Chain Outlasts Casette!

Tim

Re: Chain Outlasts Casette!

Postby Tim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm wondering whether you're still using a Wipperman chain?
I recently fitted a friend's bike with new series Dura Ace shifters, derailleurs, cassette and crankset.
His brand new, top line Wipperman chain just would not play nicely with the Shimano gear. No matter how fine a tuning of the rear derailleur the chain rattled and clattered across the new cassette.
Took the Wipperman off, fitted a KMC X11 SL and everything ran as smooth as silk.
I can't explain it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Nate wrote:OK - some really interesting news & results...

I got 4,000km out of the last setup!!! & NO skipping of gears.
Ref: http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 8&start=50

I was previously only getting about 3,000km per set.

So i've been doing some things a bit differently:
- higher cadence: spin more & grind less, took a while to get used to - but maintaining a 80-95 rpm as much as possible. back in the day it was 60's- 70's (pushing a 53-17 single speed for years)
- changed lube... i'll post up on this one. The magic formula... Auto Trans fluid!

What was really interesting this time is that the chain never skipped over the cogs once. But there was heaps of play when bending/flexing the chain left/right - so i'd have to shift 2 gears at a time & then flick back. The side plates were that worn out!
There was also the usual folding of the cassette teeth after about 2,000km too!

I'll be doing a vid review of lubricants & i've also torn down the chain - so will get a microscope out & show the wear on plates & pins.
Mate I looked at the picture.. that's epic. Is that 8 speed you're running or was that a random pic?

I just don't know.. This current chain has 7000k on it and it's still within wear limits. I've only ever worn out one cassette, and it had 35k on it. When I wear out another one I'll let you know. Never worn out a campy front chain ring (highest mileage front set is 25k ATM but they appear perfect).

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Tim wrote:I'm wondering whether you're still using a Wipperman chain?
Took the Wipperman off, fitted a KMC X11 SL and everything ran as smooth as silk.
I can't explain it.
tried both of those & shimano chain = no difference in wear rates.
it worked & played nicely with no issues.

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Comedian wrote: Mate I looked at the picture.. that's epic. Is that 8 speed you're running or was that a random pic?
I just don't know.. This current chain has 7000k on it and it's still within wear limits. I've only ever worn out one cassette, and it had 35k on it. When I wear out another one I'll let you know. Never worn out a campy front chain ring (highest mileage front set is 25k ATM but they appear perfect).
random pic

The amount of crap that gets thrown into my chain is insane - even with mud guards.
So much sand & grit - and thats whats killed the chain - the places are STUFFED from wear (& power, mostly power).

But 30% additional wear from lube & i've got a new dodgy chainguard hack i'll be trying next :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Nate wrote:
Comedian wrote: Mate I looked at the picture.. that's epic. Is that 8 speed you're running or was that a random pic?
random pic

The amount of crap that gets thrown into my chain is insane - even with mud guards.
So much sand & grit - and thats whats killed the chain - the places are STUFFED from wear (& power, mostly power).

But 30% additional wear from lube & i've got a new dodgy chainguard hack i'll be trying next :)
I'm not a fan of IGH, because in my application they are more hassle than they are worth. However given the issues you're having perhaps they would bear investigation? Maybe even a belt drive (although that might need a special frame).

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Comedian wrote: I'm not a fan of IGH, because in my application they are more hassle than they are worth. However given the issues you're having perhaps they would bear investigation? Maybe even a belt drive (although that might need a special frame).
IGH - internally geared hub! figured it out.
yeah i can do a belt drive with my frame (when i get a new one from warranty)
costs are silly - hub, build the wheel, cranks, shifter... meh not happy to go down that path.

Chainguard should hopefully do a lot.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Nate wrote:
Comedian wrote: I'm not a fan of IGH, because in my application they are more hassle than they are worth. However given the issues you're having perhaps they would bear investigation? Maybe even a belt drive (although that might need a special frame).
IGH - internally geared hub! figured it out.
yeah i can do a belt drive with my frame (when i get a new one from warranty)
costs are silly - hub, build the wheel, cranks, shifter... meh not happy to go down that path.

Chainguard should hopefully do a lot.
The dutch do full chainguards and it stretches maintenance out forever. Problem is getting them to work with derailleur systems.

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Interesting video if anyone wants to see the chain under a microscope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sehm4CS0mNQ&t=30s

16min of me banging on about lubes, but then some cool stuff :)