Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I have had a different experience with the brand. CKinnard, your stats are your preferred interpretation and you are an individual who has not purchased from Cycliq and has not experienced the issues discussed or experienced the 'bad customer service' to which you have referred.


that's a very emotive response:
- prove my stats interpretation can be interpreted some other way.
- why are you dismissing BNA members' experiences with Cycliq products (as conveyed in this thread) as less worthy than your experience?
- my decision not to buy is in part due to your review Christopher, where you state the following:

"The upgrade of the Fly6 by Cycliq is a smart move and I think it is an incremental upgrade which allows Cycliq to rely on much of the existing technology while they secretly develop a new version with better video resolution and quality along with a better battery life in a more compact case. I am just guessing but enhanced video with 1080p resolution is the logical next step."

3 upgrades, incremental upgrades, secret development of a new version with better this and that!!!! deary me!

sclyde2
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby sclyde2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:23 pm

CKinnard wrote:A recent response from Cycliq in relation to the Fly 6 battery issues

"thanks for your message. Just like many other large brands like Apple, Garmin & others, we source our batteries from China. We certainly did find that some of our batteries from our previous supplier did not perform the same as others which is why we replace them when we find these issues. The challenge for us is that it was not an issue that affected every product. This can be evidenced by some our fist models made 4 years ago still working today. What we have done in each new model we have made is sourced better and more reliable suppliers which is why we get less and less issues with batteries as time goes by. At the same time tho, we always replace or repair our products when there are issues within the warranty period and work with our customers even after the warranty period as we want all of our customers to be happy with their investment. We believe we have, in our latest version, resolved the issue as we are not getting any issues with the batteries. That is not to say we won't as it is standard across all manufacturers that there is a 1% allowance for defects because there is human involvement across the manufacturing process. I think if you look across every message we get you will see that we do address genuine issues however some people are not telling the truth about their issue or using foul language and we do monitor them. I do personally try to address forums where people have issues and ask them to first go to our support team who are friendly, responsive and genuinely want to help each person. 99% of people who use our support walk away happy that we have resolved their issue be it explaining the use of a feature to replacing their unit for a warranty issue. While we are a pretty small company on the consumer electronics stage, we out perform the big boys in our customer satisfaction...especially in support. I couldn't tell from your message if you, yourself have an issue but if you do, our customer support will definitely help you out."

This doesn't reconcile with Amazon feedback being 33% critical over the last 7 months, overwhelmingly over faulty batteries.

If Cycliq are genuinely concerned about resolving the issue, and feel they have, then it would be savvy to extend their warranty beyond one year to back their belief in their product, after several years of not getting their suppliers right, at the expense of their customers.


interesting.

was that post somewhere "public", like on a webpage, forum etc. Or was it just in a private email. If the former, could you provide a link please.

User avatar
Dodgy-Knee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:A bit of a hijack - considering purchasing the new Fly6 for some 'insurance' and was wondering if the light can be turned completely off - as in just the camera running?

I have an Exposure Blaze Mk2 which I think does a much better job as a light.


What biker jk says above is right. And I do have the same rear light that biker jk have too.

This thread is about Fly6 1st gen battery.



Bunged-Knee?????

Does this mean we're distantly related? ;-)

cheers!
Dodgy-Knee

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Bunged-Knee?????

Does this mean we're distantly related? ;-)

cheers!
Dodgy-Knee


Dodgy-Knee????? :o

Hmm, maybe we are the long lost relative? :wink:

Cheers!
Bunged Knee
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12588
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Ckinnard, manipulating information and loaded questions does not equate to fact. I have disclosed my connection with the brand and provided, what I feel is, useful input and been up-front. Your motivation for participation, as a non-owner who has not experienced issues, remains unclear.

Time to allow this discussion to get back on-track - you included CKinnard.

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Your motivation for participation, as a non-owner who has not experienced issues, remains unclear.


well if you insist on a motivation for participation, why not speculate?

here's a start.

I could have a friend who can bring a better designed product to market within 4 months, made with components from tier 1 suppliers, and backed by a better warranty in every respect.

Would you be prepared to do a product review Christopher, and what's it cost?
Would you be interested in consulting re a crowdfunding or kickstarter campaign?

Cycliq
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Cycliq » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi guys – thanks for your feedback and comments. I know I have not been as present on BNA for the last few months as we have been very busy here at Cycliq. Having read this thread, I wish I’d had the time to address the comments as they popped up as some of them have very simple answers. I’ll try and address them below but before I do, please understand that we really do want our customers to be happy and put every effort we can into making our products to the best of our abilities. As a young company, we are always learning and always improving - often the learning curve can be steep. This was evidenced in the first model we brought out and after making & selling many thousands of them we found that some of them had faulty batteries and some of the manufacturing practices were not as we were promised so we quickly moved to a new factory who helped us bring out the second version of Fly6.

Effectively, we make new models so that we can improve our offering for our customers. Technology changes, selecting new suppliers, mechanical improvements, customer feedback and our desire to make better products each time (after all - we are cyclists and want better toys too).

Let’s talk about why we don’t have replaceable batteries: There are a bunch of reasons and as one of the comments mentioned there is a cost to having a replaceable battery. This cost is not always just monetary but it can also make the product bigger which is a size cost. There is also the fact that you have to have more openings which leads to a risk of more things breaking or getting lost as well as water or other particles ingress into the unit which would directly annoy our customers or could lead to the unit failing. These are all issues we consider however the main reason we don’t have a replaceable battery is because we know the unit is going to have to handle all weather conditions and grime pelting on it from the rear tyre so we wanted to protect the unit from ingress. This was simply a design feature we wanted in the original design and the principle has not changed since then and it is still an issue we think needs to be addressed by having a sealed unit. I know some of you will still say that you want a replaceable battery but you have to understand that we design our products in an attempt to address most cyclist in the same way the governments design roads for most cases, not peak or off peak times. There are always going to be people that want to use our products in extreme circumstances (like 24 hour events) but we don’t design our products for them. With Fly12, you can’t use a USB power pack with it because an external power supply can’t deliver enough measured power to fuel both the 400 lumen light and the 1080 camera. That is why we packed so much power into Fly12 so you can choose if you want to utilise the long battery life in camera only mode or if you are having a long commute home or to work in the complete darkness you have got enough juice in the unit to give you 1.5-2 hours of 400 lumen lighting. Rightly or wrongly, this was the use case for Fly12 and that is how it has been designed.

Battery life: When we first made Fly6 (original), the manufacturer informed us we would have six hours of battery life with the lights flashing and the battery supplier was providing a 500 cycle warranty. So this meant that in theory there was around 3,000 hours warranty. When we considered this, we did the math and assuming a cyclist might ride for 10 hours a week for around 48 weeks of the year. This in loose terms should be around 500 hours per year of use assuming full charge to discharge and perhaps some partial discharges should in theory provide many years of use. This sounded good to us and would provide a good customer outcome…I’m sure you would agree. This is what we agreed to build. What we found when testing the prototypes and pilot production runs, that with over 400 units being tested over many 1,000s of kms, people were getting exactly what was on the tin and so we went ahead and made them.

After manufacturing and selling many thousands of them, we started hearing about a small percentage of the batteries failing so we would replace them. But it got us thinking that what we were given in the prototypes and what they had used in manufacturing some of the units were not the same quality we had agreed to. This is why we moved to a new factory to improve our quality for the customers and subsequently made a new version with many, many improvements. Again, we tested the units and found them to be more robust, brighter lights, better camera, smaller form factor and we moved from the type of battery in the original unit to the more popular and more established 18650 type from a new supplier. We found the support issues reduced dramatically however we did find that some of the issues we were hearing about related to the battery and so we set out to source a better supplier. That is what we did for the latest version of Fly6v and again, the support issues related to batteries has reduced to almost zero. This proves we are getting better as we become more experienced. Our analysis of the previous version with the battery issue is not with the battery itself (which is really good quality) but the battery protection circuit in the odd unit being faulty. The issue was that the circuit could break prematurely when it should normally only break in extreme conditions to protect the battery. This does not happen to every unit and the number of units this effects is very small given how many units we have made but when these issues happen, we do replace them for our customers once we examine the faulty unit.

The good news is that we have again moved to a new battery supplier with Fly6v and the issues of the protective circuit have been resolved. As with all manufacturing involving humans, there is always a 1% chance something has gone wrong and of course, we will replace or repair any products within the warranty period. We know we are a young company punching above our weight against the big gorillas in the consumer electronic industry but we really do care about our customers and do want them to be happy. We just have to balance that against making products that work well for most people and understand that our products (like all products) are possibly not for everyone however, we do know they are great for the majority of cyclists like us!

Support: I am super proud of our support team and think they do an awesome job. Most of the contacts through support are for people wanting to know how to use certain features. I understand that every support ticket gets addressed and resolved. If any of you have contacted support and created a ticket that received “no support” or did not get the issue resolved, please send an email to info@cycliq.com with the support ticket number and ask that it be directed to me. I will address each one and personally make sure it does get resolved…our support team is there to serve you, the customer and I won’t accept anything less.

Fixing or replacing batteries: Please, please….do not attempt to fix or replace the batteries. Lithium Ion batteries can be dangerous under certain circumstances and the risk of danger dramatically increases when you mess around with them. I am saying this seriously….I don’t want any of our customers having any more risk than necessary. Unless you are qualified to do so in an environment that is designed for that purpose, I do not recommend you engage in these things. I have seen a few videos on YouTube of how dangerous lithium ion batteries can be when in the wrong circumstances. If your unit is within warranty and not performing as it says on the box, we will replace it for you….this really is the best thing to do.

I’d like to say to finish off, that we have built a support system and great team to support our customers. If you have any issue or any questions about our products…they should be put to our support team by creating a support ticket (http://support.cycliq.com/support/home). Our average response time is currently averages under four (4) hours which proves how responsive we are.

Thanks for reading & ride safe!

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12588
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for providing input Cycliq - I am sure this will be appreciated by Cycliq fans and people who have concerns.

So that this thread stays on-topic, Ckinnard, I have started a new thread with responses.

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Can I just say "bravo" to Cycliq for doing so.

Anyone think of another manufacturer responding as such? I think not.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Can I just say "bravo" to Cycliq for doing so.

Anyone think of another manufacturer responding as such? I think not.


Yes, Bravo! :)

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Cycliq, can I suggest you post the above information on your website so that all your customers, not just those reading this thread, know what's been going on.

To date, this is the first time in your company's history you have given this version of events, anywhere! Much angst has been conveyed on social media because this story wasn't told earlier.

Can I also ask if you intend to lengthen the warranty period, as pro bono makegood to your most valued customers whose products did not perform in line with expectations outside of the 12 month warranty.

defy1
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby defy1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

Still, I think 1 year warranty is not sufficient.
Should be at minimum 2 years if you stand by your product.

Also, fix the camera quality.

User avatar
Dodgy-Knee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:21 am

defy1 wrote:Still, I think 1 year warranty is not sufficient.
Should be at minimum 2 years if you stand by your product.

Also, fix the camera quality.


Camera quality is OK ... I don't need HD or 4K .. so long as I can read the car number plate.

I agree with the warranty issues... 1yr is a bit miserly.

Considering that Cycliq have admitted that they knew the battery was faulty, I'm also a bit miffed regarding how the original backers for the v1 Fly6 were 'invited' by Cycliq to spend money buying the updated version (at a discounted price admittedly) rather than receive an exchange - either of the battery or the entire v1 unit.

The v1 Kickstarter backers took a punt on a good idea and essentially bought the item sight unseen ... I know that there's always a risk with anything that's "v1" be it a mobile phone, car, TV etc etc... what burns is that the after sales service at the time could have been much better when these first units started to fail.

Hopefully all of the current cameras have a much longer life ... I have my fingers crossed that my v1 Fly12 (hello Kickstarter!!) has a better performance than my Fly6 had.

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Hmmm. Just my opinion, but you choose Kickstarter to "kickstart" a product. You choose retail if you want something with the bugs sorted out.

Can we remind ourselves that there have been significant developments in battery technology and cost over the last few years. I know from experience that you can't develop a product along a multi-year timeline such that when it arrives it has world's best technology in camera and battery. Unless you drive all steps along the way - the way tech giants do.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

defy1
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby defy1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
defy1 wrote:Still, I think 1 year warranty is not sufficient.
Should be at minimum 2 years if you stand by your product.

Also, fix the camera quality.


Camera quality is OK ... I don't need HD or 4K .. so long as I can read the car number plate.

.


Mine failed, and was a v2.
Camera is not OK, and many times its hard to read number plates even in broad daylight. You need some CSI image enhancing software to read it. This is quite a common complaint.
Nowadays, given every phone, laptop has a decent 1080p camera I don't see why the Fly6 can't have it also. My $100 Mobius is 1080p, and the picture quality is head and shoulders better than fly6.

sclyde2
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby sclyde2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:00 pm

i reckon the 720p camera is just good enough for the purpose it is designed for. at least for a 2014/2015 product (yep, they better up the quality of it for the next gen). it certainly is premium priced for a 720p camera though, even 2 yrs ago. but i suppose consumers are seeing the value in it being combined into a weather proof bike friendly form factor, combined with a tail light, with decent battery life, and the auto-record-over-old-footage feature. such consumers certainly pay the premium price for it though. with such premium comes higher expectations, such as expectations of useful life. hence threads like this one.

yes, i agree with the sentiments about having at least a 2yr warranty. at the very least have it "informally", and have cycliq's 1st level support aware of it when dealing with what look like battery failures.

it seems that the founder of cycliq is more customer satisfaction focused than their staff, and a decent outcome is achievable when something goes wrong with their products - but only when escalating. problem is, some people give up after dealing with their 1st level "support", and don't come back, or instead vent on forums like this one. with a bit of extra cost (replacing some units outside of warranty) to control reputation damage, cycliq might just survive the future entry of competitors into the bicycle-specific "dash cam" market. just need to get the 1st level support scripting sorted.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5910
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Cycliq wrote:Hi guys – thanks for your feedback and comments. I know I have not been as present on BNA for the last few months as we have been very busy here at Cycliq. Having read this thread, I wish I’d had the time to address the comments as they popped up as some of them have very simple answers. I’ll try and address them below but before I do, please understand that we really do want our customers to be happy and put every effort we can into making our products to the best of our abilities. As a young company, we are always learning and always improving - often the learning curve can be steep. This was evidenced in the first model we brought out and after making & selling many thousands of them we found that some of them had faulty batteries and some of the manufacturing practices were not as we were promised so we quickly moved to a new factory who helped us bring out the second version of Fly6.

Effectively, we make new models so that we can improve our offering for our customers. Technology changes, selecting new suppliers, mechanical improvements, customer feedback and our desire to make better products each time (after all - we are cyclists and want better toys too).

Let’s talk about why we don’t have replaceable batteries: There are a bunch of reasons and as one of the comments mentioned there is a cost to having a replaceable battery. This cost is not always just monetary but it can also make the product bigger which is a size cost. There is also the fact that you have to have more openings which leads to a risk of more things breaking or getting lost as well as water or other particles ingress into the unit which would directly annoy our customers or could lead to the unit failing. These are all issues we consider however the main reason we don’t have a replaceable battery is because we know the unit is going to have to handle all weather conditions and grime pelting on it from the rear tyre so we wanted to protect the unit from ingress. This was simply a design feature we wanted in the original design and the principle has not changed since then and it is still an issue we think needs to be addressed by having a sealed unit. I know some of you will still say that you want a replaceable battery but you have to understand that we design our products in an attempt to address most cyclist in the same way the governments design roads for most cases, not peak or off peak times. There are always going to be people that want to use our products in extreme circumstances (like 24 hour events) but we don’t design our products for them. With Fly12, you can’t use a USB power pack with it because an external power supply can’t deliver enough measured power to fuel both the 400 lumen light and the 1080 camera. That is why we packed so much power into Fly12 so you can choose if you want to utilise the long battery life in camera only mode or if you are having a long commute home or to work in the complete darkness you have got enough juice in the unit to give you 1.5-2 hours of 400 lumen lighting. Rightly or wrongly, this was the use case for Fly12 and that is how it has been designed.

Battery life: When we first made Fly6 (original), the manufacturer informed us we would have six hours of battery life with the lights flashing and the battery supplier was providing a 500 cycle warranty. So this meant that in theory there was around 3,000 hours warranty. When we considered this, we did the math and assuming a cyclist might ride for 10 hours a week for around 48 weeks of the year. This in loose terms should be around 500 hours per year of use assuming full charge to discharge and perhaps some partial discharges should in theory provide many years of use. This sounded good to us and would provide a good customer outcome…I’m sure you would agree. This is what we agreed to build. What we found when testing the prototypes and pilot production runs, that with over 400 units being tested over many 1,000s of kms, people were getting exactly what was on the tin and so we went ahead and made them.

After manufacturing and selling many thousands of them, we started hearing about a small percentage of the batteries failing so we would replace them. But it got us thinking that what we were given in the prototypes and what they had used in manufacturing some of the units were not the same quality we had agreed to. This is why we moved to a new factory to improve our quality for the customers and subsequently made a new version with many, many improvements. Again, we tested the units and found them to be more robust, brighter lights, better camera, smaller form factor and we moved from the type of battery in the original unit to the more popular and more established 18650 type from a new supplier. We found the support issues reduced dramatically however we did find that some of the issues we were hearing about related to the battery and so we set out to source a better supplier. That is what we did for the latest version of Fly6v and again, the support issues related to batteries has reduced to almost zero. This proves we are getting better as we become more experienced. Our analysis of the previous version with the battery issue is not with the battery itself (which is really good quality) but the battery protection circuit in the odd unit being faulty. The issue was that the circuit could break prematurely when it should normally only break in extreme conditions to protect the battery. This does not happen to every unit and the number of units this effects is very small given how many units we have made but when these issues happen, we do replace them for our customers once we examine the faulty unit.

The good news is that we have again moved to a new battery supplier with Fly6v and the issues of the protective circuit have been resolved. As with all manufacturing involving humans, there is always a 1% chance something has gone wrong and of course, we will replace or repair any products within the warranty period. We know we are a young company punching above our weight against the big gorillas in the consumer electronic industry but we really do care about our customers and do want them to be happy. We just have to balance that against making products that work well for most people and understand that our products (like all products) are possibly not for everyone however, we do know they are great for the majority of cyclists like us!

Support: I am super proud of our support team and think they do an awesome job. Most of the contacts through support are for people wanting to know how to use certain features. I understand that every support ticket gets addressed and resolved. If any of you have contacted support and created a ticket that received “no support” or did not get the issue resolved, please send an email to info@cycliq.com with the support ticket number and ask that it be directed to me. I will address each one and personally make sure it does get resolved…our support team is there to serve you, the customer and I won’t accept anything less.

Fixing or replacing batteries: Please, please….do not attempt to fix or replace the batteries. Lithium Ion batteries can be dangerous under certain circumstances and the risk of danger dramatically increases when you mess around with them. I am saying this seriously….I don’t want any of our customers having any more risk than necessary. Unless you are qualified to do so in an environment that is designed for that purpose, I do not recommend you engage in these things. I have seen a few videos on YouTube of how dangerous lithium ion batteries can be when in the wrong circumstances. If your unit is within warranty and not performing as it says on the box, we will replace it for you….this really is the best thing to do.

I’d like to say to finish off, that we have built a support system and great team to support our customers. If you have any issue or any questions about our products…they should be put to our support team by creating a support ticket (http://support.cycliq.com/support/home). Our average response time is currently averages under four (4) hours which proves how responsive we are.

Thanks for reading & ride safe!


I logged a support ticket Tuesday afternoon about my Cycliq Duo mount Wahoo puck not fitting my computer. I sent a photo as requested Tuesday afternoon and have had no response two days later.

clint66
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby clint66 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Its not just me then.

My wahoo puck was very tight on the new mount and I really couldn't get it in to start with. I kept rechecking to see if I had the correct puck as for some reason my wahoo puck was not marked(I think I got one of the first shipments from the kickstarter).

After using it a few times, it does work now though, albeit it is quite tight and I need to angle it to get it in. I might have a look and see what has worn in, whether it's the puck or my elemnt.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5910
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:27 pm

clint66 wrote:Its not just me then.

My wahoo puck was very tight on the new mount and I really couldn't get it in to start with. I kept rechecking to see if I had the correct puck as for some reason my wahoo puck was not marked(I think I got one of the first shipments from the kickstarter).

After using it a few times, it does work now though, albeit it is quite tight and I need to angle it to get it in. I might have a look and see what has worn in, whether it's the puck or my elemnt.


No you're not alone. There's another person as well who had the same problem apart from us. I'm not going to force my computer into a clearly too small puck. Damaging my computer tabs is a clear risk. The Garmin puck was tight but at least you could actually insert the computer (I tested it with my wife's Garmin). I'm curious to know whether the Tate Labs Wahoo pucks are fine suggesting it's just the ones they supplied to Cycliq that are too tight. Two days of silence from Cycliq and they brag about their customer service. :roll:

RhapsodyX
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby RhapsodyX » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Sub-zero temperatures yesterday, turned on my "good" fly6 (1'st Gen) that used to run for around an hour : three beeps. Less than five minutes later... beeped to indicate flat. That's two units, 100% failure rate of the batteries. The battery performance is definitely affected by ambient temperature, I hope the reliability of the new ones includes testing somewhere other than Perth & mild conditions.

Baalzamon
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:22 pm

RhapsodyX wrote:Sub-zero temperatures yesterday, turned on my "good" fly6 (1'st Gen) that used to run for around an hour : three beeps. Less than five minutes later... beeped to indicate flat. That's two units, 100% failure rate of the batteries. The battery performance is definitely affected by ambient temperature, I hope the reliability of the new ones includes testing somewhere other than Perth & mild conditions.


Ummm we can get sub zero here in perth as well early in the mornings. -2 & -3 are common in some areas
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Comedian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

RhapsodyX wrote:Sub-zero temperatures yesterday, turned on my "good" fly6 (1'st Gen) that used to run for around an hour : three beeps. Less than five minutes later... beeped to indicate flat. That's two units, 100% failure rate of the batteries. The battery performance is definitely affected by ambient temperature, I hope the reliability of the new ones includes testing somewhere other than Perth & mild conditions.

I think the claimed duration was 6 hours initially. Personally.. I got cranky at about 4. :shock:

RhapsodyX
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby RhapsodyX » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
RhapsodyX wrote:Sub-zero temperatures yesterday, turned on my "good" fly6 (1'st Gen) that used to run for around an hour : three beeps. Less than five minutes later... beeped to indicate flat. That's two units, 100% failure rate of the batteries. The battery performance is definitely affected by ambient temperature, I hope the reliability of the new ones includes testing somewhere other than Perth & mild conditions.


Ummm we can get sub zero here in perth as well early in the mornings. -2 & -3 are common in some areas


O.K. - fair point, but Perth vs Canberra - it's 'a bit' cooler here through winter! And it's very noticeable that the Fly6 runtime is longer in Summer.

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Just found the DragonflyDIY Easy repair Fly6 battery replacement info with pics in it.

Good for out of warranty Fly6 for DIY.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Just found the DragonflyDIY Easy repair Fly6 battery replacement info with pics in it.

Good for out of warranty Fly6 for DIY.


Kudos++ Cycliq haven't resolved the inferior battery supplier 'issue'.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users