretend it is essential, don't preach, and don't judge those who would rather be riding than cleaning.

Have you been getting teased for having a dirty bike, RonK? Don't worry mate, you and I know that untidiness is a sign of intelligence.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

human909
Posts: 8914
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby human909 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 am

RonK wrote:If you are an the ultra-fastidious type and want to spend hours cleaning your bike, bully for you - go to it.

But you are doing it to satisfy your own internal needs - don't pretend it is essential, don't preach, and don't judge those who would rather be riding than cleaning.

Exactly!

RonK wrote:It is a rare occasion when I agree with H909 - but I'm with you all the way here. With the right selection of lubricant and an appropriate application regime, the OP suggested cleaning method is all that is necessary for regular maintenance.

We should be careful not to make a habit of it. :P :D

My first post linked to my learning experiences regarding lubing. And it turns out I've helped somebody else too! (I used to get gunk build up, now I don't.)

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:49 am

Interesting. In fact it's usually the reverse case - as it is here.

I was just thinking about this in case on the slight off-chance you were right, so I went back and had a look at the second post in this thread and I was happy to confirm that you were not. In fact it is a perfect example of what I was talking about.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Jash Rider
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:12 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby Jash Rider » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:56 am

human909 wrote:
Jash Rider wrote:Does your sister or mother ride 200-300km a week? In any weather? Do they average 30kph over a multi-hour ride?

So now is a speed, distance and time competition? :roll: Wow. Should I respond by asking you does your bike carry three people while riding? But let's not make this into a competition. The point is to not judge people about how they choose to cycle.

Jash Rider wrote:No, they probably don't, so they are not the people I am addressing in this issue. Sure, you can tootle along at a slow pace all day long and not need to service your bike once a month. But when you cover 100km on a weekend ride and several 50-70km rides during the week pushing your body and your bike hard, then your equipment needs more attention. Otherwise it will wear quicker, costing you more in the long run and your bike won't perform to its best, meaning you're not getting the most out of your cycling.

Not getting the most out of their cycling? I'm not sure you are the best judge of that.

Jash Rider wrote:And you admit that by not oiling your chain once a month you do get some squeaks. Servicing your bike once a month prevents that, and prevents a whole list of issues that I see regularly because people don't take care of their bikes. The biggest issue I see on weekends is poor shifting, sqeaky chains and brakes that sound like they're using gravel for brake pads. These are all easily dealt with in a simple, regular service that anyone capable of riding a bicycle is capable of doing.

Yep. And that is my choice. I don't see why you need be disgusted about such choices.

But if you want to teach me about bike maintenance then you are going to have to go a bit deeper. I've been maintaining bikes almost 3 decades.



My father had a saying for people like you - you can't fix stupid.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10271
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:12 pm

silentC wrote:
Interesting. In fact it's usually the reverse case - as it is here.

I was just thinking about this in case on the slight off-chance you were right, so I went back and had a look at the second post in this thread and I was happy to confirm that you were not. In fact it is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Try as I might, but I cannot see anything in the second post that that presupposes your assertion "every time someone asks or writes about it earnestly they get half a dozen replies telling them they shouldn't be doing what they're asking/talking about because "I never do". "

Perhaps you have simply become inured to disagreeing with H909. It's easy enough.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13154
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Admin says - typically a moderator or myself (admin) avoid mod duties within threads in which we are active - in this case I acknowledge this and am stepping in in moderator shoes.

I am not impressed by the level of conversation between some members. We are all here because of what unites us, as individuals we need to respect differences and either address this in a courteous manner or simply withdraw from a conversation entirely if it is not going to satisfy you or make you upset or annoyed.

Christopher / Admin

human909
Posts: 8914
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby human909 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:39 pm

RonK wrote:Perhaps you have simply become inured to disagreeing with H909. It's easy enough.

Oi! :D Oh hang on... You have a point here... :wink:
I would say that I am contrarian. And unsurprisingly that leads to differences of opinions, disagreements and enthusiastic discussion. :D

But on this discussion it seems like we are seeing mostly eye to eye... :mrgreen:

Like the good Admin Christopher says. Its best to keep it courteous. I think I've said my peace here....

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 pm

RonK wrote:Try as I might, but I cannot see anything in the second post that that presupposes your assertion "every time someone asks or writes about it earnestly they get half a dozen replies telling them they shouldn't be doing what they're asking/talking about because "I never do". "

Well don't feel bad about it, it's better to try and fail than to never have tried.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6177
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:12 pm

I must admit it is annoying to ride with people when their bikes are making a racket due to poor maintenance.

RobertL
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby RobertL » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:55 pm

I have heard of a similar method, but with using cardboard instead of a rag.

I haven't used this method but the theory is that you get a piece of thin, scrap cardboard from the recycling bin. Something like a cereal box. You apply degreaser to the cassette. Then you hold a folded-over piece of cardboard in the gap between the sprockets with one hand while turning the pedals with the other.

Apparently, the fact that the cardboard gets wet and swells up and goes "fluffy" actually helps the process.
Image

edsa
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby edsa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:19 pm

I usually use baby wipes. Don't really need to use degreaser.
Same method, fold in half or more as required and slide it between the cogs.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby silentC » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:30 pm

I bought a packet of baby wipes after reading about people using them for this and other things. I probably used about 1/3 of the packet before I saw a photo of a great wad of them that had been pulled from a sewer, and apparently that's a daily task. Not that I flush them, but it got me thinking about single-use throw-away things, so I went back to using the same old rag (an old pair of jocks I think, barely recognisable these days) that I have been using for years. It's a small thing, probably futile but I'm trying to be conscious of it these days.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

eeksll
Posts: 2468
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby eeksll » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 pm

my cassette probably starts dirtier than everyone else, but I find this tends to push the dirt into the middle of the cassette, it does leave the cogs clean so the important part is clean I guess.

just a note I have one of these type of cassette claw clean tools (that isnt the one I have btw) and it needs to be "speed" compatible i.e the one I have does not fit in my 10 and 11 speed cassettes.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ratts