Garmin Edge 500 set up and operation

open roader

Garmin Edge 500 set up and operation

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm

I realised that I did every single mile of 2016 as a solo rider - not a single turn of the cranks riden with a riding partner - a sad state of affairs as I do enjoy occasional riding company.

I am not big on cycling computer data at all but I do watch my HR and try to keep it up for the duration and speed / average speed of course is also nice to know but that's about the extent of my interest as a pleasure rider.

I have a friend who has liked to occasionally ride with me in the past, but he is insistant that it's about fitness and training for him, wanting an accurate speedo, HRM, cadence etc but does not ride often enough presently to justify a decent set up of his own. I have run Sigma Rox 8.1 on my bikes for maybe 7-8 years now and find them accurate and reliable however when I set my friend's bike up with my spare Rox 8 unit the HR readings became confused between the two of us if we rode within 3-4 metres of eachother.............which of course one does if one is to have a chat.

In an attempt to convince my freind to ride with me more often I have sold off my spare Rox set up and have chanced the lucky dip with one of the many Garmin Edge 500 units one sees for sale 2nd hand all over. I figure I'll try the Garmin set up and he can have my Sigma set up on his bike with hopefully no iterference between set ups.

I have purchased a head unit with wall charger, HR belt, the cradle mounts and the cadence/speed sensor/s I have zero experience with this set up so you are repsonding to a total newbie in so far as Garmin 500 goes.......

This is what I have purchased :-

My questions are :-

Do I assume correctly that the head unit is a GPS location unit so speed would be determined from GPS positioning thus the sensor is to be used for cadence?

If so, the cadence sensor is fitted to my bike how?

Does the head unit have to wall chage or can I charge it from my desktop PC?

Any help advice is most welcome.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

biker jk

Re: Garmin Edge 500 set up and operation

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm

If you fit the speed/cadence sensor (goes on left chainstay) then the Garmin will measure speed from wheel rotation. No speed/cadence sensor and then it will be GPS based speed. The cadence magnet goes on the inside of your left crank. Wheel magnet on the non-drive side spoke of rear wheel. You need to place the speed/cadence sensor so that the cadence magnet passes the line on the outside of the speed/cadence sensor. The arm on the speed/cadence sensor can be adjusted up or down so that the wheel magnet passes it within 5mm or so.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:29 pm

OK, many thanks - two ways to measure speed - which method is 'best'?

Sigma Rox cadence set up is very similar 5-6mm tollerance before signal is lost.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:32 pm

open roader wrote:OK, many thanks - two ways to measure speed - which method is 'best'?

Sigma Rox cadence set up is very similar 5-6mm tollerance before signal is lost.
GPS speed isn't as accurate. There's a white button on the speed/cadence sensor which you press (it will flash) and will tell you if the speed and cadence magnets are being picked up by flashing green and red, respectively, when you pedal.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Sounds like I trial both speed measurements and live with the extra sensor if need be.

Will a strong neomidium magnet fitted onto the stub end of the pedal axle work for cadence?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm

open roader wrote:Sounds like I trial both speed measurements and live with the extra sensor if need be.

Will a strong neomidium magnet fitted onto the stub end of the pedal axle work for cadence?
Yes I use those magnets (round and about 10mm in diameter). Won't work for titanium pedal axles, however.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:35 pm

biker jk wrote:Won't work for titanium pedal axles, however.
That's odd, I have Time RXS Ti carbon pedals and I can get a neomydium magnet to adhere to my axle stub..........? :? Hey Mr. Time what gives.....?

Anyhow, it appears the set up for Garmin 500 is pretty straight forward with only the two speed measure options being something I've not dealt with before.

Cheers!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 pm

open roader wrote:
biker jk wrote:Won't work for titanium pedal axles, however.
That's odd, I have Time RXS Ti carbon pedals and I can get a neomydium magnet to adhere to my axle stub..........? :? Hey Mr. Time what gives.....?

Anyhow, it appears the set up for Garmin 500 is pretty straight forward with only the two speed measure options being something I've not dealt with before.

Cheers!
Funny but my magnet doesn't stick to my titanium bike.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:51 pm

I should have known that hi grade Ti is non magnetic............ I learned this at school.......

I expect my so called Ti pedal spindles have multiple steel grade parts.

However, I digress.........