Shimano Press Fit Bottom Bracket

lloydmcilroy

Shimano Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Postby lloydmcilroy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi

I have a Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 2016 with a Shimano Press Fit bottom bracket. Can i get advise as to how I would remove that bottom bracket and replace with Shimano Dura Ace 9000 bottom bracket http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-dura-a ... cket-cups/

Thanks
Lloyd

biker jk

Re: Shimano Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Why do you wish to convert from press-fit to screw in bottom bracket bearings?

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:35 pm

I'm curious to know what you are supposed to do if you want to upgrade from 2011 Shimano 5700 (10spd) which on my carbon bike uses a press in BB.

I notice the latest 6800 11spd groupset also uses screw in cups, like the Durace one.

I'm happy with, and don't have any issues with my current 5700 crankset or the press fit BB since I replaced the BB last year with an updated BB that is supposed to have better seals and bigger bearings to address its shortcomings. A 2016 model bike probably has that updated BB.

But if you want to put 11spd on the bike, 'they' say you need 11spd cranks/rings. I'm not inclined to doubt them. The teeth, or the rings themselves, are marginally narrower? I don't think the two rings are spaced any closer together, allegedly.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:57 pm

TheShadow wrote:I'm curious to know what you are supposed to do if you want to upgrade from 2011 Shimano 5700 (10spd) which on my carbon bike uses a press in BB.

I notice the latest 6800 11spd groupset also uses screw in cups, like the Durace one.

I'm happy with, and don't have any issues with my current 5700 crankset or the press fit BB since I replaced the BB last year with an updated BB that is supposed to have better seals and bigger bearings to address its shortcomings. A 2016 model bike probably has that updated BB.

But if you want to put 11spd on the bike, 'they' say you need 11spd cranks/rings. I'm not inclined to doubt them. The teeth, or the rings themselves, are marginally narrower? I don't think the two rings are spaced any closer together, allegedly.
That is incorrect. I have Ultegra 6800 groupsets on two bikes, one with a press fit bottom bracket, the other screw in cups.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:43 pm

^ OK, thanks. That's logical given there must be heaps of press fit frames around.

I've actually only been looking at them on Wiggle :oops: and they only show screw in cup BB in the photo, so I don't understand where or how you choose a press fit BB with them. :?

Wiggle offers your choice of crank length, and cassette and chain ring combos, but there is no 11-28 cassette with 39*53 chain ring option. :| Wiggle sells 39 tooth rings to fit, but no 53 tooth rings yet. It seems a waste of money to be buying chain rings in the size you don't really want.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:10 pm

TheShadow wrote:
Wiggle offers your choice of crank length, and cassette and chain ring combos, but there is no 11-28 cassette with 39*53 chain ring option. :| Wiggle sells 39 tooth rings to fit, but no 53 tooth rings yet. It seems a waste of money to be buying chain rings in the size you don't really want.
check out merlin cycles. They offer the choice of press fit bb. But as others have said, if you already have a press fit Shimano bb in the frame, and it's fine, don't change it

Edit: Press fit. Bb is out of stock, but you can have your 53/39 11-28 combo.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:49 am

jasonc wrote: check out merlin cycles. They offer the choice of press fit bb. But as others have said, if you already have a press fit Shimano bb in the frame, and it's fine, don't change it

Edit: Press fit. Bb is out of stock, but you can have your 53/39 11-28 combo.
Thanks. I have subsequently realised that the Shimano press fit bb fits all (?) their road Hollow Tech cranks from at least 5700 upwards (and some lower/earlier models). That's kinda handy, even if you hate that press fit bb as some people seem to. :lol:

I did quickly check Merlin cycles, and as is often the case, certain sizes and combinations are sold out. I also noted the press fit bb they are selling with all Di2/cable 6800 groupsets, are the 'slightly suspect' (?), superceded SM-BB71. That lasted just over one year of regular, basic use in my bike before developing major play - I was slightly shocked. The 'upgraded' SM-BB72 I replaced it with is supposed to be better and seems fine so far, 13mths later. It's not a huge deal on the basis of it's price, so much as the inconvenience of it failing and having to replace it.

I'm probably going to buy the 11spd parts separately, maybe a mix of 5800 and 6800, maybe not bothering with brake callipers, and I have cooled off a little on Di2 after researching it as best I could and thinking about what might be least overall hassle and cost long term.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Shimano only make one press fit BB, and its garbage, hence why its only $30 or something. Spend the extra and get one with steel outers.

I get the impression OP just wants a Dura Ace one but the one already in the frame is Dura Ace level because thats all there is.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:40 pm

danny the boy wrote:Shimano only make one press fit BB, and its garbage...
I get the impression OP just wants a Dura Ace one but the one already in the frame is Dura Ace level because thats all there is.
No they don't, they make at least two levels, possibly still three. BB71/72/73 is the "regular" 105/Ultegra/SLX/XT level, there has also (and may still be) a BB51 Deore/Tiagra level, BB91/92/93/94 is the Dura-Ace/XTR level press-fit bottom bracket. The bearings and seals are the same quality for both screw-in and press-fit at each level.

Most of the issues with press-fit are frame tolerance, not the BB itself, but BB90-series (not to be confused with Trek's proprietary - and truly awful - BB90 format) do have better housings than BB70-series.
Last edited by Duck! on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 pm

TheShadow wrote:
jasonc wrote: check out merlin cycles. They offer the choice of press fit bb. But as others have said, if you already have a press fit Shimano bb in the frame, and it's fine, don't change it.
Press-fit and screw-in have the same overall width and bore diameter, so ALL Shimano road two-piece cranks (Hollowtech II really only applies to 105 & better cranks which have hollow crank arms) will fit; the crucial dimensions are unchanged since the design was first released with 7800 Dura-Ace back in 2003.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ajaoz

Postby ajaoz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:01 am

Press fit may be in 'it's dying days'. I have just noticed that the new 2019 BMC alr01 or alr02 (I forget which model) has a BSA threaded bottom bracket. Of course this most probably will not extend to higher/post entry level models; only time will tell if the old BSA makes a stronger comeback.