Another Lube Thread

RonK

Re: Another Lube Thread

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:19 pm

The easy, degreaser-free way to clean a cassette is to use the method demonstrated by Christopher Jones recently.

I've been using this method for years but do find it easier with the wheel off the bike.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Purple Extreme. Amazing stuff that lasts ages

I used to think that til I tried NFS

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

RonK wrote:
Comedian wrote:I've tried many many lubes. I could list them all, but can't be bothered typing. Briefly all the rock and roll series, lightening, shimano ptfe, park tools, bike mild, all the finish lines etc etc and forum favourites like purple extreme. One time I worked it out and it was up to 20.

I ride a lot of miles. I can't stand having to reapply after 200k (which most of them are). I use a yankee dry lube called dumonde which gives excellent life 5-800k without noise and nice shifting and very very long component life. There were others that were also very good such as motorex and morgan blue.

Yes, over the years I've tried most as well.

Most of the current crop of chain lubes are wax-based dry lubricants. Everybody has their favourite brand which of course they swear by, but the formulation and mechanical action is pretty much the same for all of them, and it would come as no particularly surprise to discover than many are actually made in the same factory.

At a glance, Dumonde sounds good - but how much is spin, and how much is fact? Most of the reviews online seem to be made by self-confessed Dumonde lovers. Their web site does not reveal the contents, but says it's a polymer - that suggests to me it's PTFE, better know as Teflon. If that is so, then it is probably no different to Finish Line or Triflow. I tried them years ago, didn't like them much as a chain lube, but still use a bit of Triflow on my wife's Speedplay cleats.

I've settled on the waxed-based lubes simply because they are the least messy. Frequent application is far preferable to frequent cleaning. I'm reluctant to order consumables online and fly them halfway around the world. Rock 'N' Roll Gold or White Lightning are the most commonly available locally. I just use whatever is in stock.

Yes, fair call. Some points on that.

- I'm not worried about the consumables jetting around the world, as much of my bike stuff gets here that way anyway and it's only 1 bottle every couple of years. One bottle lasts a very very long time.
-As I've said before, I've just got too much on to have to reapply every couple of hundred k's. I'm more of a reapply every 2-3 weeks and I want great shifting and silent running over that time.
- Re cleanliness probably similar in cleanliness to white lightening and R&R but it happens over several times longer.
- The difference is with RR they encourage you to spray the lube on which acts as a cleaner which I'll concede it makes application pretty easy. You couldn't do this with Dumonde. Between applications you need to wipe with a metho soaked rag, apply one drop a link and wipe.
- I tried FinishLine wet, dry, and ceramic wax lubes and none of them last anywhere close to the life of Dumonde. Same for Shimano PTFE. The closest alternative I've found to Dumonde is Motorex Dry which behaves more like Dumonde Regular as it's dirtier than Dumonde Lite.
-Also, I've notices big increases in chain life since switching exclusively to Dumonde. It's hard to say on anything else as in the Campy way nothing else has worn out.

I think in the end you're not going to try Dumonde, but I've had a good try of R&R and lightening and made a call. :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:48 pm

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:11 pm

RonK wrote:The easy, degreaser-free way to clean a cassette is to use the method demonstrated by Christopher Jones recently.

I've been using this method for years but do find it easier with the wheel off the bike.

ummm... degreaser free? did you watch you own linked video?

I'll admitI use degreaser, used to use shell stuff for years and that worked well, recently got some stuff from the LBS, and it's amazing. But I will fully acknowledge that using degeaser has the potential to be bad on bearings and stuff, but i'll take that possibility of reduced life for the ease of use.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:20 pm

mikgit wrote:ummm... degreaser free? did you watch you own linked video?

True, Christopher uses a little degreaser in the vid, but I don't use any.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:22 pm

^fair enough.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Its clear some people care about cycling "performance" and a clean bike is an efficient and a fast bike. They want to get the most out of their bling bikes and equipment. I call those the "pro-wannabes" (I am one of those), so yeah I degrease my chain and cassette maybe once a fortnight and re-lube accordingly. I am pedantic and hate seeing a dirty chain and cassette. I think I will try Squirt next.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:01 pm

I was listening to this Saturday night while Fishing. It's interesting and this is my reasoning behind keeping the chain well lubed and clean. I do believe friction does slow you down as well as wear out parts. But yes it was a good podcast to listen to. Cheers

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:07 pm

mikgit wrote:
RonK wrote:The easy, degreaser-free way to clean a cassette is to use the method demonstrated by Christopher Jones recently.

ummm... degreaser free? did you watch you own linked video?

I'll admitI use degreaser, used to use shell stuff for years and that worked well, recently got some stuff from the LBS, and it's amazing. But I will fully acknowledge that using degeaser has the potential to be bad on bearings and stuff, but i'll take that possibility of reduced life for the ease of use.

I was about to post the same thing. He uses degreaser in the video...

That podcast posted above is useful. If you look at any mechanical vehicle, be it car, motorbike or bicycle, clean oil is vital to any of them.

The way some people go on about the bearings you would think they are made of pavlova. I would still rather use degreaser and keep my chain and cassette clean, lubricate accordingly and service bearings as needed.

I decided to go ahead and try Pro Link. My LBS stocks it and the last time they serviced it I was pretty happy with my bikes performance.

We'll see how it goes after a few hundred km

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:09 pm

How hard is to apply degreaser to cassette and chain, and not get into the hub bearings? geez its not rocket science. Bicycles are simple machines.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:If you look at any mechanical vehicle, be it car, motorbike or bicycle, clean oil is vital to any of them.

What you have been talking about is some minor discolouration. Pull the dipstick out of car and the oil on it will have some discolouration too. That does not mean the oil is no longer good to use. Or do you change the oil in your car three times a week, like you do the lube on your chain and cassette? :)

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm

RonK wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:If you look at any mechanical vehicle, be it car, motorbike or bicycle, clean oil is vital to any of them.

What you have been talking about is some minor discolouration. Pull the dipstick out of car and the oil on it will have some discolouration too. That does not mean the oil is no longer good to use. Do you change the oil in your car three times a week, like you do the lube on your chain and cassette?

I change the oil when it no longer looks golden. Clean oil means a well performing engine. Again, this is a silly comparison. Manufacturers recommend changing engine oil every 10 to 15000 km.... are you saying we should do the same with bikes? :roll: :?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Manufacturers recommend changing engine oil every 10 to 15000 km.... are you saying we should do the same with bikes? :roll: :?

Do bike manufacturers and/or lube manufacturers recommended changing the chain lube three times a week?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
I change the oil when it no longer looks golden. Clean oil means a well performing engine. Again, this is a silly comparison. Manufacturers recommend changing engine oil every 10 to 15000 km.... are you saying we should do the same with bikes? :roll: :?

Don't ever buy a diesel :P

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm

RonK wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:Manufacturers recommend changing engine oil every 10 to 15000 km.... are you saying we should do the same with bikes? :roll: :?

Do bike manufacturers and/or lube manufacturers recommended changing the chain lube three times a week?

I'm not comparing cars and bikes here...

You posted up a video that was apparently "degreaser-less" which the person in the video in fact uses degreaser and then you compare motor vehicle servicing schedules to bicycles....

Righteo....

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 pm

My Squirt bottle says it contains as much wax as is needed 'for the duration of a marathon ride'. A marathon is about 42km, so if that was to be taken literally, I'd need to renew it after every ride at least :)

It's a bit of a catch 22 for them because on the one hand they want you to choose their product because you need less of it, but they want you to use a lot of it so that you have to buy more. The marketing department must tie themselves in knots.

I find once a week is enough.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm

silentC wrote:My Squirt bottle says it contains as much wax as is needed 'for the duration of a marathon ride'. A marathon is about 42km, so if that was to be taken literally, I'd need to renew it after every ride at least :).

Is a marathon ride the same length as a marathon run?

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:11 pm

I don't think there is such a thing - strictly speaking a marathon is a foot race, although they do allow wheelchairs to participate. But informally, and for me at the moment, any ride >100km would be a marathon ride! I'd say the chain lube would outlast me...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Just want to say a genuine thanks to those who offered genuine feedback on the lube they use and why.

Unfortunately some of the other responses are really unnecessary. It really doesn't do any good to promote others to share a query if they are going to get flamed. Especially when those criticising are using ridiculous comparisons to prove their point.

I won't say any more on this topic other than thanks again to the helpful folk and will report back on my findings on ProLink once I've given it a good run

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Tri flow seems to work for me with both city road muck and off tar sandy grit. Not so good in the mud.
Modernish 10 and 11 speed chains just don't hold the lub as well as the boxy single speed ones. Also find that when a chain is getting near the end of its life, the odd drop of chainsaw oil assists on wet days.
Use one of these when cleaning a really nasty chain that you don't want to touch
http://www.morganblue.net/product/chain-keeper/
A chain connector like a KMC missing link also helps.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:08 am

Everyone will find their own way of doing it - when I notice the chain attracting grit and sand, then it is time to clean because I notice the crunching and that the shifting isn't as smooth while riding. It still shifts... but it is not as smooth.

A clean chain helps performance though to be honest, I am not competing so my priority is enjoyment of cycling which comes from smooth and silent equipment.

--

On degreaser - I usually spray onto a rag and then use it on the chain, cogs and bits. If I venture towards one of those chain cleaners - I avoid filling it with degreaser rather spray the chain and run it through.

Degreaser is not a must - but it helps.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Comedian wrote:I use a yankee dry lube called dumonde which gives excellent life 5-800k without noise and nice shifting and very very long component life.

I bought a bottle of the Dumonde Pro X Regular and applied it to my MTB chain the other night. I probably didn't ckean the chain as well as I should have, because there's still a bit of gunge coming out of it. But it's so quiet.

I rode the 12km to work this morning and it was so quiet. Rode home and went the hard way - up hill on some rough and dusty mountain bike tracks - and as I pulled in to home, I was thinking "it's so quiet". The chain wasn't noisy before and it's not completely silent now, but definitely a marked improvement after using Pro Link Gold.

Now I need to do the road bike as well.

I'll be interested to see if it goes the claimed long distance before I need to apply it again, but so far I'm impressed.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 am

About a year ago I started using molten candle wax with graphite powder in it to lube my chain. I've been happy with it so far.

The wax/graphite mix lives in a $15 rice cooker, ready to heat when I need it.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:37 am

been trying out squirt lube on my road bike in the dry. very impressed.

1. finger test, holds no grit.
2 . 200km and still no sign of needing to be redone. Did anyway.
3. washes off easily with turps, so not a chore to redo.
4. Minor but worth mentioning. Chain looked as clean at 200km as at 0km.

Return to “The Bike Shed”