CO2 safe tube patches, suggestions?

OnTrackZeD

Re: CO2 safe tube patches, suggestions?

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 pm

I too was having trouble getting patches to stick after years of successfully fixing flats. Buying a small range of kits they all fail sooner or later.
What I found is that newer tube patches failed but old tubes they worked like how I remember so I began to experiment since I had all these puncture repair kits that were good for nothing. I came up with a technique that seems to work.

Rasp the repair area like normal
Apply glue on both the patch and tube
Let it dry completely
Reapply glue onto both again
When tacky apply patch
Keep pressure on patch for 3 to 4 minutes

I carry a new tube but I still want to be able to patch a tube on that day you get more than one flat.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm

or go tubeless and when you get a puncture use a tubeless repair kit .
like the dynaplug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEERmlSASY
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:36 pm

I thought the park tools patches were only designed as a temorary fix?

I've used the proper glued patches and never had one fail. Some of my tubes have up to five or more patches. I only patch good candidates though.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Yes, agree the Park tools patches are designed as a temporary fix. However we are saying that other methods that used to work now fail. I believe this is because some tubes are now siliconised.

To be clear about my thorn repair method using a thin latex patch made from disposable gloves. This material is very thin and while it has withstood inflation to around 100 psi for every thorn repair so far, I am now seeing these patch wear against the inside of the tyre. In some cases, this results in the leak opening again. So I do not recommend going that thin but it does prove we don't need a thick patch just to hold a thorn prick from leaking. I have found the best way to patch with thin latex is, sand tube, apply glue to tube (not the patch) and allow to set, then press the latex patch onto the tacky glue. That gets the patch on nice and flat, now dust with talc. A thicker latex or 2 layers would be more durable.