Cell Brunswick broken spokes

biker jk

Re: Cell Brunswick broken spokes

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:25 am

Cycleops70 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:OK, I've had a look further into this and ... I think the OP has unrealistic expectations.
I think it is completely reasonable to expect a bike promoted as being able to commute and tour, to be able to "commute" and "tour".

Or why Cell would expect a rider that needed a L or XL frame would be a light weight.
I agree. Moreover, there doesn't appear to be a weight limit mentioned for those wheels. If they were marketing them as race wheels (given the low spoke count) then they should have published a weight limit.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am

biker jk wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:OK, I've had a look further into this and ... I think the OP has unrealistic expectations.
I think it is completely reasonable to expect a bike promoted as being able to commute and tour, to be able to "commute" and "tour".

Or why Cell would expect a rider that needed a L or XL frame would be a light weight.
I agree. Moreover, there doesn't appear to be a weight limit mentioned for those wheels. If they were marketing them as race wheels (given the low spoke count) then they should have published a weight limit.
Just to add to that, here is a direct quote from consumer protection; "purchasers should not have to 'read between the lines'".

I'm not aware of the description of the wheels,I don't recall ever seeing this in the description (they have since changed models). But it is irrelevant.

The bike was promoted as it was. And a purchaser should not have to hunt out detail to the contrary & "read between the lines".

If I bought a jeep promoted as being an off road vehicle, but the suspension was not up to the job & failed. I would quite rightly be within my rights to call Jeep out on that.

I do not need to be reading through the spec sheet & tough luck if I don't know if the suspension is not inline with the claims made.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:
If I bought a jeep promoted as being an off road vehicle, but the suspension was not up to the job & failed. I would quite rightly be within my rights to call Jeep out on that.
A bit off track....but how would you quantify that? Not up to the job? FWIW, if you actually do buy or intend to buy a 4wd, make very very sure you read the disclaimers that come from the manufacturers. ESPECIALLY Jeep. Of course if you already are an avid off-roader, you know this already, and no offense is intended :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Sorta on topic, sorta OT, but if you read the fine print when you hire a 4WD most contracts say you aren't to use them off road. Similarly with department store BSO "MTBs". A lot of them will have labels on them saying the same thing yet they are marketed as a MTB which are normally ridden off road.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Did OP buy the bike online or go into the shop and discuss with salesperson what they wanted? If online Cell possibly presumed you had already done all the homework and thought the bike and components was suitable for your intended use and weight, if purchased at the shop then they definitely should of discussed in detail these issues.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Ross wrote:Sorta on topic, sorta OT, but if you read the fine print when you hire a 4WD most contracts say you aren't to use them off road. Similarly with department store BSO "MTBs". A lot of them will have labels on them saying the same thing yet they are marketed as a MTB which are normally ridden off road.
There are 2 separate subjects here.

I am referring to buying (not hiring & entering into a contract with the lender) an item that is not able to live up to its description of being capable of commuting or touring, as it was promoted to be.

Hire companies don't want you to take their vehicles off road as it reduces the value. They are simply looking after their investment.
They can apply any clause they want to the hire contract.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Ross wrote:Did OP buy the bike online or go into the shop and discuss with salesperson what they wanted? If online Cell possibly presumed you had already done all the homework and thought the bike and components was suitable for your intended use and weight, if purchased at the shop then they definitely should of discussed in detail these issues.
The bike was bought online, but not until I had had a conversation with Cell about what size frame would be suitable for me size. I was unsure if I would need an XL.

It should be no surprise that I do not weigh 60kg.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Was browsing the Trek website and saw this...
http://trek.scene7.com/is/content/TrekB ... -GB-AU.pdf

At least they come clean if there is an issue and have a recall. If Cell recognise there was a manufacturing issue, how come it wasn't mentioned as a recall...?
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:05 pm

If you have not gone the Prolite solution, the Shimano RX05's can be got at
http://www.ribblecycles.com/au/shimano- ... #pid=20262

For $123 + $16 delivery

(They are centre lock discs)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Ross wrote:Sorta on topic, sorta OT, but if you read the fine print when you hire a 4WD most contracts say you aren't to use them off road. Similarly with department store BSO "MTBs". A lot of them will have labels on them saying the same thing yet they are marketed as a MTB which are normally ridden off road.
I used to have an Apollo MTB. Bottom of the range model, but I bought it brand new at my LBS, so a cut above a genuine BSO. It had a sticker on it saying that it was not for off road use. What the heck?

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm

am50em wrote:If you have not gone the Prolite solution, the Shimano RX05's can be got at
http://www.ribblecycles.com/au/shimano- ... #pid=20262

For $123 + $16 delivery

(They are centre lock discs)
Thanks,

I've gone with the Pro-lites. At least there should be no confusion about what they should be capable of.
Should arrive this week.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 pm

RobertL wrote:It had a sticker on it saying that it was not for off road use. What the heck?
Lawyerese for "If you or bike gets broken while riding on anything even slightly dusty, don't come crying to us."
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

khendar

Postby khendar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm

RobertL wrote:
I used to have an Apollo MTB. Bottom of the range model, but I bought it brand new at my LBS, so a cut above a genuine BSO. It had a sticker on it saying that it was not for off road use. What the heck?
I have an Apollo Ascent which I bought nearly 10 years ago which had a Not For Offroad Use sticker on it.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Well, it just gets better.

The Pro-Lite wheels turned up today.

I couldn't work how to attach the brake disks. This being my first bike with disks, I wasn't too knowledgeable on them.

After digging around on the net, I discover these are 'centre-lock' wheels. And the Cell Brunswick is '6 bolt'.

It says on their web site that the wheels "Coming in either 6 bolt ISO or Center lock disc settings,".

'Settings' implies they can do both.
The box had been previously opened, so maybe there was something missing?
But the Pro-Lite website indicates the wheels come in either format, but must be bought that way.

So after all my interaction with Cell bikes, it seems they sold me the wrong wheels too.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Some would argue that centre lock is a superior system.

Centrelock wheels can be use an adapter to fit 6 bolt rotors.

6 bolt wheels can only use 6 bolt rotors.

Cheers,

Cameron

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:50 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Some would argue that centre lock is a superior system
From my limited google 'research', I'm inclined to agree with you.

But I don't feel the system is awesome enough to forgive Cell for, not only selling me a bike that couldn't live up to it's advertising, but to remedy that problem, then sell me a set of wheels that aren't compatible with the bike!

'She swallowed a spider to catch the fly'

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:01 am

If you told them the wheels are for a Brunswick then they shouldn't have sold you those wheels without letting you know a centre lock to six bolt adapter would be needed. I'd ask Cell to send you one for free.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Update.

Cell are sending out some centre-lock disks.

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:Update.

Cell are sending out some centre-lock disks.
Excellent.
Lets hope they are the correct size! :wink:

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Arrived today.
Correct size phew! :D

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Nice. Can be used with metallic or resin pads.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

am50em wrote:Nice. Can be used with metallic or resin pads.
I'm not sure what my pads are.
I put them on & set them up. They felt a little dull, not much initial bite, but I guess they'll need to bed in a bit.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Finished (I hope).
The red bar tape looks a little out of place now.

Thanks for the input.

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Nice setup (except for the bar tape :shock: ) for commuting.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:49 pm

The bike looks good - hope those wheels serve you well.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc