Another Lube Thread

foo on patrol

Re: Another Lube Thread

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:34 am

Kalgrm wrote:About a year ago I started using molten candle wax with graphite powder in it to lube my chain. I've been happy with it so far.

The wax/graphite mix lives in a $15 rice cooker, ready to heat when I need it.

Cheers,
Graeme

Remind me never to have rice at your place, if I ever meet you. :lol: Bloody good idea though. :wink: 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Shred11 wrote:
Comedian wrote:I use a yankee dry lube called dumonde which gives excellent life 5-800k without noise and nice shifting and very very long component life.

I bought a bottle of the Dumonde Pro X Regular and applied it to my MTB chain the other night. I probably didn't ckean the chain as well as I should have, because there's still a bit of gunge coming out of it. But it's so quiet.

I rode the 12km to work this morning and it was so quiet. Rode home and went the hard way - up hill on some rough and dusty mountain bike tracks - and as I pulled in to home, I was thinking "it's so quiet". The chain wasn't noisy before and it's not completely silent now, but definitely a marked improvement after using Pro Link Gold.

Now I need to do the road bike as well.

I'll be interested to see if it goes the claimed long distance before I need to apply it again, but so far I'm impressed.

Good on you mate for trying something that isn't mainstream. Please report your experience. Remember not to apply too heavily. My experience is that from the second application it lasts even longer. From about half way through this guy does application?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kNSYjscqI&t=84s

To give you an idea.. my mate built up a new bike recently (campy record) with a new campy chain. It did 600k of the factory lube. We then did a full degrease to get the gunk off (factory lube is gluggy). She then applied the Dumonde. She got 1000k off that application, and re applied. She got 1100k off the next application.

I commuted with her and said "how long has that bloody chain done" and she confessed to the 1100k thing. The bike was still totally quiet and shifting well. The only indication was that each roller was brightly polished. That's usually the only way to know with dumonde.. and I buckle and reapply... :mrgreen:

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Dumonde lube earlier in the thread, Comedian.

I did the road bike this morning and now the chain on it makes no noise at all. I'm quite impressed. I suspect the the slight noise from the MTB chain might be due to the KMC chain on it. Road bike has a Shimano chain.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Shred11 wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience with the Dumonde lube earlier in the thread, Comedian.

I did the road bike this morning and now the chain on it makes no noise at all. I'm quite impressed. I suspect the the slight noise from the MTB chain might be due to the KMC chain on it. Road bike has a Shimano chain.

I have a KMC chain on my Defy, doesn't make noise. What kind of noise ?

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:33 pm

If very slowly turning the cranks, it's a soft "tick, tick, tick" as each roller meets the chainring. At normal speeds, it's a bit of a hum or buzz. It's not loud and doesn't sound bad or abnormal.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:50 pm

A bit hard to diagnose but could be that the chain is rubbing the front derailleur cage perhaps? How old is the chain?

I don't think it's the KMC chain, they are standard oem on alot of bikes...

Edit: is the ticking coming from front or back?

If from the back I reckon the indexing could be out slightly. I have that on one of cogs at the back but on none of the other gears. Apparently SRAM are hard to align perfectly (earlier ones anyway)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Purple Extreme. Amazing stuff that lasts ages

I used to think that til I tried NFS

Against my better judgment I have decided to try the special chain lubes again. Dumonde just seems too hard to get my hands on.

Ordered NFS and will be giving it a go on my commuter bikes. If it works out well I'll move it over to my weekend bike which I am currently using pro-link.

currently finished testing lubing with motor oil on that commuter bike (+degrease when it gets too dirty). Chain reached 0.75 stretch. It doesnt seem any better or worse than anything else I have tried.

Comedian wrote:It did 600k of the factory lube

I just put a new chorus chain on. Done 200km and I think I can hear sounds that make me think I should re-lube it. I have to say though the new chain is quieter and feels slicker on gear changes compared to the old one on pro-link. I also replaced it before 0.75 stretch, campag cassettes are pricey.

Comedian wrote:From about half way through this guy does application?

I usually put the lube on, scroll through all the gears then leave the bike overnight/week then wipe it just before my ride. I leave a rag threaded in the crank to remind me.

In the video, the guy lube > wipe > shift through gears. Anyone have any opinions on the order?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 pm

eeksll wrote:Against my better judgment I have decided to try the special chain lubes again. Dumonde just seems too hard to get my hands on.

Ordered NFS and will be giving it a go on my commuter bikes. If it works out well I'll move it over to my weekend bike which I am currently using pro-link.

Fair enough.. Dumonde it's not really hard to get, but it's certainly not widely available that's for sure. "My Life at Speed" and Art's Cyclery will happily despatch to your door. I think the problem is that until quite recently their formulation couldn't be air shipped due to volatiles and it hasn't been available at the big sites so people might not be able to bundle postage with other stuff.

eeksll wrote:

I just put a new chorus chain on. Done 200km and I think I can hear sounds that make me think I should re-lube it. I have to say though the new chain is quieter and feels slicker on gear changes compared to the old one on pro-link. I also replaced it before 0.75 stretch, campag cassettes are pricey.

That's really not very long. In Brisbane conditions... if dry I'd expect well more than 500k out of the factory lube. I've really got no idea how you could get that little.. I'm pretty sure I recall getting much longer than that on several occasions. It's messy though - needs a full clean to get the crud off.

eeksll wrote:
Comedian wrote:From about half way through this guy does application?

I usually put the lube on, scroll through all the gears then leave the bike overnight/week then wipe it just before my ride. I leave a rag threaded in the crank to remind me.

In the video, the guy lube > wipe > shift through gears. Anyone have any opinions on the order?

No opinion on the order. I tend to lube, run through the gears and wipe.. but I think it probably doesn't matter. What is really important is not using too much, and not wiping enough. You really can't wipe the chain enough with dumonde. It should feel virtually dry after - and if you do this then it's very clean.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Shred11 wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience with the Dumonde lube earlier in the thread, Comedian.

How's it going? What's the update?

I rode with someone who uses Muc Off wax this morning and my friend who uses Dumonde. Our bikes were completely silent, and her's was rattling like a biatch. I asked her... and she said she had to do it after every ride... Sigh... I did my bike last weekend, and it will have done about 320 this week... I won't bother doing it again this weekend... Maybe next weekend.. or maybe not if it's all dry running...

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Comedian wrote:How's it going? What's the update?

Pretty uneventful really. I've commuted by bike every day this week (which is unusual), so about 20km on the road bike (still silent) and a bit over 80km on the MTB - some of it off road on dry and dusty tracks. Both bikes are still running quiet and the MTB chain is cleaner than usual. I'm still a happy camper.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Comedian wrote:
eeksll wrote:

That's really not very long. In Brisbane conditions... if dry I'd expect well more than 500k out of the factory lube. I've really got no idea how you could get that little.. I'm pretty sure I recall getting much longer than that on several occasions. It's messy though - needs a full clean to get the crud off.

seems i was hearing things, still going good on factory lube.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:58 pm

eeksll wrote:
Comedian wrote:
eeksll wrote:

seems i was hearing things, still going good on factory lube.

That's good news!

It's 500 since the last Dumonding 2 weeks ago. Some damp commutes. All still quiet and shifting beautifully, but I got out the fridge wipes and cleaned the bike, and decided to do the chain again to make sure I get through the next couple of weeks. :shock:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Shred11 wrote:
Comedian wrote:How's it going? What's the update?

Pretty uneventful really. I've commuted by bike every day this week (which is unusual), so about 20km on the road bike (still silent) and a bit over 80km on the MTB - some of it off road on dry and dusty tracks. Both bikes are still running quiet and the MTB chain is cleaner than usual. I'm still a happy camper.

Updates? :o

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Comedian wrote:Updates? :o

Not much to report. I've probsbly put another 60-70km on the MTB and the chain is still fairly quiet and clean.
It will take quite a while for me to put their mileage claim to the test, I'm afraid.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 03, 2017 12:41 am

Kalgrm wrote:About a year ago I started using molten candle wax with graphite powder in it to lube my chain. I've been happy with it so far.

The wax/graphite mix lives in a $15 rice cooker, ready to heat when I need it.

Cheers,
Graeme

Graeme is this on your fat/sand bike?
What does the added graphite powder do? I'm guessing the ideal, act like a surfactant to improve contact with the chain and get under the rollers more completely?

I'm pursuing belt drive for my sand riding, however chain isn't leaving my life so I need to step up to a cleaner/better way .

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

That's where I first used it. Too much grit and stuff getting stuck to the chain with bottle-fed chains. :)

Now I'm using it on the other bikes too.

Graphite powder is a dry lubricant. It's what you puff into lock barrels to lubricate them. Having it inside the chain links can't be a bad thing.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks. I since read bottled dry lubes have a solvent for distributing it into the chain, so requires drying time, and brushing off old dry lube before applying new. Only 4hrs life though stated by one, made me wonder about the home wax melt lasting long enough?
A hybrid wet/dry is offered to try less mess with longer life. I'm guessing dry clean will be my preference, prefer under-lubing for my low mileage per chain.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 08, 2017 3:30 pm

eldavo wrote:Thanks. I since read bottled dry lubes have a solvent for distributing it into the chain, so requires drying time, and brushing off old dry lube before applying new. Only 4hrs life though stated by one, made me wonder about the home wax melt lasting long enough?
A hybrid wet/dry is offered to try less mess with longer life. I'm guessing dry clean will be my preference, prefer under-lubing for my low mileage per chain.

It would appear that doing the whole wax melt thing can actually get nearly as good mileage as I get out of Dumonde. It's probably cheaper too, but it's a LOT more work... :shock:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon May 08, 2017 4:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Purple Extreme. Amazing stuff that lasts ages

I used to think that til I tried NFS

Finally starting to try the NFS. I needed more than the 12 drops, did total of 24 before I felt the chain was quiet enough, although I did think another 12 might be needed.

The drops are HUGE out of that bottle. The bottle tip is the same as the stupid old version of the pro link bottle. However NFS is way thicker so doesn't suffer the same problems as the much runnier pro link. Overall quite a "clean" process. I am tempted to put it in one of those needle tip bottles I get off ebay for lube though.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue May 09, 2017 2:47 am

eldavo wrote:Only 4hrs life though stated by one, made me wonder about the home wax melt lasting long enough?

Some guys around here never lube their chains and report no shorter life spans than those of us who do lube. Makes me wonder when I read those reports ... Are we all just falling for marketing?

In any case, I know I can get many weeks of riding out of a waxed chain before I even think about re-applying the wax. My recumbent (with 2.5 chains in the power train) has done about 6 weeks since its last lube, at 10 hours per week. I might lube it next weekend. Maybe. ;) It's still very clean and leaves no oily black stains on my skin when I rub it accidentally.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:10 am

Kalgrm wrote:
eldavo wrote:Only 4hrs life though stated by one, made me wonder about the home wax melt lasting long enough?

Some guys around here never lube their chains and report no shorter life spans than those of us who do lube. Makes me wonder when I read those reports ... Are we all just falling for marketing?

In any case, I know I can get many weeks of riding out of a waxed chain before I even think about re-applying the wax. My recumbent (with 2.5 chains in the power train) has done about 6 weeks since its last lube, at 10 hours per week. I might lube it next weekend. Maybe. ;) It's still very clean and leaves no oily black stains on my skin when I rub it accidentally.

Cheers,
Graeme

I believe you bring up two important points.

Firstly, lubrication is not critical and even a little is satisfactory. Maybe even the little rubber collected from the road.

And cleanliness. My bike is constructed in such a way that crap from the road is picked up by the front wheel, and flicked at the chain via deflection off the downtube. Its effectiveness is brilliant. A recumbent sounds like a poor design. Personally, my bike is my alter and as such, is cleaned daily. I will wipe it, even if it is raining outside and I will soon be riding.

Rambling now. I have a cleaning station at home and work. To clean and lube is quick, effortless and satisfying for my soul. So it was with dismay that I discovered after one day and two days, of rain, that my chain was still not only lubed, but clean as well. My neurosis got the better of me and I cleaned it yesterday anyway.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Kalgrm wrote:

Cheers,
Graeme

Those are all reasons I'm wanting to divorce my wet lube and stick with the solvent delivered dry lube in bottle for cleanliness and convenience. Wire brush off chain and reapply is all I really have the desire to do once back to base. Off the beach with belt drive now I still shower the sand out of the brakes.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu May 11, 2017 1:15 pm

i'm on the auto transmission fluid at the mo...

so far its going nicely - pretty early in.
if it can keep this running - then it MUST be good stuff!

hopefully i'll last longer than 3,000km on this chain/cassette!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu May 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Nate wrote:i'm on the auto transmission fluid at the mo...

so far its going nicely - pretty early in.
if it can keep this running - then it MUST be good stuff!

hopefully i'll last longer than 3,000km on this chain/cassette!

I remember! Castrol had to make a special version of the manual transmission oils for Mitsubishi gearboxes because they were so rubbish. :o vx-m?

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri May 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Comedian wrote:I remember! Castrol had to make a special version of the manual transmission oils for Mitsubishi gearboxes because they were so rubbish. :o vx-m?

*nods* magic fairy juice that stuff!

Return to “The Bike Shed”